Sponsored

Should I expect my car to be returned by service clean and undamaged?

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I've had my fair share of poor experiences at dealerships so I was excited to be part of the Rivian dealership-less model. Having them tow my vehicle to the service center and provide Lyft credits and/or a rental was convenient. BUT with that said, the slow pace at which the service center operates, the poor communication, damage done to my truck, and how filthy it was given back to me left a bad taste in my mouth.

My primary reason for the service center visit was to fix the underbody shield that fell off, yet they had no idea about this until I asked (even though it was on my work order). They had my vehicle for 2 weeks and out of all these items, only 4 were taken care of. Many of the issues required parts, yet I scheduled this appointment over 4 weeks out AND the team wouldn't even let me schedule the service center visit until they had all the parts.

I ended up getting so frustrated after waiting 2 weeks with slow as molasses progress that I ended up demanding my truck to be towed back to me. The worst part about it all was that I gave them the car in mint condition (better than brand new when they delivered it to me dirty) and what I got back was a vehicle covered in dirt. Dirt all over the floor mats, seats, dashboard. Plastic/silicone/caulk everywhere from the windshield removal. Small pieces of glass/sand stuck inside all the cracks of the door sill and weather stripping. A speaker grill filled with dirt and a large dent in it, and a gash in the driver side door panel, and scratches on the dashboard speaker grill covers from the windshield removal.

I got a good 3 hour workout vacuuming everything,, wiping down all the surfaces, getting rid of sticky residue off everything, and using an air compressor to get all the dirt out of the nooks and crannies. Some of you may laugh and say it's a truck and its not as bad as coming back from an off-roading trip, but the point is I didn't go off-roading and I thought it was reasonable to expect my vehicle to be returned in the same condition as I gave it to them.

Rivian R1T R1S Should I expect my car to be returned by service clean and undamaged? PXL_20220812_193854480

Rivian R1T R1S Should I expect my car to be returned by service clean and undamaged? PXL_20220812_193811449

Rivian R1T R1S Should I expect my car to be returned by service clean and undamaged? PXL_20220812_194105872

1. Windshield had a bunch of scratches. - Replaced windshield (wasn't even replaced by Rivian; they outsourced it)
2. Windshield washer fluid not dispensing. - Hose was disconnected
3. Missing trim piece on interior rear passenger door handle. - Installed missing trim piece
4. Hood and passenger side front bumper needed adjustment. - Adjusted hood

Items on work order that they did not fix while having the vehicle for 2 weeks:

1. Underbody shield fell off while driving.
2. Loud grinding/creaking noise when accelerating/decelerating
3. Vehicle pulls to the right and steering wheel vibrates on highway.
4. Scratches on interior b-pillar when received delivery of truck
5. Material inlay on driver side seat has bad stitching and is bunched up.
6. Driver side door handle is rattling.
7. Tonneau cover had dents when taking delivery of truck. - Will wait to replace when new tonneau design is available.
8. Spare tire compartment doesn't latch on right side without excessive force - Determined to be normal.
9. Center console buttons provide haptic feedback (click) when pushing them but they do not open unless you push harder. Basically when you feel the "click" the button isn't registering it being depressed.
10. Front bumper metallic trim is shiny and polished in a small area on driver side.
11. Crease on driver side gear tunnel door.
12. PAAK randomly not registering when walking up and key FOB sometimes not unlocking care without pushing it a few times.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

and I thought it was reasonable to expect my vehicle to be returned in the same condition as I gave it to them.
That's why I always send my vehicles to service extremely dirty, so they always come back cleaner.

OP
OP

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

That's why I always send my vehicles to service extremely dirty, so they always come back cleaner.
That gave me a good laugh. Thanks!

Mark’s RT-1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y and Model Y Perf. And some other EVs
Occupation
Bus. Owner.
Clubs

SF service center told me they will not clean dirty vehicles. They try to return it back to you similar to the way it came in.

Sponsored

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
Do you have a picture of the gash in the drivers side door panel?

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Based on your photos and some of the things on your service order you're making it sound way worse than it appears to be.

OP
OP

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Looks like the consensus deems this within the acceptable limits and I'm just overly OCD about keeping care of my vehicle. Unfortunately I just found out that now my automatic windshield wipers don't work after they replaced windshield. A little frustrating that they don't have a check to make sure all the sensors work after they replaced it.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Looks like the consensus deems this within the acceptable limits and I'm just overly OCD about keeping care of my vehicle. Unfortunately I just found out that now my automatic windshield wipers don't work after they replaced windshield. A little frustrating that they don't have a check to make sure all the sensors work after they replaced it.
Now THAT is a legitimate complaint. Breaking something that worked before is aggravating.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
SF service center told me they will not clean dirty vehicles. They try to return it back to you similar to the way it came in.
I hope eventually they plan to improve on that response. That is more like Toyota than Lexus, and at least for now, Rivian in competing in the Lexus space. Sounds like SF has some former Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota people on board. Need to hire some premium product people...

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
1. Windshield had a bunch of scratches. - Replaced windshield (wasn't even replaced by Rivian; they outsourced it)
In my experience, all manufacturers outsource it. Our BMW X3 had a cracked windshield. The dealer (a large “conglomerate” dealer with 5 or 6 dealerships) told me they outsourced windshield replacements all their brands. They would arrange the install when they received the windshield from BMW.

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
My truck came back from El Segundo with a big gauge in the paint on the door sill. Went all the way down to bare metal. Of course they didn't fix all of the issues it was in service for either, so now it's scheduled to go to the SF service center next week. From the stories I've heard about the SF service, I don't have high hopes.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I've had my fair share of poor experiences at dealerships so I was excited to be part of the Rivian dealership-less model. Having them tow my vehicle to the service center and provide Lyft credits and/or a rental was convenient. BUT with that said, the slow pace at which the service center operates, the poor communication, damage done to my truck, and how filthy it was given back to me left a bad taste in my mouth.

My primary reason for the service center visit was to fix the underbody shield that fell off, yet they had no idea about this until I asked (even though it was on my work order). They had my vehicle for 2 weeks and out of all these items, only 4 were taken care of. Many of the issues required parts, yet I scheduled this appointment over 4 weeks out AND the team wouldn't even let me schedule the service center visit until they had all the parts.

I ended up getting so frustrated after waiting 2 weeks with slow as molasses progress that I ended up demanding my truck to be towed back to me. The worst part about it all was that I gave them the car in mint condition (better than brand new when they delivered it to me dirty) and what I got back was a vehicle covered in dirt. Dirt all over the floor mats, seats, dashboard. Plastic/silicone/caulk everywhere from the windshield removal. Small pieces of glass/sand stuck inside all the cracks of the door sill and weather stripping. A speaker grill filled with dirt and a large dent in it, and a gash in the driver side door panel, and scratches on the dashboard speaker grill covers from the windshield removal.

I got a good 3 hour workout vacuuming everything,, wiping down all the surfaces, getting rid of sticky residue off everything, and using an air compressor to get all the dirt out of the nooks and crannies. Some of you may laugh and say it's a truck and its not as bad as coming back from an off-roading trip, but the point is I didn't go off-roading and I thought it was reasonable to expect my vehicle to be returned in the same condition as I gave it to them.

PXL_20220812_193854480.jpg

PXL_20220812_193811449.jpg

PXL_20220812_194105872.jpg

3. Missing trim piece on interior rear passenger door handle. - Installed missing trim piece

7. Tonneau cover had dents when taking delivery of truck. - Will wait to replace when new tonneau design is available.
8. Spare tire compartment doesn't latch on right side without excessive force - Determined to be normal.
9. Center console buttons provide haptic feedback (click) when pushing them but they do not open unless you push harder. Basically when you feel the "click" the button isn't registering it being depressed.
10. Front bumper metallic trim is shiny and polished in a small area on driver side.
12. PAAK randomly not registering when walking up and key FOB sometimes not unlocking care without pushing it a few times.
Do I misunderstand or did you demand your truck be towed back to you when it was part-way through its repair process? If that’s the case I would presume that they stopped everything and towed your truck back to you… hence it would not be cleaned and repairs would not be completed.

mohab

First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 LongHorn , Challenger Scat pack, BMW X3
Occupation
PHARMACIST

PXL_20220812_193854480.jpg

PXL_20220812_193811449.jpg

PXL_20220812_194105872.jpg

That is Terrible !! is that Orlando service center ? my truck is there for suspension issue and replace windshield !!! I have been trying to reach out there they just do not response !!
Sponsored