Silverado 450 Miles of Range

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
With the cost of electricity here ($0.267 /kWh) that Chevy is going to be a *very* expensive truck to actually live with. My R1T was expensive enough, those numbers might have more range, but the per mile cost sends shivers down my back.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
With the cost of electricity here ($0.267 /kWh) that Chevy is going to be a *very* expensive truck to actually live with. My R1T was expensive enough, those numbers might have more range, but the per mile cost sends shivers down my back.
Not sure how you compute that, they both get between 1.7-2.2 miles per kW so the cost to drive them is very similar.

Am I missing something?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Saw an article that the 450 mile range is for fleet. Retail customers get 350

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yes, the article linked in the OP is saying this is for the work truck, will be interesting to see what the higher end trucks compare and what If anything they are doing between the models to make the difference.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Yes, the article linked in the OP is saying this is for the work truck, will be interesting to see what the higher end trucks compare and what If anything they are doing between the models to make the difference.
whoops, didn't read the OP's article

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

WT4 trim gets the 24 module battery, WT3 gets 20 module battery. Both trims will be available right away for fleet customers. GM plans to have lower trims and I highly suspect they will have additional battery sizes available as well. Fleet customers don't all need 350 miles of range.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I just don’t see the point in that much range unless you have serious towing needs. The battery alone in that will cost what, ~$25k?

I think Hyandai/Kia have the right idea here. Charging speed becomes more important than range above ~300 miles.

I find it much more believable that the market will migrate towards faster charging over higher range as things evolve.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I just don’t see the point in that much range unless you have serious towing needs. The battery alone in that will cost what, ~$25k?

I think Hyandai/Kia have the right idea here. Charging speed becomes more important than range above ~300 miles.

I find it much more believable that the market will migrate towards faster charging over higher range as things evolve.
That is probably true as ICE manufacturers tend to use smaller tanks but I really liked the 500 mile range I could get in my Jeep GC. If I was given the option on my R1S for longer range I would have spent the money even though the current range for me is more than acceptable.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Fleet customers don't want to have to stop to charge while on the clock. Better to let the vehicles charge overnight and not get anywhere near needing someone to stop to charge.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Wonder if Rivian is going to regret downsizing their max pack.

It seems GM can only make like 100 hummer EV's per year.

Even if these new models are easier and they can increase production by two orders of magnitude, they still are not a serious threat to Rivian.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It seems GM can only make like 100 hummer EV's per year.

Even if these new models are easier and they can increase production by two orders of magnitude, they still are not a serious threat to Rivian.
They have thousands of them sitting undelivered. I don't know what the reasoning is.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
The range wars begin...

https://electrek.co/2023/05/19/chevy-silverado-ev-electric-pickup-450-miles-range/

The Consumer RST will probably have something less due to wheel size and power.
Really this is closer to what I was hoping Max Pack would be. After Large Pack got upgraded to 328 miles. And maybe with efficiency gains of Dual Motor. But instead, looks like Rivian decided to continue to nerf and seems like they may not even release the 180 kwh Pack they announced so many years ago. All of this has me seriously considering going with a Quad/Large from the shop, instead of waiting for my order.

Now instead of "400+" we're getting "up to 400" and meanwhile competition is coming.. Chevy 450, Ram 500.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
That is probably true as ICE manufacturers tend to use smaller tanks but I really liked the 500 mile range I could get in my Jeep GC. If I was given the option on my R1S for longer range I would have spent the money even though the current range for me is more than acceptable.
500? my powerboost get me 700 on a tank.

The one thing I'm worried about my pending Grenadier is the size of the tank and estimated 15 mpg.

teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
The GMC version is fantastic looking. I like it much more than the aero-inspired Chevy.

GMC.jpg
I agree that it is MUCH better looking than the Chevy version and something I would consider purchasing. However, you know since it's GMC, the "premium" brand, that they will release the Denali 1st and it will be well north of $100k.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Really this is closer to what I was hoping Max Pack would be. After Large Pack got upgraded to 328 miles. And maybe with efficiency gains of Dual Motor. But instead, looks like Rivian decided to continue to nerf and seems like they may not even release the 180 kwh Pack they announced so many years ago. All of this has me seriously considering going with a Quad/Large from the shop, instead of waiting for my order.

Now instead of "400+" we're getting "up to 400" and meanwhile competition is coming.. Chevy 450, Ram 500.
What is the payload of the Silverado? Did I read 1200 lbs? Can't be right.....
Sponsored