Sponsored

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
If you need to charge two EVs but are limited to just a single 40 or 50 amp line (to prevent much higher costs), I hightly recommend the clipper creek dual chargers.
These are dumb chargers and don’t rely on Wi-Fi or other more sophisticated (and potentially error prone) mechanisms to distribute wattage between the two EVs.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So there is the under door gadget linked in this thread, but I also saw a lot of people on the net use a rv pass through hatch on their wall that lets them pass the charger cable through when they need to. Nice clean install too.
That will be my plan for charging an EV in the driveway. One of these would do the trick.

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

That will be my plan for charging an EV in the driveway. One of these would do the trick.
Yea that's even fancier than the one I saw before. Not the most kosher electrical code speaking, but shouldn't be an issue.

gunslinger201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T and a '22 IS500 Launch Edition
Occupation
Professional Scapegoat
This is a noob question for sure, but is there an issue with having the box inside the garage but running the cable under the door to charge outside? I'm concerned about the weight of my garage door damaging the charging cable over time as it will come down on top of it as the door closes... Any thoughts?
My issue is that for now, the truck will be parked outside and will need to be charged. In the future, I plan to reclaim the garage as a place to park an expensive asset instead of store garbage... :)
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Still not quite sure what I'm going to do, but it looks like my garage will be opening up soon, so this will be a moot point. Just need to get the charger installed now... :)

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Still need to complete the finish work, but here's mine. 2x Wallbox Pulsar Plus 48A in a load-sharing configuration. Allows each individual unit to reach a 48A peak or divvy a total of 48A between the two. I was a bit irked to discover mid-way through the install the additional sub-panel between the two wasn't necessary, but it works.

4D7872AA-ECD4-463E-AB9B-23D8D0D10D27_1_105_c.jpeg
I'd like to hear more about this install. If not a sub panel how do you wire the two units? Would you go into one unit and then come back out of it into another (does it have terminals in it for that?) Also did you put junction boxes behind the chargers or just come out of the wall into them? Thanks!

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I'd like to hear more about this install. If not a sub panel how do you wire the two units? Would you go into one unit and then come back out of it into another (does it have terminals in it for that?) Also did you put junction boxes behind the chargers or just come out of the wall into them? Thanks!
Strictly speaking the code does require an individual circuit per unit, though some say it's a bit of a grey area. The units themselves don't have daisy-chain terminals. The subpanel between the two Wallboxes was introduced because the larger subpanel on the left in this photo was nearly full and did not have enough room for two double-pole 60A breakers. However, we could have made room by replacing some of the existing circuits with quad tandem breakers. It would have been a cleaner and simpler install.

I'm actually not sure if there are junction boxes behind them. If they are required by code I would assume so because my electrician is pretty by-the-book.

Also, unlike the Tesla units these require a wired ethernet connection for load balancing.

Jakeblanton

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
06 CTD 2500, 00 Escalde, 2013 Yukon Denali
Occupation
General Manager
I got lucky with my panel being on the other side of the wall and 1.5 foot from the charge port on the Rivian.
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here Rivian install panel side
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here Rivian install charger
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here Rivian install charger side

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Strictly speaking the code does require an individual circuit per unit, though some say it's a bit of a grey area. The units themselves don't have daisy-chain terminals. The subpanel between the two Wallboxes was introduced because the larger subpanel on the left in this photo was nearly full and did not have enough room for two double-pole 60A breakers. However, we could have made room by replacing some of the existing circuits with quad tandem breakers. It would have been a cleaner and simpler install.

I'm actually not sure if there are junction boxes behind them. If they are required by code I would assume so because my electrician is pretty by-the-book.

Also, unlike the Tesla units these require a wired ethernet connection for load balancing.
Great information. What I was thinking about the breakers. I am surprised at the Ethernet requirement, I figured they would work over wifi for that sharing. I'm in no danger of having two evs, but trying to future proof a little.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Remember, it can be messy!! Just two 50-AMP receptacles for me...

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_5698

F1shSkier

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
Solar Energy Consultant
Clubs

Haven't seen any installs in a barn, so here's one. I had a Tesla Wall Connector hooked up, so I just removed that and installed the Rivian Wall Charger on the same wiring. Fairly simple!

Ditto on the comment that I wish it would stop blinking! Come on @Rivian, just have it turn the light off after a minute, same as the truck. My bats and raccoons don't need notified of my charger's status.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here 20220625_195413

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Juice Box and bonus view of RTT (iKamper mini) hoist. Tight fit for everything in my garage, luckily 13' ceiling.
JuiceBox connection Large.jpeg
I too am a fan of storing in the 3rd dimension. I have 15 ft ceilings in the garage that drop down to 10ft. I store a canoe in the higher portion on straps, but kayaks and our top box on the lower portion. I need to keep them hoisted tight to the ceiling so the garage door clears so I welded some hoops to slide the box into and hoist up. This way I don't need to worry about the straps stretching etc.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here 20220905_153452

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I got lucky with my panel being on the other side of the wall and 1.5 foot from the charge port on the Rivian.
Rivian install panel side.jpg
Rivian install charger.jpg
Rivian install charger side.jpg
Hopefully you aren't still all red...
Sponsored