Side steps, running boards or anything else to help short people

Kachook

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Mustang Mach-E, Odyssey and former iX
For those actual R1S owners, how many have installed any kind of assist device to help shorties hop into the SUV. My wife and my mom are both vertically challenged. My kids are spry so probably will not mind jumping into the back. If you have installed anything, please post some pictures. TIA.
Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
OP
OP

Kachook

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's several on this forum, but I installed the EV1 running boards on our R1T and really like them.

My writeup of the install process with photos is here.
The problem is that the wheelbase is different for the two and that’s why I’m looking for pictures from actual R1S owners to see what my options are. Plus, I am not handy so I would either screw-up three or four times before getting it right or would need to get this installed by someone.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
The problem is that the wheelbase is different for the two and that’s why I’m looking for pictures from actual R1S owners to see what my options are. Plus, I am not handy so I would either screw-up three or four times before getting it right or would need to get this installed by someone.
That's fine, but they make the running boards for the R1S as well. They have photos of it installed on R1S's if you go to the EV1/EVSportline page.

The difference is negligible for the part you use on the vehicle—the wheelbase is 14" shorter, but none of that has a meaningful effect on where you step, it all happens behind the passenger doors.

If you aren't handy, then you won't find any option for running boards for a Rivian that you will be comfortable installing, unless you live near some place that will install them for you or you know a local installer who can help. The Rivian is not set up for self-installed running boards, especially due to the aerodynamic shields.

JKDU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Professor
I have issue with the height of the R1S too- my wife is 5'2" and it's not very easy for her to get in/out when in all purpose mode and standard height. I spoke with Rivian SC this week (have it in shop for work) about this issue and asked if they are working on their own running board to help. He said they are working on something in-house to sell but wasn't sure when it would be. So i'll be waiting for their version when it arrives.

They also know kneel mode can be hit or miss too- sometimes it won't activate when we park even though it's set to. They recommended hitting the hazard button for a few seconds to capture the data when that happens so they can monitor when it happens and when it doesn't.

You could also switch to sport mode prior to parking to get it to its lowest setting.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
EVSportline will install in Atlanta or Van Nuys for $199, but it looks like that would require a road trip for you. You could probably find a local shop to do the install. They could watch the video to get a good idea of the install process and give you a price? Look for a place that does off-road truck mods.

OP
OP

Kachook

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EVSportline will install in Atlanta or Van Nuys for $199, but it looks like that would require a road trip for you. You could probably find a local shop to do the install. They could watch the video to get a good idea of the install process and give you a price? Look for a place that does off-road truck mods.
I talked to a good shop here (Gulf Coast Auto Shield) that does PPF, ceramic and other auto-related things. They said they would install. I still would like to see what real owners actually have. I’m not seeing real owners with anything yet.

OP
OP

Kachook

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Will that affect warranty?
Please verify your own state laws as well as seek your own legal counsel. None of the following should be construed as legal advice. I do not believe a modification Iike this one with proper installation would void the warranty unless the installation or the part caused or led to the failure.

According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)).
https://injen.com/ft-2436-magnuson-moss-warranty-act.html#:~:text=According to the Magnuson-Moss,2302 (C)).

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
For those actual R1S owners, how many have installed any kind of assist device to help shorties hop into the SUV. My wife and my mom are both vertically challenged. My kids are spry so probably will not mind jumping into the back. If you have installed anything, please post some pictures. TIA.
@EV Sportline has several great S and T options. These are the R1T running boards! I also created a discussion thread on them.

https://www.rivianforums.com/review-and-installation-of-the-ev-sportline-1ev-rmaxx-running-boards/

Rivian R1T R1S Side steps, running boards or anything else to help short people IMG_6974

Rivian R1T R1S Side steps, running boards or anything else to help short people 70240979602__50702F79-DD96-48E6-A720-A5FEF794A98C

Rivian R1T R1S Side steps, running boards or anything else to help short people 70240893242__A1142E02-FA23-4B3A-8DAC-7AA82D84A27D

Sponsored

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs