First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
At $1,800 to "upgrade" to the 20", it will take 2 sets of tires to be close to break even on the difference if each 21" tire is $200 more than a 20" ($200 x 4=$800 per set). If these tires need to be replaced every 3 years, it will be about 12 years before a 4th set is needed.

Since I plan to keep my R1S at least that long (I am hoping it's built to last that long), I probably should opt for the upgrade. Are these reasonable assumptions based on info currently available?

GR
That's an interesting approach. There could also be the added cost of electrons with lower efficiency on the 20s.

As a few people have mentioned, I think the bigger concern is really being able to find tires for the 21s if you need them in a pinch.
Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Here's one thing I don't see people talking about the spare. I plan on rotating the 5 tires so you will be replacing 5 tires. But is all the spare tire upgrades the same price or does it change given the wheel you get?
Rivian R1T R1S Should 20" Wheels be the standard wheel included 1628525642748

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Here's one thing I don't see people talking about the spare. I plan on rotating the 5 tires so you will be replacing 5 tires. But is all the spare tire upgrades the same price or does it change given the wheel you get?
1628525642748.png
It is cheaper for the 21" R1T spare wheel/tire. $600 instead of $800. Probably because it isn't forged and therefore is cheaper to manufacture. The "compact spare" for the R1S is the same price no matter which wheel you option.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
1628525642748.png
It changes price with wheel.

It’s actually a very good value for wheel and tire, if you’ve ever had to replace an OEM wheel you’ll know how absurdly expensive they can be, even for a cast wheel nevermind forged.

Last edited:

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

It changes price with wheel.

It’s actually a very good value for wheel and tire, if you’ve ever had to replace an OEM wheel you’ll know how absurdly expensive they can be, even for a cast wheel nevermind forged.
and remember this comes with the tools.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I think you miss the point here. Are there times where you need large battery packs with huge range, sure... In reality, 250 miles is more than enough for so many use cases. I would offer that 90+% of the use cases for an EV has no requirement for range beyond 150 miles so a 250 mile range is plenty.
I agree with you and I say that as someone who can spend a lot of time driving long distances to get to off-road/adventure-type destinations.

For our uses, the range means absolutely nothing if we can’t do what we want to do when we switch from on-road driving to off-road driving. To me, capability is what counts most and range is just one aspect of capability. Beyond that, having chargers available at key locations is what mitigates concerns about range.

While I’m sure others out there would be smitten with such a vehicle, a hypothetical EV with 600 miles of range on a full charge which struggles to go over a speed bump because of low ride height dictated by aerodynamics isn’t “king” of anything for my uses.

The way I see it, I can charge on-demand to extend the distance I can drive before running out of power but there is nothing I can do on-demand to give additional off-road, people-hauling, and/or cargo-carrying capability.

Any modifications (lift kits, different wheels and tires, cargo boxes, trailers, etc.) you’d need to make to improve capability in a range-optimized EV would be way more than the small investment of time and money of simply plugging in for a fast charge in a well-rounded capability EV. Oh, and those modifications would probably reduce the range enough that a range-obsessed person would want to remove them for normal driving.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

In the spring of this year I contacted CS and this is how they described the following:

"Regarding the differences of range for the 20" and 22", without any final specifications yet to be released on the range, it's hard to say which one will affect mileage rage the most. Your Guide will be able to answer this question better when they reach out for introductions. I want to share that the 21" design is the best for the range of all three sets of tires offered and any accessories added to the top would have a design engineered to obtain maximum aerodynamics."
As usual it's a partial answer with more to come. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about with 21" rims and tires. I've had my Q7's with both Pirelli and Michelin 275-40R21-RTX type tires over the past years with no problems.
After discussing this with the CS I changed my Configuration to the 21" choice because range is important in this EVolution Rivian is trying to make happen .
One thing to keep in mind with the 21" is that when it launches it will be the only production car with that specific wheel size, per Rivian CS. I think that means availability and price will be a concern.

I also heard from CS that 21" is expected to have the best range. TBH, I think you should go for the 20" because that's a very common tire size, lots of choices and you can get all season once the all terrains wear down and you should get some of that range back. and the 20" will allow you to have more ability to traverse off-road like conditions more confidently. i think the 22' are basically for those who will only drive on paved roads and want the look of a vehicles that's more sporty than all-terrainy.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think you miss the point here. Are there times where you need large battery packs with huge range, sure... In reality, 250 miles is more than enough for so many use cases. I would offer that 90+% of the use cases for an EV has no requirement for range beyond 150 miles so a 250 mile range is plenty.

Using your level of thinking we should all rent u-hauls when we go to the grocery store because we may want to buy something that won't fit in the current vehicle.

Are there cases where range is king, sure, is it the majority of the use cases, not even close.
my use case lends itself to the regular sized battery. However, where I live there is the matter of brutal winters, which take up most of the year. -30 temps really eat range. The more capacity the better. there are lots of long drives In winter.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Interesting that the 21" is a unique tire. If my luck holds that means at 1100 miles in the middle of nowhere NC i will have a staple in the shoulder and be stranded, with no means to get a new one to replace outside the full size spare ? i mean that really incents you to make sure that spare is there.

(Lost a tire in our Model X 1100 miles on first attempt at a road trip, fortunately was able to fill/run/fill/run until got back 100 miles to someone who had a tire in stock) That's when I discovered they don't even come with goo/compressor like our Bolt did.

The rim size bothers me for 'off road' vehicle. usually you want smaller rim / larger tire. Them low profile tires pop pretty fast pinched against the simplest rocks.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I don't see that happening. 21" is an oddball wheel size, and I doubt manufacturers will start adding many (or any) options in a unicorn size.
We had a Honda Odyssey back in the day and Honda equipped these with Michelin runflat that they thought more manufactures Would adopt. No one adopt the tire that I know of and we’re stuck with this is the only tire you can continue to put up that wheel as it was deemed a safety feature of the odyssey. Lesson learned, don’t buy an odd ball tire or size

Sponsored

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
On the other hand, I'm on my second EV, Rivian will be my third, and I completely disagree with you. 250 real-world is demonstrably enough for most people and most circumstances.

But something tells me that you won't find that convincing. ?
I know this is probably derailing the conversation away from tires, but I am with @TessP100D on this.

Every vehicle that has two or four wheels will do 90% what we use the vehicles for. The reason I intend to purchase a Rivian is to be able to do most of the 10% remaining use cases. Otherwise why would anyone pay $80-100K to do what every other car can do?

If the range and lack of charging options are limiting me to do what I want and need, there is no point to this vehicle IMHO.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Now that EPA numbers have been released, what do people think about 20" vs 21" wheels?

GR

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Now that EPA numbers have been released, what do people think about 20" vs 21" wheels?

GR
I’ve always had my R1S configured with 22s. EPA actually came out very close to what people were guessing. I’m staying with the 22’s, I should still be close to the 300 with them.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

GR
It's about what I expected. I'll be curious to see what any range extender modes do and true 70 mph range tests produce.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

GR
For my use case, zero impact. Wheel/tire choice will remain 20” AT
Sponsored