Sponsored

Shipping & Receiving Situation at Unloading Docks?

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Can someone who knows more about logistics clue me in on what the hell is happening at Rivian's unloading docks. Are they just screwing the truckers into warehousing parts for them? (Read the google reviews)

Example 1:

Example 2:
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have never worked on the trucking side of things, but I have worked in warehouses in my younger days. It’s hard to know exactly what the problem is, but I suspect it’s largely a staffing issue in the Rivian warehouse. It seems like they are just VERY behind unloading the trailers and can’t keep up now that the supply chain dam has broken somewhat.

The other part of this is that truckers are starting to push back by leaving Google reviews for places that lose them money, which is totally understandable. There have always been slow loading docks, but the way most trucking companies pay drivers now is BS - they don’t get paid for the time they are stuck waiting. So it’s a Rivian issue and a crappy pay system for the trucking industry that have put these people in a bad spot.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
So maybe all along "supply chain" issues are "we can't handle deliveries" issues...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

@Rivian
So maybe all along "supply chain" issues are "we can't handle deliveries" issues...
If you're having issues with the supply of a single critical part, and your other suppliers insist on still delivering everything when their contracts say they should be delivering, it certainly could amount to that.

OP
OP
AdamsFan1983

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I have never worked on the trucking side of things, but I have worked in warehouses in my younger days. It’s hard to know exactly what the problem is, but I suspect it’s largely a staffing issue in the Rivian warehouse. It seems like they are just VERY behind unloading the trailers and can’t keep up now that the supply chain dam has broken somewhat.

The other part of this is that truckers are starting to push back by leaving Google reviews for places that lose them money, which is totally understandable. There have always been slow loading docks, but the way most trucking companies pay drivers now is BS - they don’t get paid for the time they are stuck waiting. So it’s a Rivian issue and a crappy pay system for the trucking industry that have put these people in a bad spot.
I'm not saying thats not a part of it, but surely, staffing levels can't explain all of that delay. It seems insane to me that theyd have billions of dollars worth of production locked up due to needing another dozen guys working their unloading docks.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Can someone who knows more about logistics clue me in on what the hell is happening at Rivian's unloading docks. Are they just screwing the truckers into warehousing parts for them? (Read the google reviews)

Example 1:

Example 2:
If you look at the reviews for a lot of industrial places truckers complain about loading/unloading at places. The way I understand it, they aren’t always getting paid while they are sitting around and waiting to load/unload, so they are understandably grumpy. And they have time to write reviews.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'm not saying thats not a part of it, but surely, staffing levels can't explain all of that delay. It seems insane to me that theyd have billions of dollars worth of production locked up due to needing another dozen guys working their unloading docks.
In my opinion it could be that simple. In the end warehousing isn’t that complicated. The trucks pull up and people unload them and put the stuff on the shelves. As long as you have enough docks, space and enough people/ forklifts it usually goes pretty smoothly. If any one of those things is missing or off it can really screw things up for sure.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This situation is shockingly common - truckers waiting hours or days ro be unloaded.

Big companies can do this because they’re big. And yet when I, an individua, have something shipped by container, I get two hours live unloading. Then it gets really expensive really quick.

Sponsored