Sponsored

Should I return to R1T......... and Trade in 2023 Tesla Model S to lease a new R1T

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
Sold our refreshed Tesla model S Long range and now have the R1S. I much prefer the Rivian. The only things that were better about the Tesla are: 1) much better efficiency due to being a lighter, more aero car 2) acceleration was more violent than the R1 (even quad) 3) supercharging availability.

The things better about the R1 1) Can go almost anywhere 2) better visibility/driving position 3) way more space for dog and stuff 4) more intuitive driving controls 4) better software updates that have REAL value for me vs games, etc. 5) better service - talk to real people who are helpful 6) don’t have to worry about scraping on dips and curbs 7) no Elon

I agree - go with your heart.
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Ultimately only you have the answer, based on your wants/needs. But if you’ve already decided you want a truck, wait after the platform refresh has been put into production.

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Yes. Return home to Rivian. We welcome you with open arms 🤗

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Rivian R1S quad motor
Last May lost my 2023 R1T........was totaled when I was forced off the California I-5 at 70mph +.

Replaced my R1T in October 2023 with an Ultra Red Tesla Model S Long Range $74, 500+.

The Model S is reliable, efficient (3.0+ miles/kwh), fast and hot looking but the Model S is a contradiction in design/safety and does not warm my
heart and soul like the R1T.

Am retired software guy.......70 y/o...........

To Trade in Model S and lease a new R1T.............NOW is the question?
ABT - anything but Tesla. If you can't get excited enough about an R1T or an R1S, try a Macan Ev Turbo to split the difference.

Sponsored

1965Cobra427

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S, 2023 Ret R1T
Occupation
Retired engineer & software developer
I have a ‘22 Model S Long Range and a ‘23 R1T Quad Motor. Love them both for different use cases. I make a 1,400 mile round trip monthly. Tesla is especially good for that. Rivian has great utility but stays local within 100 miles or less. Horses for courses as they say. BTW, I’m 72.

OP
OP
WhidbillyCraig
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
retired
You will take a bath on that Model S if you trade it in. But ultimately, do what makes you happy as long as you have the finances. YOLO!

Yes.....I will definitely loose on dumping the Model S............but
I made $20,000 in the Insurance payoff (I bought my R1T at launch price not $89,000)

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Last May lost my 2023 R1T........was totaled when I was forced off the California I-5 at 70mph +.

Replaced my R1T in October 2023 with an Ultra Red Tesla Model S Long Range $74, 500+.

The Model S is reliable, efficient (3.0+ miles/kwh), fast and hot looking but the Model S is a contradiction in design/safety and does not warm my
heart and soul like the R1T.

Am retired software guy.......70 y/o...........

To Trade in Model S and lease a new R1T.............NOW is the question?
I am in the same boat as you (though no where near ready to be retired), where I am deciding if I should offload my Model S (It has some qualities I am starting to like).

But thanks to Musk, I have lost close to 30K in resale value in the first year I bought it when Tesla dropped the MSRP. So I have to take a huge loss if I decide to sell it.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
por qué?

Are you owning and driving a Rivian and a Tesla in San Carlos Mexico?
Yes, I own Tesla's and a Rivian, and bounce between my places in Mexico and Oregon. I was also contacted by GM today to confirm my Denali EV order, evidently mine will be in the very first batch.

Por que no? Because if you have to ask strangers whether you should do something, then the safe answer is "no".
😉

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhidbillyCraig
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
retired
I have a ‘22 Model S Long Range and a ‘23 R1T Quad Motor. Love them both for different use cases. I make a 1,400 mile round trip monthly. Tesla is especially good for that. Rivian has great utility but stays local within 100 miles or less. Horses for courses as they say. BTW, I’m 72.
Agree!

The Model S is more effective road tripper...........Many 2700-3000 mile trips from Whidbey Island
to SoCal, and I love the Tesla Superchargers.
Even when Rivian gets to use Tesla Superchargers........they be will limited which ones are available to non Tesla's and will either pay a $13 month membership or 30% for KWH.

In Nov 2023......the Model S cost me $190 in Supercharging for 2700 miles to Socal and back.
Calculated the R1T Supercharging cost in May 2023 to SoCal and back around $500-550
and the Electrify America charging .............is a nightmare.

OP
OP
WhidbillyCraig
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
retired
Yes, I own Tesla's and a Rivian, and bounce between my places in Mexico and Oregon. I was also contacted by GM today to confirm my Denali EV order, evidently mine will be in the very first batch.

Por que no? Because if you have to ask strangers whether you should do something, then the safe answer is "no".
😉
I travel the world and gain a
lot of insight and joy...............from 'Strangers'.
Have traveled all over Mexico, was just in Merida last June.........nice , but maybe your much more familiar with avoiding some dangerous situations, I don't feel that confident.

