Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Good afternoon everyone

I have always planned on getting PPF and ceramic coating for my Rivian, when i get it, but a thought just occurred to me and I would love to get feedback.

This is going to be kept outside. As much as I would love to keep my Rivian in the garage, it is just not feasible. I currently have a monthly subscription for the three cars i have at the local car wash and take them frequently. I have the top tier of wash. Even though not perfect, they keep the cars pretty clean and the car wash keeps its equipment pretty nice.

If i get a ceramic coat, I have heard I should not go through the wash. I only take my Tesla through the wash, because the ceramic coating is pretty old and even getting it reapplied through the detailing isn't as effective anymore.

so the thought process is this: If my Rivian is going to stay outside when at home and get the elements and dust, is it better to just add it to my monthly plan and take it frequently vs babying the ceramic coat, hand washing at least weekly, and still seeing it get dusty right away?

any input is greatly appreciated.

Adam
Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
No, you shouldn't do either. It is a stupid expense that is the worst investment. It's a truck, not a lamborghini and if you're honest with yourself I'd be shocked if you hold on to the truck long enough to spot the years of accumulated outdoor wear. I say it as a joke but its also very true, the best layer of UV protection is a bunch of dirt.

PPF on a truck sized vehicle is easily $7000. A very intensive spot repair with clear respraying and touch up and a FULL wet sand and buff would cost about the same in 5-7 years IF it needed it.

Otherwise just wash your car when you feel like it and pressure wash the wheel wells and suspension components and continue on with your life.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I like ceramic coatings. They make maintenance easy, give the car a permanent waxed look, and aren't that expensive.

But I also don't take my cars through a car wash. I do a high power rinse once a week or so and sometimes give them a quick once over with no rinse soap and a microfiber towel.

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

My take is this: a few years ago, when cars depreciated, waxing and ceramic MIGHT make sense, depending on cost. Because a pristine vehicle would depreciate less than one with scuffs and paint wear.
Today, for the foreseeable future, cars are depreciating little to none, and anyone with a Rivian pre-order has $15-20k of depreciation protection built-in by way of the lower price. So thereā€™s really not much to protect ā€œagainstā€.
But PPF is a luxury as I see it, and really isnā€™t cost-effective since painting the car costs as much. So spend the money if you love the look (and Stealth does look cool) but I wouldnā€™t do it as a way to protect the investment, because itā€™s a false economy. Just my .02.

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

thanks for all the input. Honestly, resale isn't factoring in much... For me, it is an upkeep vs cost thing. i will pay X for the benefit of easier maintenance and rock chip protection but then have to baby the Rivian by hand washing, etc.... vs no having the slickness of the ceramic coat, or the protection of the the full front PPF, but can just send through the automated car wash when dirty.

decisions, decisions.... lol

Sponsored

Jafresh

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE LG, 2023 R1S LE El Cap
Occupation
Concrete Polisher
I have never got ppf or any nice ceramic before on a vehicle. However I did so on my R1T and I am very pleased despite the steep price. I would love to hand wash my vehicles but I do not have the time, so I also use car wash memberships. The car wash has beaten up the cars with swirl marks. With the R1T and PPF, it is not a concern. Iā€™ll also add I am on construction sites often so I am harder on my vehicles than most. And I plan on keeping the truck long term.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Looks like differing opinions here. I'll offer mine.

Personally I will ALWAYS get PPF on my vehicles. I'm a "car guy" with sports cars, motorcycles, and normal daily drivers. Doesn't matter if I drive it a little or a lot, I like to keep them clean/washed all the time. I'm getting a company car (Hyundai Accent) and I'm going to get PPF on the front. I never agreed with the "oh it's just a [insert vehicle type here], it is meant to be used." That doesn't mean you shouldn't keep it clean.

Again, just a personal opinion. There's no right or wrong answer here. It is your vehicle and your money and it is up to you what you want to do with it. Ask yourself this. If you get a rock chip on your bumper, how much does it bother you? How long does it bother you?

Me? I'll think about it forever and it is all I see whenever I walk up to it/wash it. If it doesn't bother you, or it irks you for a day, then you probably don't need PPF.

If you do keep the vehicle outside primarily under the sun/exposed to the elements, it is important you keep it clean. Just leaving the car outside in the sun all day over months will do a number on PPF unless you maintain it (wash, wax, even ceramic). So it will be more work for you.

There are also mobile detailer services out there that help in situations like this (cars which stay outside all the time) and can come once a week or every 2 weeks to wash/detail it. I assume this is likely not a consideration for most here. But if it is, that's an option too to keep an "outside car" maintained.

Last edited:

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I've been convinced to get PPF only on the very front. Most cars have grills, most trucks have GRILLS. The Rivian has a sweet, tender belly right up front and center. So I'll clad the midsection under the light bar, and perhaps her front lip above. Will probably ceramic the rest of the truck myself. Ingredients only cost $80-$150, and paint correction shouldn't be too hard to do myself on a brand new vehicle.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
thanks for all the input. Honestly, resale isn't factoring in much... For me, it is an upkeep vs cost thing. i will pay X for the benefit of easier maintenance and rock chip protection but then have to baby the Rivian by hand washing, etc.... vs no having the slickness of the ceramic coat, or the protection of the the full front PPF, but can just send through the automated car wash when dirty.

decisions, decisions.... lol
I'm also sure you could take ceramic through a car wash, it just might fade sooner. Most come with a 4-6 year warranty and a car wash would void that. But it isn't going to damage the car or anything, you might just lose the ceramic sooner.

PPF can definitely be damaged by an automatic car wash, though, and repairing it is a pita.

Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Probably only going to get PPF on the front and mirrors. We currently have a Ford Flex and it gets beat to hell on the front from rocks. The front of the R1S has a very similar profile, so I want to avoid a litte of that damage.

RivianuserR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40, Volkswagen E-Golf
This seems like a decent place to ask this question:

I want to use a window tint in the rear to keep the sun out of my child's eyes and to keep him cooler. But I also want him to be able to see out of his window. I'm debating between 20% and 5% ceramic on his windows and the rear window. I've used a 20% tint on a car before and it's not enough to block the glare of the sun-- but, that was on a car that didn't have a factory tint already applied. Does anyone have any experience with a Rivian or otherwise on which I should choose?

Also, has anyone purchased a sunshade for the front windshield of the Rivian that you are happy with?

Thank you!

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Ceramic: So...I'm not a fan of ceramic coatings because of the value proposition (i.e. they are 10-20x more expensive to apply than a sealant and will only give you 1 more year of hydrophobic protection if that). They also need to have special care to maintain those hydrophobic properties, so forget about your monthly pass.

PPF: I think PPF is like Brut aftershave: a little can go a loooong way. The R1T front end was designed as a rock and bug catchers mitt. I am a fan of limited PPF and have been PPF'ing since before it was a thing.

I do the partial application which includes:
  1. Front bumper
  2. Front fenders
  3. Partial hood
  4. Headlights
  5. Mirrors
  6. B-pillars
That should save you from the vile little projectiles hurling at your car on a day-to-day basis that are trying to ruin your day.

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Pro
I'll be keeping my truck outside. I just had my R1T completely wrapped in the XPEL Ultimate Fusion which has the ceramic coat built-in.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Very interesting. I wonder what the cost is over the standard Xpel and do you need to do expensive and labor intensive paint correction?
Sponsored