Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Odd that you accuse others of hostility when you first refer to them as poorly educated and lacking sense.
Arriving at a charger to find them all blocked is like getting to a gas station to find out the station is out of gas.
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

At the risk of generalizing, why?
Judging someone primarily based on where they get their news should be frowned upon. Here is the approved list of things that make it ok to judge someone:

stick figure family bumper stickers
vanity license plates
cargo shorts
crocs
sandals with socks
not understanding Big Lebowski references
failing to signal before turning at a 4 way stop

That's it, that's the list.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Judging someone primarily based on where they get their news should be frowned upon. Here is the approved list of things that make it ok to judge someone:

stick figure family bumper stickers
vanity license plates
cargo shorts
crocs
sandals with socks
not understanding Big Lebowski references
failing to signal before turning at a 4 way stop

That's it, that's the list.
Agreed.

I don't trust anyone who takes their socks off before putting on sandals...
;)

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
My horror story was that the car wouldn't DCFC the first time I tried it. This was during a drive ~270 miles and the car had a range of ~260. It kept erroring out, calls with EA for some troubleshooting were of no avail. Tried a total of 6 chargers and 3 different locations, all with the same failure. This was around 9pm - midnight. Got home around 12:30am with 8 miles left on the display.

Turned out the car had a defective socket and it took 3 weeks to repair. This on a brand new car with around 200 miles on it. Was not a happy camper.

Sponsored

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

Appreciate your contribution to this thread.

Six and a half years experience of driving EVs - done over 125,000 miles and been in 12 states, so I have seen and experienced all kinds of chargers being blocked.

I comment from experience.

Also, this is a forum about Rivian electric vehicles, let's keep it free of politics. No need for any of that bull$hit here.
You do realize, your post is what directly injected politics, the rest of us were just telling you this forum is diverse in thought (which is a good thing), asked you to chill, and donā€™t make EV owners look like jerks with those types commentsā€¦

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

That's the problem. Fox News is an entertainment channel. They've argued this themselves in court. There is no news.
All tv news programs are entertainment programs now....

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

All tv news programs are entertainment programs now....
You're not wrong, but Fox news definitely has more of a contradictory fake outrage sky-is-falling aspect to it.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
You do realize, your post is what directly injected politics, the rest of us were just telling you this forum is diverse in thought (which is a good thing), asked you to chill, and donā€™t make EV owners look like jerks with those types commentsā€¦
Since this is a thread on charging nightmares, let's hear yours, please? What type of EV do you drive? Would love to hear your stories on blocked chargers whether it be in rural Virgina, or downtown Alexandria.

You want to hear more about mine? I had a guy threaten to shoot my tires out in Grand Junction, Colorado because he said EV's were for "Californian's." I had a guy in an F-350 dually in Southern Utah pass my car 3 times while charging before telling me he enjoyed running "hippy" cars like mine off the road. That explains why I avoid charging in Grand Junction, CO or Cedar City, UT when I road trip.

Once again, six and a half years of driving EVs and over 125,000 miles in 12 states. I regards to this thread, I know what I am talking about. Do you?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Since this is a thread on charging nightmares, let's hear yours, please? What type of EV do you drive? Would love to hear your stories on blocked chargers whether it be in rural Virgina, or downtown Alexandria.

You want to hear more about mine? I had a guy threaten to shoot my tires out in Grand Junction, Colorado because he said EV's were for "Californian's." I had a guy in an F-350 dually in Southern Utah pass my car 3 times while charging before telling me he enjoyed running "hippy" cars like mine off the road. That explains why I avoid charging in Grand Junction, CO or Cedar City, UT when I road trip.

Once again, six and a half years of driving EVs and over 125,000 miles in 12 states. I regards to this thread, I know what I am talking about. Do you?
It's all related. People are scared of change and will do anything they can to stop it or slow down its progress. Some are capable of accepting change when it's not something they have built their identity out of. People hate to be proven wrong (myself included).

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

Didnā€™t question any ā€œexpertiseā€ or that people donā€™t face issues with chargers spaces blocked my man, just mentioned that your judgement hit was brash (like your assumption Iā€™m ā€˜ruralā€™) and why, and asked you to chill.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Didnā€™t question any ā€œexpertiseā€ or that people donā€™t face issues with chargers spaces blocked my man, just mentioned that your judgement hit was brash (like your assumption Iā€™m ā€˜ruralā€™) and why, and asked you to chill.

This is a thread on "charging horror stories." I have them, and shared the context. If you don't like the context behind my charging horror stories, feel free to put me on Ignore.

I would have said the same thing if I was in Boulder and a Tesla with a Grateful Dead sticker was blocking the CCS charger I needed.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Has absolutely nothing to do with a max pack. I survive more than fine driving a Taycan across most of the western US that has max 225 miles of range in warm weather and while driving 75-80mph. I also drove from Denver to Vegas multiple times in an 200 mile range Audi e-Tron back before Electrify America had finished the I-70 corridor across Utah. The CCS charging infrastructure is expanding by the day, so nightmare charging stories will be less frequent moving forward. EA's expansion target is currently focused on I-80 across Wyoming, and then they will shift to Montana and North Dakota by next fall, hopefully.

That being said, if you are towing, or going to a super remote place for weeks at a time, then the max pack is necessary. As the Rivian charging network rolls out in the distant future, many of the more remote national parks will be easily accessible by EV, so the typical weekend warrior type truck owner can survive just fine with the available battery pack.

When road tripping in a ZEV, preparedness is the key. Know the capabilities of the vehicle, know where chargers are located, have a back up plan, and be prepared to change plans if $hit out of your control happens.

Cheers
Thanks for the update on EA's plans. The I-80, I-90, I-94 corridors and the Northern stretches of I-15 and I-25 are some of the biggest hurdles to cross-country travel facing the CCS crowd. While I'm sticking with the Large Pack of the Launch Edition, I sure understand why others will wait for the Max Pack to get here. I love math problems and scavenger hunts. Accordingly, with the various charging apps out there, and with 14-50 and 14-30 adaptors, I look forward to the challenge of getting anywhere using any option available.

One of the few superpowers I have is incredible patience. Even my most patient friends lose patience with me while waiting for the night sky to clear to catch a meteor shower, or the time to capture the perfect sunrise or sunset, or to see a Grizzly bear in the wild. The challenge to stay moving will be tougher with anything less than the Max Pack, but the infrastructure will get richer and richer with every passing month as we move forward. You're spot on with your comment about preparedness being the key.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

That's the problem. Fox News is an entertainment channel. They've argued this themselves in court. There is no news.
I'd bet if any of the alphabet soup 24-hour news channels testified honestly in court, they'd admit to being entertainment channels, as well. Being beholden to any one of them for your news is as problematic as getting your news from the internet, meta, twitter, or late night comics. The written press is also fraught with hidden and blatant opinion. Luckily for me, South Park is still going strong, and serves as my North Star in life.
Sponsored