ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Will GM actually be able to deliver though? I still haven't heard anything on the Delayed Edition Lyriq I reserved in September 2021. They were projecting deliveries in Spring 2022, over a year behind their own timeline, with communications worse than Rivian. One guy I work with has a reservation for a Hummer SUV, he still hasn't heard anything from GM. GM can throw range numbers out, but it seems like they can't produce. It seems like GM's strategy is to throw numbers out there, and hope people wait it out for them, no matter how many years it takes. GM delivered 2 Hummers for Q1 2023, I'm sure both customers were happy though.
Sponsored

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I just don’t see the point in that much range unless you have serious towing needs. The battery alone in that will cost what, ~$25k?

I think Hyandai/Kia have the right idea here. Charging speed becomes more important than range above ~300 miles.

I find it much more believable that the market will migrate towards faster charging over higher range as things evolve.
I'm not even sure about towing.
Towing means your range is cut in half at least and you'll probably need to disconnect to charge.

Realistically DCFC with a trailer doesn't work out unless you're on a mission to prove it can be done but for the masses it won't work.

Driving around with a huge, heavy battery all the time just to tow an additional 50 miles doesn't make sense to me.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Will GM actually be able to deliver though? I still haven't heard anything on the Delayed Edition Lyriq I reserved in September 2021. They were projecting deliveries in Spring 2022, over a year behind their own timeline, with communications worse than Rivian. One guy I work with has a reservation for a Hummer SUV, he still hasn't heard anything from GM. GM can throw range numbers out, but it seems like they can't produce. It seems like GM's strategy is to throw numbers out there, and hope people wait it out for them, no matter how many years it takes. GM delivered 2 Hummers for Q1 2023, I'm sure both customers were happy though.
I guess GM really is trying to copy Tesla’s formula.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, the article linked in the OP is saying this is for the work truck, will be interesting to see what the higher end trucks compare and what If anything they are doing between the models to make the difference.
Don't work trucks usually get loaded down with gear, tools, tool boxes that typically stays in the vehicle if you are contractor ? Might not be very many fleet trucks that actually get that type of mileage.

gtbguy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Toyota Landcruiser Ford F-150 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I don't believe anything coming out of the Big 3.

KurticusRex

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD Sport
Occupation
Enterprise Transformation
I don't tow anything, but from what I've seen of DC fast chargers in my travels there haven't been many places I've stopped that would easily fit the truck + trailer for charging. For those who are towing trailers, how are you managing that? The RAN charger I used in Sacramento had one space that was pull through but even that looked to be a tight fit especially with a full parking lot.

Assuming you had to travel more than 150-200 miles one way and needed to charge it seems like it could be a pain to deal with.
the EA stations at Walmart are typically in a corner of the parking lot, away from where most people park. I drove my R1T from Chicago to West Palm Beach and back to buy a Camp365 travel trailer. I never had to drop the trailer at any of the Walmarts and no one had any issues with my trailer taking up space while charging.
Sponsored