Sponsored

Should 20" Wheels be the standard wheel included

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
It’s also crazy how opaque this is! Totally unclear when selecting wheels. I bet a HUGE majority of preorders 1) have 21s optioned because they’re included and 2) have no idea of the custom tire size idiocy.
That's me until I read this thread.:whew:

GR
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
At first it didn't bother me much but the more I think about it the more it kinda gnaws at me. Currently the configurator has the included wheel as the 21" Road. And you have to pay extra for the 22" Sport or 20" All-Terrain option. I know this is not that uncommon in the industry to charge more for different wheel options, but don't you think the included (standard) wheel should be the 20" All-Terrain? This is advertised as an adventure, off-road vehicle so you'd think the 20s would be the included wheel. Anyone else think they should change this?
I agree that the 20" is a better default size, but I do not think they should make it the default option unless came with a road tire.

Tires will have a huge impact on range. If they change the default tires to All-Terrain tires, they probably couldn't advertise the vehicle as having 300+mile range any more.

Even if they expect that 90% of their customers will opt for the AT tires, it makes sense to have road tires be the default option so they get the benefit of advertising a larger range. 300 miles sounds about 2x as good as 250 miles, even if the vast majority of the time, 250 miles is more than enough.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yeah, that scares me a lot. As others have mentioned, what happens when you get a flat on a road trip that can't be plugged or patched? You have to wait for a tire to be shipped to wherever the heck you are? What an oddball (stupid) decision to go with a completely unique tire size!
Since Rivian vehicles have 4 wheel independent motors and suspension, I'm really curious if they will be able to accommodate different tire sizes at every corner. Being able to put any 21" tire onto the truck to get you going again would be ideal.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Since Rivian vehicles have 4 wheel independent motors and suspension, I'm really curious if they will be able to accommodate different tire sizes at every corner. Being able to put any 21" tire onto the truck to get you going again would be ideal.
Interesting question. Most AWD systems have problems with tires that are worn differently (can't usually put a new tire on one corner with the other 3 heavily worn). I would be surprised if Rivan is going to invest the time and resources into programming their control system to be sophisticated enough to deal with completely different diameter tires. From Tire Rack, it looks like the closest size they have is 275/50R21. They have just 6 models in that size. 275/45R21 has 36 models.

The 20" size that Rivian is using is a 275/65R20. There are 40 models in that size. It's a very common size.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The 20" size that Rivian is using is a 275/65R20. There are 40 models in that size. It's a very common size.
275/60R20 would be a good option too (assuming you are changing out all 4 corners). That is the same diameter as the OEM 21 and 22 tires, and there are 57 models in that size at tire rack. Even more common.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
275/60R20 would be a good option too (assuming you are changing out all 4 corners). That is the same diameter as the OEM 21 and 22 tires, and there are 57 models in that size at tire rack. Even more common.
Good shout. I have been leaning toward just sticking with the standard 21" wheels, but the issue of it being literally the only car with that size is very disappointing. Getting those and then switching to 275/60R20 with a good aftermarket set of rims and tires when those die might be a good option. I'm sure there will be some reasonable aerodynamic rims available and there will definitely be good low-rolling resistance tire options.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
This. People that are concerned about range might get even better range with the 20" wheels & an AS tire in this size.

I'm anti-21" for practical reasons, & 20" wheel with non-AT tire in a very similar size to the OEM 21 & 22" tires could be a big winner.

While I like the OEM forged 20s & think it might be worth the additional price for non-LE buyers, another option would be to get the free 21s and just go aftermarket for 20" wheels & tires. You might be able to sell the 21s (big maybe) and recoup some of the cost, while having a much larger selection of wheels & tires to suit your preferred look and usage.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

This. People that are concerned about range might get even better range with the 20" wheels & an AS tire in this size.

I'm anti-21" for practical reasons, & 20" wheel with non-AT tire in a very similar size to the OEM 21 & 22" tires could be a big winner.

While I like the OEM forged 20s & think it might be worth the additional price for non-LE buyers, another option would be to get the free 21s and just go aftermarket for 20" wheels & tires. You might be able to sell the 21s (big maybe) and recoup some of the cost, while having a much larger selection of wheels & tires to suit your preferred look and usage.

Also for those who are wondering getting the $1,800 for 20" option is a massive steal.

$1800 for forged 20's is an amazing bargain + the off road tires that you could easily seller compared to the odd size of 21's. Even if you don't want the off road tires, the forged wheels + a eco 20" tire would be a way smarter move and probably a lot easier than unloading some 21's.

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I'm not sure how great a deal the $1800 upgrade really. I think it's fair, but not amazing.

Someone else (I don't recall who) pointed out that it really costs you the value of the standard wheels + $1800. So if the value (cost to buy) four 21" rims & tires is $2200 (made up number) then the upgrade really costs $4000 since you don't have the standard wheels & tires anymore.

Having said that, from what I saw it's still a fair price and at this point I am planning to pony up the extra $1800 to get the 20" ATs.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I like Fuel Wheels, so just for grins I looked up their forged options in 20". You're looking at $750+ per wheel...

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Interesting question. Most AWD systems have problems with tires that are worn differently (can't usually put a new tire on one corner with the other 3 heavily worn). I would be surprised if Rivan is going to invest the time and resources into programming their control system to be sophisticated enough to deal with completely different diameter tires. From Tire Rack, it looks like the closest size they have is 275/50R21. They have just 6 models in that size. 275/45R21 has 36 models.

Well, since the spare for the R1S is a donut and not a full size spare, I can definitely see it being a consideration in their programming.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, since the spare for the R1S is a donut and not a full size spare, I can definitely see it being a consideration in their programming.
hmm... ok, first, it's not a donut--which is full diameter but narrower than a normal tire. It's a collapsed inflatable spare. But the interesting question will be whether someone who gets a 21 or 22" set of wheels will get a different collapsed spare than someone who gets one of the 20" options. With the R1T, I believe the spare is going to just be a 5th of the same wheel and tire. With the R1S I imagine they will provide a different spare based on which wheel you're getting.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I agree that the 20" is a better default size, but I do not think they should make it the default option unless came with a road tire.

Tires will have a huge impact on range. If they change the default tires to All-Terrain tires, they probably couldn't advertise the vehicle as having 300+mile range any more.

Even if they expect that 90% of their customers will opt for the AT tires, it makes sense to have road tires be the default option so they get the benefit of advertising a larger range. 300 miles sounds about 2x as good as 250 miles, even if the vast majority of the time, 250 miles is more than enough.
You are correct except 250 miles is not enough range. Not even close.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Well. In this case. Some people. A small percentage will be happy with 250 miles.
a majority won’t be happy. They just know it yet, unless they already own a Tesla.

range is so important. For many reasons.

think of owning a boat. Sounds great. Until you really find how much they cost to operate, store and maintain.

juts trying help people out who are new to EV. Not trying to be a Dick.

peace.
Sponsored