Sponsored

Should I fly out to Normal (from Portland) to pick up my truck?

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
My guide was super clear, because of Covid you can't do the full factory experience. No test track, no real factory tour. You can come into the lobby, view the plant through the windows there, and "see a sea of R1's"
Covid is and will be with us forever. Ergo, a policy of no full factory experience will last 1) forever or 2) Rivian reads and reacts to the first sentenceā€¦

UPDATE (via Dark-Fx):

Rivian R1T R1S Should I fly out to Normal (from Portland) to pick up my truck? Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.37.46 AM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

To the OP: RIVIAN's motto is "Keep the World Adventurous Forever."

I'm going to ask you a simple question about your R1T purchase. Why are you buying this truck? If one of the answers is experiencing adventure in ways you wouldn't have with any other vehicle, then I would absolutely go to the factory.

Make the drive back an adventure. Bring a loved one. Take some detours. And come back to the forum and tell us how you carried on.

Life is short my friend.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
To the OP: RIVIAN's motto is "Keep the World Adventurous Forever."

I'm going to ask you a simple question about your R1T purchase. Why are you buying this truck? If one of the answers is experiencing adventure in ways you wouldn't have with any other vehicle, then I would absolutely go to the factory.

Make the drive back an adventure. Bring a loved one. Take some detours. And come back to the forum and tell us how you carried on.

Life is short my friend.
OP has ADV bikes, so doing a trip like this in something as cushy as a rivian is cake.

Sponsored

sk05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
UX250H, Evo IX MR
How did your pickup go?

For those that did factory pickup in Normal and live in California (or I guess another state that also charges sales tax on new vehicles), how did you deal with sales tax? My guide said Iā€™d likely have to pay sales tax twice.

OP
OP
mgc0216

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

How did your pickup go?

For those that did factory pickup in Normal and live in California (or I guess another state that also charges sales tax on new vehicles), how did you deal with sales tax? My guide said Iā€™d likely have to pay sales tax twice.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-portland-after-factory-delivery-pickup.5660/

Also my guide said the same thing about double sales tax. I pushed back, and they did some asking and found out that it's not a thing.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

How did your pickup go?

No way

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
How did your pickup go?

I've bought a car out of state before. Was living in California and bought a Mini in Ohio. Didn't have to pay any sales tax in Ohio since I don't live there, only a temporary registration fee. I paid sales tax in California once I registered it there.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I've bought a car out of state before. Was living in California and bought a Mini in Ohio. Didn't have to pay any sales tax in Ohio since I don't live there, only a temporary registration fee. I paid sales tax in California once I registered it there.
If you buy out of state and pay taxes in that state you should get credit for what you paid and then pay the difference to CA. An example is if the CA tax would be 8k and you paid IL 5k you would need to pay 3k to ca.

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have purchased several new vehicles out of state. I have already had a valid Florida tag to put on the new vehicle. The dealer provided me with the Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO). I drove the new vehicle back to Florida where I titled and registered the vehicle and paid Florida sales tax. I don't see why it should be any different with Rivian.

When our R1T is produced, we plan to drive to Normal and take Factor Delivery. We will pull our Airstream Travel trailer to Normal with our Silverado Duramax and get a campground in the area several days before we take delivery. We will pick up our R1T and spend several additional days touring the area and getting used to the R1T. We then plan to hook the Airstream to the R1T and tow it back to Florida. SuEllyn will drive the R1T towing the Airstream and I will follow along in the Silverado. We are looking at this experience as an adventure and it doesn't really matter how long it takes us to get home.

Brian

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

spend several additional days touring the area
I hope you enjoy corn fields! Maybe toss in a few soybean fields as an exciting changeup.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We like traveling through the rural areas of this great country. We travel extensively in our Airstream exploring the nooks and crannies along the back roads of America. We are looking forward to visiting and exploring Normal and all the other small towns in the area. We are vintage movie theatre aficionados. We have already checked out the 1937 Normal Theatre on line.

Brian

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
How did your pickup go?

Not a thing. typically taxes are paid at time of registration when buying outside your home jurisdiction

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
If I were to have the option to get my R1S in Normal I would take it in a heartbeat . The drive back to Colorado is easy and would be a good way to stretch it's legs before I go on a bigger trip that I have planned.
Sponsored