Sponsored

Should 20" Wheels be the standard wheel included

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

At first it didn't bother me much but the more I think about it the more it kinda gnaws at me. Currently the configurator has the included wheel as the 21" Road. And you have to pay extra for the 22" Sport or 20" All-Terrain option. I know this is not that uncommon in the industry to charge more for different wheel options, but don't you think the included (standard) wheel should be the 20" All-Terrain? This is advertised as an adventure, off-road vehicle so you'd think the 20s would be the included wheel. Anyone else think they should change this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I don't have any issues with this. Rivian has indicated the 20" is a forged wheel whereas the others are flow formed. Forged wheels are lighter and help offset the extra weight of the AT tire but are considerably more expensive.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

When "Range is King", as some famous people here have opined, the more efficient '21s will likely continue to be standard equipment.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I think as long as one set of wheels is included as standard equipment, I am fine with that. To me, it's fair for manufacturers to charge extra for optional equipments that either cost more and/or offer additional/more desirable features.

GR

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
I think once more tire companies start making different AT variants for the 21" wheels it won't matter much

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I think once more tire companies start making different AT variants for the 21" wheels it won't matter much
I don't see that happening. 21" is an oddball wheel size, and I doubt manufacturers will start adding many (or any) options in a unicorn size.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I do think it’s a bit ridiculous to have the only standard wheel be a completely custom tire size. Do you know how overpriced those tires are going to be? Nuts. Heaven forbid you lose a tire in the middle of nowhere and need to buy a replacement.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
I don't see that happening. 21" is an oddball wheel size, and I doubt manufacturers will start adding many (or any) options in a unicorn size.
I bet there will be at least some options if Rivian does well. at least thats what I tell myself to justify not buying the 20s like I want ?

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I do think it’s a bit ridiculous to have the only standard wheel be a completely custom tire size. Do you know how overpriced those tires are going to be? Nuts. Heaven forbid you lose a tire in the middle of nowhere and need to buy a replacement.
Yeah, that’s one of the reasons I’m going with the 20s. Why in the world would you create a custom tire size?

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Yeah, that’s one of the reasons I’m going with the 20s. Why in the world would you create a custom tire size?
I have no clue 21" is custom size. Perhaps I need to look into ordering other size wheels then. However, unless 21" tires is twice as much as other sizes, it would take 2 to 3 sets of tires to break even.

GR

Sponsored

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I have no clue 21" is custom size. Perhaps I need to look into ordering other size wheels then. However, unless 21" tires is twice as much as other sizes, it would take 2 to 3 sets of tires to break even.

GR
Its both the price and the number of options you're going to have with the 21s. Here's info I had gotten previously from Rivian:

20" wheel: Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus
size: 275/65R20
designed for off-roading
outer diameter of the tire is 34 in.

21" wheel: Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
size: 275/55R21 (only vehicles in the world that will have this sized tire)
designed for efficiency and range, low rolling resistance
outer diameter of the tire is 33 in.

22" wheel: Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season
size: 275/50R22
designed for max performance, max grip and stability while still offering the low rolling resistance benefits

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
21" wheel: Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
size: 275/55R21 (only vehicles in the world that will have this sized tire)
designed for efficiency and range, low rolling resistance
Yeah, that scares me a lot. As others have mentioned, what happens when you get a flat on a road trip that can't be plugged or patched? You have to wait for a tire to be shipped to wherever the heck you are? What an oddball (stupid) decision to go with a completely unique tire size!

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
It’s also crazy how opaque this is! Totally unclear when selecting wheels. I bet a HUGE majority of preorders 1) have 21s optioned because they’re included and 2) have no idea of the custom tire size idiocy.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
The new S Class Mercedes are available with 21" wheels, so it may not be as rare as feared.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The new S Class Mercedes are available with 21" wheels, so it may not be as rare as feared.
Wheel rim diameter isn't the only dimension for tires. What's the width of those wheels? And what's the sidewall aspect ratio? I'll bet they're narrower than 275 and much lower aspect ratio than 55. (Rivian's 21" wheels use 275/55R21's).
Sponsored