Sponsored

Share Your Charging Horror Stories

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf (2016), Mustang Mach E (2021)
I know the request was for charging horror stories, but we've only had positive experiences for the few road trips we've taken in the Mach E at Electrify America. For daily use, we charge at home. But we've driven roundtrip from Seattle area to Southern California/Palm Springs, from Seattle to Bend, OR, and from Seattle area to Eastern Washington. The chargers have been fast and well maintained. Our only issue really has been lack of interesting restaurants/coffee shops around the chargers. They are often in a Walmart parking lot. These trips have all been in the last 4 months so maybe its getting better.
Sponsored

davehat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3 and Mercedes F-Cell
Occupation
engineer
My three posts disappeared :-( About 5 years ago I did something despicable. I went to Laguna Beach and a gasoline car was in the only open charging place. I got angry & removed air from his front tire.

I’ve not done anything like that since.

OP
OP
Longhorngirl

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
I know the request was for charging horror stories, but we've only had positive experiences for the few road trips we've taken in the Mach E at Electrify America. For daily use, we charge at home. But we've driven roundtrip from Seattle area to Southern California/Palm Springs, from Seattle to Bend, OR, and from Seattle area to Eastern Washington. The chargers have been fast and well maintained. Our only issue really has been lack of interesting restaurants/coffee shops around the chargers. They are often in a Walmart parking lot. These trips have all been in the last 4 months so maybe its getting better.
Has anyone ever tried to order from UberEats while charging at a a charging station?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

I've not received my R1T and not as yet had an EV. Is there something like Waze for chargers? Not ratings (past experience), but real time data reports?

Real-time? No.

You have to use the network app directly to see live statuses.

onthebrake

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE - 3/31/2022 Took Delivery
Occupation
Project Manager
Punks think it funny to decouple the charging cable in public lots -_-
Don't most charger handles lock into the vehicle when connected ? How do they ''decouple'' them ?

Sponsored

onthebrake

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE - 3/31/2022 Took Delivery
Occupation
Project Manager
I live in a town with 1 gas station, its a Mobil. The next town is 8 minutes away. They also have one gas station, it's a 7/11. The Mobil gas station is usually about 8 cents more ( currently $3.58 ). The 7/11 pumps a gallon at a timed rate of 38 seconds. I have a 24 gallon tank. So is it worth 14 minutes of my time to save $2?
I'm pretty sure this was a ''Charging'' topic and not a fueling topic.

Grandizer52

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RIVIAN, 12 Azure Transit Connect, 2018 ENV200
Occupation
Engineering TECH
well that was aggressive and judgmental…

Let me ask you, of all those you referenced, how many did you ask in person what news they watch, their feelings on EVs, and how many guns they own?

Associating anyone that may align with any or all of those preferences as a negative person with no sense is what propagates conflict in this nation and gives a bad rep. to folks who think EVs are kinda neat. You’re hurting your cause.

chill bro…
Thanx for your service brother

Grandizer52

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering TECH
I'd bet if any of the alphabet soup 24-hour news channels testified honestly in court, they'd admit to being entertainment channels, as well. Being beholden to any one of them for your news is as problematic as getting your news from the internet, meta, twitter, or late night comics. The written press is also fraught with hidden and blatant opinion. Luckily for me, South Park is still going strong, and serves as my North Star in life.
If you need accuracy we can all agree on , watch the ONION, if we can't laugh at ourselves, how will we laugh tomorrow...the guy that posted the poking at people (probably sarcastically) ---tried to back it out, love/hate the post. I'm retired military, and against block ignore, cause I didn't have freedom of speech for 20 years so everyone else can have it! as I kick away my virtual soap box, I have guns, on my 6th electric car, and straight up no shit!!! assholes have no race/gender/religion (THAT ISN'T POINTED SPECIFICALLY AT ANYONE ON HERE, OR OUT OF HERE)...back to our regular scheduled programming

Grandizer52

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering TECH
1st horror, just got my leaf in 2015, pulled up to a charger, flat bed backs into me, pushing the car and the charger (crushing both) into a wall at walmart, (had the car 3 days)

2nd got my second leaf, plugged in at the only charger (this is hawaii/Oahu) for miles..come back, guy in another leaf unplugged me, to plug in his said he needed more than me. (both were 2011's no locking mech.

3rd parked at shopping center, 4 chargers, 3 are camped, I have 20%, plug in, comeback 15 min later, BMW unplugs me to plug in theirs, says they live (X) they need more than me...I open the breaker, shut it down, screaming ensues from BMW owner, i just laugh obnoxiously at the entitled brat.

4th I'm at 10% (leaf) truck and trailer blocks chargers...says mine is electric too (again hawaii)

5th Turd unplugs chedemo and drops, bashes his ankle, again I laugh obnoxiously wile my wife is yelling at him in her native language and filming him gimp away to his...car.