OP
OP
WhidbillyCraig
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
retired
I am in the same boat as you (though no where near ready to be retired), where I am deciding if I should offload my Model S (It has some qualities I am starting to like).

But thanks to Musk, I have lost close to 30K in resale value in the first year I bought it when Tesla dropped the MSRP. So I have to take a huge loss if I decide to sell it.
We have the same Model S LR...........

Not happy with:

ergonomics:
Stockless, buttons for turn signals and horn (not even in the center steering wheel).
Shifting gears on screen with your finger on the little car icon.
No single function buttons, instead have to open the display screen and go through layers
of controls.

Safety:
Only Cameras and no radar for autopilot and self driving.
Have HW4 but can't tell if Tesla put there Phoenix Radar in my front bumper
No 360 Vision cameras.........no front bumper camera.
Tesla's are disadvantaged at judging more exact forward distance.
Also, my cameras have been blinded in heavy rain, fog and even darkness
and the cameras use might be why the windshield wipers go off erratically when in 'Auto' mode.

I will temper Tesla safety issues by saying .............I think...........My R1T did not terminate
Cruse Control (set to 70mph) when I was doing emergency maneuvers.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Here is a contrarian take:

Sell the Model S privately and...

...buy a used Model S Plaid!

Seriously. I've demo-driven the long-range Model S and owned a 2019 Model X Performance Ludicrous, still debating the R1S waiting to see if Rivian makes faster progress on the business side (4 quarters of cash left after adjusting for working capital and no nearby service centers = wait IMHO).

I picked up a 2021 Model S Plaid used from Tesla almost exactly a year ago and it's face-melting properties mixed with proper grand-touring capabilities and effortless charging are quite a compelling combination. I thought I'd get bored of it, and bought it to bridge 6-9 months to a R1S, but I haven't tired of it yet and still have plenty of warranty ahead of me. Super easy 250+kw charging, if you ever need it, is unlike any other EV given the efficiency of the beast. Heck, I can't even get the throttle pedal to the floor in Plaid mode on public streets, it picks up speed too quickly. Go figure!

It really depends on your individual needs for space, efficiency, off-roading, etc. but I'd offer the Plaid is nothing to sleep on, even if you have the long range.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
We have the same Model S LR...........

Not happy with:

ergonomics:
Stockless, buttons for turn signals and horn (not even in the center steering wheel).
Shifting gears on screen with your finger on the little car icon.
No single function buttons, instead have to open the display screen and go through layers
of controls.

Safety:
Only Cameras and no radar for autopilot and self driving.
Have HW4 but can't tell if Tesla put there Phoenix Radar in my front bumper
No 360 Vision cameras.........no front bumper camera.
Tesla's are disadvantaged at judging more exact forward distance.
Also, my cameras have been blinded in heavy rain, fog and even darkness
and the cameras use might be why the windshield wipers go off erratically when in 'Auto' mode.

I will temper Tesla safety issues by saying .............I think...........My R1T did not terminate
Cruse Control (set to 70mph) when I was doing emergency maneuvers.
Yes we do, and I do have a lot of gripe about this car. The UI definitely needs a ground up redesign when it comes to ergonomics and usability.

Please do not get me started on those damn auto wipers !

But, I am also starting to buy into Tesla's craziness on a lot of these decisions.
Hear me out on this,

The stalkless design was really irking me, but after owning this car for almost two years, truth be said I am liking the lack of clutter and the simplicity of operating some of these functions.
Yes, the horn is a PIA (though they are fixing it with the new steering that is being released soon), and the turn signals in full wheel lock is quite frankly useless. But for almost all the remaining functionality I quite like he lack of clutter.

To the point where when I get into a car with stalks, it feels clumsy and cluttered.

I do agree about shifting the gears on the screen, until I turned on the 'Auto Shift From Park' option, which enables the car to automatically put the car in the right driving direction. This is a ground breaking feature IMO.

You get in, buckle up, put the foot on the break and the car instinctively know which direction to move (without choosing the D/R selection), to the point I have started relying on it. I am genuinely hoping more BEV makers enable this functionality, in the same space as getting rid of a Start/Stop button to start a BEV.

I would recommend you give this a try. You will probably need about a month or two to get used to it, but once you get used to it, you will realise how good this feature is.

As for the 360 camera, while I have liked the 360 camera, I prefer Tesla's implementation, where the back and two side cameras pop up, which gives you a more natural view when backing in or pulling out of a parkign spot, compared to a 360 view (the bird eye view has always been a wierd view for me )
Sponsored