First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
I own a Thule Motion 900 rooftop cargo box that I hope to be able to install in my forthcoming R1S. This is a picture mock-up to scale (to the best of my abilities), placing the crossbars in the middle and back positions (the front and middle placement might work with the box, but it looks weird and, more importantly, aerodynamics would be horrible). What Iā€™m wondering is if the liftgate could be opened all the way up, or if it would hit the box in the back. Does anyone have a side picture of the R1S with the liftgate open so I can have a better idea if this cargo box could be installed?

Thanks!

Rivian R1T R1S Side photo of R1S with liftgate open? 234240F6-D9C3-4019-8F7A-32E773C151F9
Sponsored

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
I own a Thule Motion 900 rooftop cargo box that I hope to be able to install in my forthcoming R1S. This is a picture mock-up to scale (to the best of my abilities), placing the crossbars in the middle and back positions (the front and middle placement might work with the box, but it looks weird and, more importantly, aerodynamics would be horrible). What Iā€™m wondering is if the liftgate could be opened all the way up, or if it would hit the box in the back. Does anyone have a side picture of the R1S with the liftgate open so I can have a better idea if this cargo box could be installed?

Thanks!

234240F6-D9C3-4019-8F7A-32E773C151F9.png
Maybe this will help if you can see past the people...

Rivian R1T R1S Side photo of R1S with liftgate open? 1659644412315

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Thanks! Looks like it might be tight...
At first, based on your photo, I thought "no way will it work"

The real photo with the gate open convinces me it *MIGHT* actually work.

Agreed, it'll be tight if it does work!

Sponsored

Evan S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T Adventure Trim, Quad Motor, BM/Ash, 20"
Clubs

The R1S has three mounting points for the crossbars, so it may be possible to mount the cargo box on alternative mounting points to avoid the rear hatch. P. 149 of the owners manual shows the three mounting points.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Thanks!

234240F6-D9C3-4019-8F7A-32E773C151F9.png
Hey! Doesn't the R1S have 3 set of engagement point on the roof?
If I remember correctly - it does and you would able to move the bars forward to eliminate hatch interference.

Rivian R1T R1S Side photo of R1S with liftgate open? 1659648456963

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
The R1S has three mounting points for the crossbars, so it may be possible to mount the cargo box on alternative mounting points to avoid the rear hatch. P. 149 of the owners manual shows the three mounting points.
True, but as I mentioned in my post, the aerodynamics would probably be pretty bad, so I think the range hit would be substantial. Here's a picture of what it would look like.

Rivian R1T R1S Side photo of R1S with liftgate open? R1S with Thule front

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
True, but as I mentioned in my post, the aerodynamics would probably be pretty bad, so I think the range hit would be substantial. Here's a picture of what it would look like.

R1S with Thule front.png
I wouldn't make assumptions about aero, it's not intuitive. For example, I seem to recall a Tesla M3 owner finding that installing a similar box backwards (taper to the rear instead of front) was more efficient.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the crossbar spacing between bars 1-2 is larger than between 2-3 which might provide better support.

Rivian R1T R1S Side photo of R1S with liftgate open? crossbar_spaci

Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I am just curious why you would do a roof top box instead of a trailer hitch swing out box? Better aero, easier to load and unload, and it doesnt block the glass roof for watching the stars?

Something like this..
https://www.drawtite.com/dt59109.html

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
here's a close up of the blue r1s with the surfboard...

r1s-surfboard.jpg
Well, that board is on the add on board/SUP bars so it sits higher.

As for aero, I think you're wrong on mounting points 1/2. Real world or test data will show, but I think 1/2 will be better for aero if mounted correctly. We'll see won't we. For your sake wish it was sooner rather than later, it's fun driving an R1# but boy is it different.

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
I wouldn't make assumptions about aero, it's not intuitive. For example, I seem to recall a Tesla M3 owner finding that installing a similar box backwards (taper to the rear instead of front) was more efficient.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the crossbar spacing between bars 1-2 is larger than between 2-3 which might provide better support.

crossbar_spacing.png
I guess it's possible that aero is not too bad with the front location, but I would be very surprised if it were actually better. With regards to spacing, the distance between middle and back mounts is still within the recommended range by the cargo box manufacturer, so should not be an issue.

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
I am just curious why you would do a roof top box instead of a trailer hitch swing out box? Better aero, easier to load and unload, and it doesnt block the glass roof for watching the stars?

Something like this..
https://www.drawtite.com/dt59109.html
First reason is I already own it ;), but more importantly, I also use a hitch mounted bike rack.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
My Thule box allows for some fore/aft adjustment. Doesnā€™t this model? That would completely solve the issue by mounting it as far back as possible without coming into contact with the lift gate.
Sponsored