Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Now this is interesting. Instead of having to upgrade your home's electrical panel, you can modify the the electric meter. This allows the charger to be plugged directly into the modded meter for a much simpler install.
https://electrek.co/2022/07/27/siemens-home-ev-charger-adapter/

Personally this is a double bonus for me since my power meter right outside my garage wall.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This does seem like an excellent solution for many homes where upgrading the panel would be a considerable expense. I'm thinking of all the 100A panels in older homes. I wonder if this would also be usable in newer 200A homes that want to go multi-EV and only have capacity in their existing panel for 1 EV circuit?

Although, the panel is only one part of the problem... I wonder how often the drop from the utility to the meter is not sufficiently oversized compared to the panel? And you'd still need to ensure there is sufficient capacity on your neighborhood transformer.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Personally this is a double bonus for me since my power meter right outside my garage wall.
It's a great solution, with a few caveats that the article didn't mention.
1) Electric companies are not known for being tech early adopters. I anticipate some electric companies will take forever and a day to approve this device for use on their customers.
2) Most/all utilities have some sort of security lock/seal on the meter. It will almost certainly need a visit from the utility company to lock/re-seal it. In my area that's $110 (not a big deal) but scheduling them is ridiculous.

At my residence, it's not a useful option since my meter is 90' from the garage. At my vacation home, it's perfect.

Sponsored

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My meter also on opposite side of house than garage.....would be interested to see how I could incorporate.

OP
OP

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
It's a great solution, with a few caveats that the article didn't mention.
1) Electric companies are not known for being tech early adopters. I anticipate some electric companies will take forever and a day to approve this device for use on their customers.
2) Most/all utilities have some sort of security lock/seal on the meter. It will almost certainly need a visit from the utility company to lock/re-seal it. In my area that's $110 (not a big deal) but scheduling them is ridiculous.

At my residence, it's not a useful option since my meter is 90' from the garage. At my vacation home, it's perfect.
My link above identifies utilities that have adopted this technology and can install these collars. Not a huge list but shows that it's not an impossibility.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The new adapter will enable electric car owners to charge their EVs by connecting chargers directly through the meter socket, which is on every home. It provides more useable capacity by monitoring total load and controlling the EV circuit to ensure the total capacity rating is within the limit.
Can someone explain this in layperson's terms? How does it provide more useable capacity exactly? Does it mean that if you have a panel that isn't maximizing your service level, this can make use of that capacity, or does it mean it somehow manages to get extra capacity from the grid?

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This would be pretty cool! My house was built in the 70s and it has a 100A panel. I currently have a 32A Siemens EVSE so if I can upgrade to a 48A one that connects directly to the meter that would be nice. Also I was thinking about the costs to install a second meter to be used just for EV charging.

Joneholland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If you have a 100A panel you probably also have an undersized feed as well. I don’t see this really catching on. Going to 200 or 400 amp service usually requires retrofitting the entire drop.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This is Siemens second significant move in the EV charging space in the last month. Very interesting indeed.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Avoids the need to upgrade amperage in older homes on order to install home chargers. To be ready in 1st quarter 2023.

Sierra7117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, 996
Occupation
Program Manager
Bummer this company isn't certified across the whole country. Checked and no go for WA state =\

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Can someone explain this in layperson's terms? How does it provide more useable capacity exactly? Does it mean that if you have a panel that isn't maximizing your service level, this can make use of that capacity, or does it mean it somehow manages to get extra capacity from the grid?
If you want to put in a home charger and your panel doesn’t have the space for it you can use this instead. As others pointed out it’s not a guarantee but it is a possible way to add a charger without having to get an entirely new panel.
Sponsored