6th Oregon, hotel has (2) level 2, both occupied by most popular ev with second largest charging network, behind camp grounds...they aren't plugged in, dude goes and gets items from his model something, hea, you charging, no, why don't you call the cops (insert gender amplified insult), again wife accosts in native language while filming...individual sputters something about laws and will call cops...person in BOLT sees commotion who also wants to charger, poopfaced violators snivels something about cops, bolt driver pulls out badge..state police. move car....the drama

7th, and my most favorite....I have an AZURE/TRANSIT CONNECT electric van, plug in to level 2, wait to hear if charger kicks on, (again hawaii) some public chargers poop themselves in the tropics...person decked out in YOGA stuff driving BMW hybrid thingy, screams like anime character...that's not even electric, move it...hawaii has plates, that say electric vehicle, there are only 2 of the AZURES in the state...mine, and one on maui. he proceeds to un plug...I was about to go for a run, and always wear a gopro...hea ah...can you put the gas thing back, I'm gassing my not so gas van...calls me names associated with ren and stimpy, and clearly see it's a J receptical in the van, I state...please plug the van back in....yoga induced individual, has tantrum, no you put that plug in there to look electric...I'm still filming, here let me pop the hood, big gigantic 700 font letters AZURE DYNAMICS ELECTRIC....yoga beast...no I'm calling the cops...um ok...throws the plug on the ground breaking it...yoga crime fighter storms off.

sometimes there's there's things money can not buy...and then there's the reality of alternative reality, stay safe pilots!!!!

Last edited:

Grandizer52

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering TECH
Here is the link to the Electrify America plan for the next couple of years:

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/assets/pdf/cycle_3_electrify_america_national.7b5067f4.pdf

That was the fun part of being an early EV adopter - the math and scavenger hunts on trying to get from point A to point B. That is all going away now that Tesla's network is so strong, and Electrify American is well on their way to covering most major highways.

Driving from point A to point B has to be made simple if we are going to drive mass EV adoption, so the horror charging stories will soon be a thing of the past.

Did you use a slide rule, and side tongue-stand and deliver type math....lets see,,,(x) range X's long hill + gale force wind / destination equals...must urinate first, that will cut 2 to 5 pounds, vacuum there's 10 pounds, remove 10 LBS of empty drink cans. = should make it.....make troll face to self

Sponsored

Grandizer52

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering TECH
*Not a charging horror story but a possible future one....

We stopped at a supercharger in Aurora, IL on Friday. The Electrify America chargers are right next to the Tesla chargers. I decided to take a peek since this is one we will use once in a while with the R1S.

One unit showed out of service and the other was completely off. 2/4 offline with 12 operational V3 SC right next to them. This made me cringe a bit. I really hope the Rivian network is up and running in 2023. I don't want to depend on EA. This one has a 9.3 rating on PlugShare ?
5C7DC8B9-E602-433D-9D7C-5E9FD4D7BBE1.jpeg
2948204D-AC6A-4727-82A9-97017CD595CE.jpeg

oh...8th Horror, trip from Bremerton WA, to Crater lake, driving a BOLT, towing a MYPOD camper---planned, over planned, measured, PLUGSHARED/ABRP er'd/GOOGLED/HUDWAY (HUD UNIT)...get one! just under 400 miles, biggest hill, 50 miles from camp ground---chargers look good, it's 5 PM, been on the road since 3:30 am, get to Eugene, OR. EA chargers, one individual, parked sidways, blocking 2 to charge (3 down), MACH E using next unit, well, need a few min to park trailer. get in the pole position....,NNNOOOOOOOO only 2 chargers work, and there's 5 of us waiting, sideways car leaves, 4 of us left, ID4 leaves, were next...guy yells we have to get to seattle so I'm going next, ...yo cutting in front of me I ask...looks down see's my dog, has big harness says SERVICE DOG---DO NOT PET, has some attachments indicating I was in the military, he hesitantly asks...were you in the military...I answer very monotone- yes. if it's a life or death, you may go a head....he backs away cautiously...his wife cools things, they came from the Bay area, and just stressed from the drive...and their first long drive, course I understand...we also have one more charge stop, puts us there at 9pm...more EV's start to congregate, all have 30 or less miles...me and this guy are staring at each other, my wife whistles the good the bad and the ugly theme, we laugh it off, and then I quick draw and shoot his ass, ok kidding about that part, plugged in, and chatted with them,,,at this point waiting is 7 deep, I go and grab 2 tanks of coffee for all the waiting people. a few GAS-HOLES, man that sucks, hea can I get a cup....yea right over there, says coffee...next post

Last edited:

Grandizer52

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering TECH
Has anyone ever tried to order from UberEats while charging at a a charging station?
was at a bank of EA chargers, was going to be there a while (camping trip) put up the screen, and projector, and watched Godzilla, all the charging, and some curious smokers (waterworld reference) chilled out to watch the biggest actor in japan.
Sponsored