Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'd bet if any of the alphabet soup 24-hour news channels testified honestly in court, they'd admit to being entertainment channels, as well. Being beholden to any one of them for your news is as problematic as getting your news from the internet, meta, twitter, or late night comics. The written press is also fraught with hidden and blatant opinion. Luckily for me, South Park is still going strong, and serves as my North Star in life.
South park has been going downhill. The absurdity of reality has been outpacing Matt and Trey's creativity for a while now.

To get back to the topic on hand, my wife parked on my charging cable last night, I had to move her car. Which is a pain in the ass because hers is also plugged in, and EVs have an interlock that prevents them from driving if the cables are plugged in. So I had to also unplug hers.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

South park has been going downhill. The absurdity of reality has been outpacing Matt and Trey's creativity for a while now.

To get back to the topic on hand, my wife parked on my charging cable last night, I had to move her car. Which is a pain in the ass because hers is also plugged in, and EVs have an interlock that prevents them from driving if the cables are plugged in. So I had to also unplug hers.
That interlock feature can be a little annoying, but imagine how bad it'd be if someone took off with the plug in place. You'd be amazed at how many gas pumps are damaged every day by people driving off with the hose still connected to the car. I've seen even small chains of stations report such losses every week. As you might imagine, the advent of the cell phone greatly increased the frequency of these events.

In order to remain relevant, South Park is still saddled with the old rules of not going too far with the "Suspension of Disbelief". Reality is not bound by those rules. As Einstein reportedly said, “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” I don't disagree that South Park has been heading south, but it seems like our world has already passed it on that journey.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Thanks for the update on EA's plans. The I-80, I-90, I-94 corridors and the Northern stretches of I-15 and I-25 are some of the biggest hurdles to cross-country travel facing the CCS crowd. While I'm sticking with the Large Pack of the Launch Edition, I sure understand why others will wait for the Max Pack to get here. I love math problems and scavenger hunts. Accordingly, with the various charging apps out there, and with 14-50 and 14-30 adaptors, I look forward to the challenge of getting anywhere using any option available.

One of the few superpowers I have is incredible patience. Even my most patient friends lose patience with me while waiting for the night sky to clear to catch a meteor shower, or the time to capture the perfect sunrise or sunset, or to see a Grizzly bear in the wild. The challenge to stay moving will be tougher with anything less than the Max Pack, but the infrastructure will get richer and richer with every passing month as we move forward. You're spot on with your comment about preparedness being the key.

Here is the link to the Electrify America plan for the next couple of years:

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/assets/pdf/cycle_3_electrify_america_national.7b5067f4.pdf

That was the fun part of being an early EV adopter - the math and scavenger hunts on trying to get from point A to point B. That is all going away now that Tesla's network is so strong, and Electrify American is well on their way to covering most major highways.

Driving from point A to point B has to be made simple if we are going to drive mass EV adoption, so the horror charging stories will soon be a thing of the past.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I am trying to be polite when I use these words to describe people who deliberately block a charger because most of the time they are just being gigantic d*cks.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and state that we likely have yet to ever see an EV driver block a gas pump with their vehicle. Regardless of whom is doing the blocking of any station, I'm guessing that, while you call them "gigantic d*cks", they're actually likely to suffer from a medical, or genetic condition called ESTAD. That's a known term for an "Exceptionally Shorter Than Average D*ck".

An ESTAD sufferer that allows their stunted member to do their thinking for them can be problematic, regardless of their political, religious, or 2nd Amendment beliefs. The same is true regarding from where they choose to source their news. Regardless of these demographics, many of them will only be swayed once one of these cute little battery-powered trucks kicks their ass, either between stoplights, or between mountaintops.

Whether or not their cousin chooses to divorce them is a completely different issue.

To be clear, this condition is prevalent in all 50 States, and pretty much every County, Blue or Red. Don't get short with me for calling out this widespread condition!

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Wasn't it George Carlin that said he discriminates indiscriminately... we need him back so he can continue to make fun of us for our infinite stupidity... at our expense of course.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Wasn't it George Carlin that said he discriminates indiscriminately... we need him back so he can continue to make fun of us for our infinite stupidity... at our expense of course.
One of my favorites of George was: "Why do we call it 'Common sense' when it's so damn rare?"

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I'm gonna go out on a limb and state that we likely have yet to ever see an EV driver block a gas pump with their vehicle.

norivian

First Name
norivianyet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T in 2023 🤞
I have heard Tesla's could be paying fines per minute for being plugged in but not charging at Tesla superchargers. I also have heard superchargers starting to have wait time during holidays. Specific CCS location advantage may also be contributing to increase in Tesla charging refugees.
True on both points about Tesla charging. Tesla now has temporary fast chargers on skids. It’s still there of of today - not so temporary anymore it appears.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
True on both points about Tesla charging. Tesla now has temporary fast chargers on skids. It’s still there of of today - not so temporary anymore it appears.
Those chargers that appear to be temporary are interesting. The Indio Supercharger has 2 of them that have been there at least 18 months with the wiring run on the ground. Not sure how long they plan on leaving them like that or how the install was even approved.

norivian

First Name
norivianyet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T in 2023 🤞
Those chargers that appear to be temporary are interesting. The Indio Supercharger has 2 of them that have been there at least 18 months with the wiring run on the ground. Not sure how long they plan on leaving them like that or how the install was even approved.
More and more EVs on the road now. More charging horrors around the bends am afraid.

Sponsored

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
*Not a charging horror story but a possible future one....

We stopped at a supercharger in Aurora, IL on Friday. The Electrify America chargers are right next to the Tesla chargers. I decided to take a peek since this is one we will use once in a while with the R1S.

One unit showed out of service and the other was completely off. 2/4 offline with 12 operational V3 SC right next to them. This made me cringe a bit. I really hope the Rivian network is up and running in 2023. I don't want to depend on EA. This one has a 9.3 rating on PlugShare ?
Rivian R1T R1S Share Your Charging Horror Stories 5C7DC8B9-E602-433D-9D7C-5E9FD4D7BBE1
Rivian R1T R1S Share Your Charging Horror Stories 2948204D-AC6A-4727-82A9-97017CD595CE

Last edited:

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I've not received my R1T and not as yet had an EV. Is there something like Waze for chargers? Not ratings (past experience), but real time data reports?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I've not received my R1T and not as yet had an EV. Is there something like Waze for chargers? Not ratings (past experience), but real time data reports?
Yes. ChargePoint, PlugShare…

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Yes. ChargePoint, PlugShare…
I don't understand then that people keep reporting that the data shown on these services is wrong. Chargers shown to be working are not etc. Are people just not reporting? It doesn't seem like to me, based on reports even that there is a reliable reporting service.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

6 months of EV ownership. So far only ever charged at home or at places I was staying on trips.

So my horror story is always having a full tank every morning but a very dirty windshield (no more gas station squeegee time)
Sponsored