Sponsored

Side photo of R1S with liftgate open?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I guess it's possible that aero is not too bad with the front location, but I would be very surprised if it were actually better.
This calls for a comparison test! :)
Sponsored

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
My Thule box allows for some fore/aft adjustment. Doesn’t this model? That would completely solve the issue by mounting it as far back as possible without coming into contact with the lift gate.
You're right, but I'm already showing it as far back as possible within the front slot (that's the limiting factor, not the back slot).

Rivian R1T R1S Side photo of R1S with liftgate open? R1S with Thule back

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
To ask the question a different way, I'm curious why you believe that you will still need your Thule. The R1S is literally cavernous inside with storage everywhere (there's two levels of below deck storage in the back) plus the frunk.

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
To ask the question a different way, I'm curious why you believe that you will still need your Thule. The R1S is literally cavernous inside with storage everywhere (there's two levels of below deck storage in the back) plus the frunk.
Good point, however I tend to go on family trips with up to 7 passengers and lots of stuff, so I tend to think I'll still need the extra space!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I can't speak for Rivian specifically but in my Audi you can set the opening height yourself to pretty much any height you want.

Sponsored

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
You're right, but I'm already showing it as far back as possible within the front slot (that's the limiting factor, not the back slot).

R1S with Thule back.png
OIC that now. 🤔

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Good point, however I tend to go on family trips with up to 7 passengers and lots of stuff, so I tend to think I'll still need the extra space!
I typically put campfire wood in my roof box so as not to trash the interior. Even if I have unused storage space in the vehicle.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Do you intend to leave the box on all the time? If not what percentage of the time will you have it on? Where will you be traveling? Are there ample chargers? Are you really pushing the limits wrt range on those trips?

For me those answers would be

No
A few trips a year - say 10-15 days total.
Around Oregon, maybe down to California or up to Washington via I-5
Yes
No

In that scenario I don't really care if I'm getting 30-40 miles less range per charge because it doesn't have a material affect on me (aside from costing me 10-15% more to charge on the trip and adding some time).

Point is, I see a lot of folks hyper focus on range loss when it's really not that big of a deal. If your answers are different than mine then eeking out every last mile might be critical, in which case feel free to ignore this post :)

ETA: I see you have a lot more experience than me with EVs, so you probably have considered all this. But, maybe some other forum members have not.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I can't speak for Rivian specifically but in my Audi you can set the opening height yourself to pretty much any height you want.
Same thing in my 2016 Nissan Rogue.
Sponsored