Shipping time estimates from Normal?

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
I had a Rivian on order last year, but lucked into an F-150 Lightning last September, so I canceled my R1T order. When I saw the announcement that Rivian could potentially get you an R1T in two weeks, depending on the location, so I jumped and put down a deposit.

I am in Denver, which seems to be one of the ground zero delivery spots for Rivian, so I was optimistic that the process could move quickly. I was granted store access within 36 hours of my deposit and picked out a nice white R1T Adventure with the 22's in black. It seems the vehicle I chose is an early April build and was still sitting in Normal, so I inquired if I could arrange for factory pick up. My guide shared that the vehicle was already in the shipping queue for rail delivery to Denver and would be available for pick up in four to six weeks.

I was curious on what others have seen for vehicle delivery times from Normal? Last May I had a vehicle delivered from Germany to Denver faster than this window, and wanted to hear from others on what they experienced since four to six weeks to move a vehicle 850 miles seems like a long time.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
When I got a VIN back in APR they said it was in Normal and ready to be shipped to Denver. No info on transit until they said it was ready to pick up (this weekend) which will be a little over 6 weeks from VIN. Not sure the actual in-transit time was, but they also keep it a few days for inspection. Denver SC said they were ‘experiencing a shortage of rail cars’ but they made it seem like they get them in about once a (mid) month.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Normal to Richmond, VA, in... less than two weeks? I don't remember exactly now and don't feel like digging up my old thread, but it was fast. Literally took longer to complete the paperwork and transfer funds and the vehicle was already there waiting for me. 😊

OP
OP
Denver_Paulie

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When I got a VIN back in APR they said it was in Normal and ready to be shipped to Denver. No info on transit until they said it was ready to pick up (this weekend) which will be a little over 6 weeks from VIN. Not sure the actual in-transit time was, but they also keep it a few days for inspection. Denver SC said they were ‘experiencing a shortage of rail cars’ but they made it seem like they get them in about once a (mid) month.

This is super helpful, so thank you sharing your experience. Guess it will be a 4th of July timeframe for pick up then.

OP
OP
Denver_Paulie

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Normal to Richmond, VA, in... less than two weeks? I don't remember exactly now and don't feel like digging up my old thread, but it was fast. Literally took longer to complete the paperwork and transfer funds and the vehicle was already there waiting for me. 😊

Mike, thanks for sharing. Seems like you lucked out in terms of a quick shipping process, so hopefully I match your experience.

I have already filled out and completed all the ownership steps, so the only thing missing is vehicle delivery.

I would love to take a Telluride trip in the Rivian over 4th of July if the vehicle is delivered before then, so hoping that pans out.

Sponsored

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
This is super helpful, so thank you sharing your experience. Guess it will be a 4th of July timeframe for pick up then.
Hopefully they’ll ramp up for an end of the quarter push or get the shortage worked out for your shipment - it was/is a long 6 weeks!

I’m confident you’ll get it by the 4th!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
There is a shortage of rail cars, and I think they may have started using trucks in limited numbers as well. "normal" time to get from Normal to the west coast is about 3 weeks by rail. It seems like its 1 to 3 weeks longer than that now, and it took Rivian about two weeks to find a rail car for our incoming R1S.

emceter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Chose our car 5/14 from R1 shop -> arrived at Richmond, VA service center 5/23.
5/31 delivery to our house from Richmond Service Center (interestingly no pick up slots available, guessing due to the holiday weekend).
So the train ride with all other aspects of shipping it from factory was 9 days

Ldouek1247

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘17 Jeep Wrangler ‘23 BMW 530e
Clubs

Took about 5 days from normal to VA for us!

OP
OP
Denver_Paulie

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chose our car 5/14 from R1 shop -> arrived at Richmond, VA service center 5/23.
5/31 delivery to our house from Richmond Service Center (interestingly no pick up slots available, guessing due to the holiday weekend).
So the train ride with all other aspects of shipping it from factory was 9 days

Wow. Seems like timing worked out for you guys in Virginia. I am hoping that Rivian is giving highly inflated delivery times just to lower expectations.

Kind of a bummer that Rivian does not provide shipping details on the site. The vehicle I bought last year allowed me to track the vehicle through the ordering and shipping process. Heck, I even identified what ship it was on, so I could track the vehicle as it crossed parts of the Atlantic.

I see at least one to two Rivian's a day in my neighborhood in Denver, so I am looking forward to joining the club and hitting the road with the car. I have put 14,000 miles on my other road tripping electric vehicle in the past 11 months, so need another fun EV for balance.

Appreciate everyone sharing their delivery experiences.

Cheers

Sponsored

MVR1S

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
January 2020 order here, just completed the 8 steps earlier this week, and was told our R1S is in Normal with a 4-5 week shipping estimate to the Bay Area. Sure seemed like a long time when I saw the estimate, but hearing that they are scrambling for rail cars and it’s more waiting for a train vs. actual transit time makes more sense.

Mayur2378

First Name
Mayur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Done with the paperwork, 1st week of May, still waiting on delivery in DFW. Was told by my guide its in transit and could take about 2-3 weeks more( which includes inspection at Dallas service center and detailing )

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Sportage
Clubs

Picked from Shop on 5/13 -- Location MA -- Vehicle is still in Normal IL

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Cherokee XJ, 2018 Wrangler JLU, 2023 R1S LE
Picked from shop on 5/8, shipped on 5/16, still waiting on delivery to Chelsea MA service center

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I locked down a shop R1S on May 12th and this morning I got a text from the Houston service center that my vehicle would be here shortly (week of 05/29). They asked what day I’d like to come pick it up. I told them to take their time to make sure all panel gaps and anything else is corrected. I gave them 10/30 or 10/31 as pick up dates. Now im frantically trying to wrap up the last two steps.
Sponsored