SF Bay Area Rivian Adventure Owners?

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm also in CA (Emerald Hills - hey Bill) and have an R1T on pre order. I'm really hoping for some charge points in SoCAL near Ridgecrest, Mojave, Death Valley and the 395 corridor. I do a fair amount of dirt biking down there and mapping things out at this point there aren't many fast chargers except for Tesla. Hard not to pick the 400+ battery when we don't know charge locations.
Sponsored

jdhiker23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
R1S Launch Edition. Currently going with Limestone, Black Mountain Interior, and 20” wheels, but could end up switching the color to Forrest Green and/or the wheels to 22”. Since I didn’t order until earlier this year, I’m pretty far down the list, but it would be great if I can take delivery by Christmas next year.

OKEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner
I’m in San Francisco. I’m about 13,000 on the preorder list and I’m opting for the larger battery in the R1T. My guess is that puts my delivery well into 2022.

bsaik

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Land Rover RR Sport, R1T reservation holder
I'm on the Peninsula. R1S in El Cap Granite, 20AT wheels/tires on order for August 2021.

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
I'm currently signed up for a red launch edition R1T hoping to get it before the end of next summer. But I'm becoming somewhat disillusioned with the paltry off-road specs. 20" wheels is the best they can do??!! I may cancel my reservation and just wait for the CyberTruck.

Sponsored

Jayhox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS
R1T in El Cap Granite, Ocean interior, 20AT wheels/tires, Adventure package, max battery, sometime in 2022?

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
I’m in Sac and have the LE R1S in Forest Green. May end up downgrading to Explore though. I’ll likely be using it for trips to Tahoe and some off-road trails for backpacking.

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
To the Forum:

I will be new to off road adventures. I lost a friend recently that was also a reservation owner and we had plans that won’t be realized now.

so I was thinking, it would be great to take the R1T/R1S off-road with other Rivian owners.

I figure we can start a conversation with California reservation owners.

Any thought?
I am in, I live in east bay :)

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
I’m in SF proper, just changed from launch green to forest green for my R1S. Have a weekend place in west Sonoma, where the actual roads are a bit like off-roading, and would be game for meetups when (if?) we get our deliveries!

EveryAmp

Site Sponsor
First Name
EveryAmp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
everyamp.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, & Model Y
Ok guys & gals...

did you get your Rivian configured and when are you getting it? August 2021 or January.

I got the R1S LE, Launch Green for now, but could switch to El Cap Granite, 22” wheels, and Ocean interior (but hoping we willl have an option for the darker wood trim for the Ocean interior). So am currently in the August 2021 group.

45B31112-DCBF-4448-9F1D-0C09D84D5C95.jpeg

I can’t wait....

...are we the only reservation holders in the Bay Area/California? I know skynote and bajadahl are not....seems like a small group....maybe others will reveal themselves now that the configurator is up.
Feb 2019 holder here in San Luis Obispo, CA. Estimating January 2022 for my non-Launch Edition.

Sponsored

Deleted member 3282

Rivian R1T R1S SF Bay Area Rivian Adventure Owners? 1634256385305

East bay. Ordered 8/2021 two days after first discovering Rivian. Owned three Toyota 4x4 pickups (1985, 1991, 1992). Leased a Honda Fit EV for 5 years and thrilled to see EV pickups coming to market.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I’m in Boulder Creek (near Santa Cruz). This is my config August of 2021:

Rivian R1T R1S SF Bay Area Rivian Adventure Owners? 1634262281949

I’ve done a little light off roading. Forest roads, a cool trail on the big island. Nothing technical and would love to do a bit more.

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
To the Forum:

I will be new to off road adventures. I lost a friend recently that was also a reservation owner and we had plans that won’t be realized now.

so I was thinking, it would be great to take the R1T/R1S off-road with other Rivian owners.

I figure we can start a conversation with California reservation owners.

Any thought?
Just a quick update…

I changed from 22” wheels to the AT 20”. Still waiting for a R-Guide Ro reach out. Still Launch green but would like to see other colors…

gnatale

First Name
Natalie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX5, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Transit Vehicle Mechanic ( BART Train Cars )
Thanks for the kind words everybody. I am actually in NorCal ( SF East Bay).

I like the idea of light rock crawling for now. There are some interesting trails on the Rubicon Trail near the Tahoe area. Also willing to go to Sedona, and yes, the Mojave trail.

Mark, I like your documentary idea and adjacent activities. Add golf to that would be cool too. since I think you are in Santa Cruz I know Land Rover does some 4x4 tours and training In the Carmel area which would be cool to check out.

As a side note guys...this will further illustrate how cool Rivian is as a company and thought I would take this opportunity to share this Experience with you all.

I have been looking for an EV for a while. I was excited about the Taycan and Audi e-Trons, but I wanted to stay US Made. As nice as Tesla is, I am not a fan of Elon and how he treats customers, etc...anyway I Found Rivian through my research late 2018. We had our traditional Christmas get-together with our friends. I told one of them, Tom about Rivian and he got excited about Rivian as he is a truck guy. Anyway long story short we got together again the following February and he told me he reserved an R1T the night we had our traditional Christmas dinner—-but he didn’t tell me. So I plunked my $$. When he passed his wife asked me if I wanted his spot. Rivian allowed me to get his spot. I thought it was very cool of them. Rivian shared some kind words with me Since. To have that connection with Rivian maybe unique to me....but what a great company to take the time to address my inquiry and follow through with a solution.

So when this forum has Questions or Doubts about Rivian, little things like this goes a long way with me and has long term Value.

hope to see some of you on test drives and 4x4 adventures in 2021!!!
Hello East Bay, I've lived a few places in the SF Bay Area now in Green Valley/Fairfield.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Reading this thread late, and wonder @BillArnett if some of your earlier trepidations regarding which trails the Rivan can handle (you specifically mentioned some concern w/ Rubicon) are alleviated with the recent Trans America Trail crossing and other videos we've seen.

Also, you mentioned concerns stemming from "limited approach angles", but the Jalopnik article (I think) made it sound like that while approach and departure angles were less than some vehicles, break over was what mattered and Rivian had nailed that (and nailed the geometry overall) Do you agree with that assessment?

I hope my questions don't come off as accusatory or otherwise, they are genuinely not. I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to off roading, so appreciate any insights.
Sponsored