Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
To the Forum:

I will be new to off road adventures. I lost a friend recently that was also a reservation owner and we had plans that won’t be realized now.

so I was thinking, it would be great to take the R1T/R1S off-road with other Rivian owners.

I figure we can start a conversation with California reservation owners.

Any thought?
Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I'm not in California but when I get mine I would love to drive out west and join a group for an adventure... Like doing the Mojave trail..... or other overland adventure that's a little lighter on the rock crawling side of things....

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
To the Forum:

I will be new to off road adventures. I lost a friend recently that was also a reservation owner and we had plans that won’t be realized now.

so I was thinking, it would be great to take the R1T/R1S off-road with other Rivian owners.

I figure we can start a conversation with California reservation owners.

Any thought?
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

I fly when I visit the Bay Area. I am currently working for a TX-based company, where my last 3 had Bay Area HQs or large offices...

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Lmirafuente, I think you're in SoCal but I won't hold it against you.

I would like to go on Rivian adventures with you whether in the north, south or east. I especially like visiting vast Western landscapes, historical and archeological sites of interest, and I'm a big fan of regional cuisine, art and folk culture. Maybe a mini-documentary - old guys take their new BEVs on road and off road adventures?

(I'm learning to use a new camera for photography and videography, and I'm seriously interested in making mini-documentaries. I've got several planned for Japan.)

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Thanks for the kind words everybody. I am actually in NorCal ( SF East Bay).

I like the idea of light rock crawling for now. There are some interesting trails on the Rubicon Trail near the Tahoe area. Also willing to go to Sedona, and yes, the Mojave trail.

Mark, I like your documentary idea and adjacent activities. Add golf to that would be cool too. since I think you are in Santa Cruz I know Land Rover does some 4x4 tours and training In the Carmel area which would be cool to check out.

As a side note guys...this will further illustrate how cool Rivian is as a company and thought I would take this opportunity to share this Experience with you all.

I have been looking for an EV for a while. I was excited about the Taycan and Audi e-Trons, but I wanted to stay US Made. As nice as Tesla is, I am not a fan of Elon and how he treats customers, etc...anyway I Found Rivian through my research late 2018. We had our traditional Christmas get-together with our friends. I told one of them, Tom about Rivian and he got excited about Rivian as he is a truck guy. Anyway long story short we got together again the following February and he told me he reserved an R1T the night we had our traditional Christmas dinner—-but he didn’t tell me. So I plunked my $$. When he passed his wife asked me if I wanted his spot. Rivian allowed me to get his spot. I thought it was very cool of them. Rivian shared some kind words with me Since. To have that connection with Rivian maybe unique to me....but what a great company to take the time to address my inquiry and follow through with a solution.

So when this forum has Questions or Doubts about Rivian, little things like this goes a long way with me and has long term Value.

hope to see some of you on test drives and 4x4 adventures in 2021!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Lmirafuente, I think you're in SoCal but I won't hold it against you.

I would like to go on Rivian adventures with you whether in the north, south or east. I especially like visiting vast Western landscapes, historical and archeological sites of interest, and I'm a big fan of regional cuisine, art and folk culture. Maybe a mini-documentary - old guys take their new BEVs on road and off road adventures?

(I'm learning to use a new camera for photography and videography, and I'm seriously interested in making mini-documentaries. I've got several planned for Japan.)
reminds me of the movie Wild Hogs.... maybe ”wild old goats” I was trying to figure out what animal does rock climbing well.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Lionel, sorry to have misplaced you to the Southland. Thanks for you story about your friend Tom. Rivian does seem to be different, but it's still small. The trick will be maintaining that personal touch and customer care as the organization grows.

National Geographic says mountain goats are not true goats, but goat-antelopes. That's why they're good on the flats and in the mountains. I'm better in the flats than mountains these days, but I'm game for most anything.

My preorder was in Nov 2018 and it sounds like Tom's was in Dec 2018. Let's make some videos and let Rivian use them, if it likes them. Mountain Goats take Their BEVs to the Wilds.

Last edited:

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
I’m in San Mateo county. I would be happy to do a little trail run with you when our Rivians arrive. I’m not very confident that the Rivian can do the Rubicon trail without damage but there are a lot of lesser trails up there. And some really nice ones on the east side near Mammoth.

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
:angel:
I’m in San Mateo county. I would be happy to do a little trail run with you when our Rivians arrive. I’m not very confident that the Rivian can do the Rubicon trail without damage but there are a lot of lesser trails up there. And some really nice ones on the east side near Mammoth.
Very cool Bill, with your experience that would be great...I just quoted the Rubicon only because I came across it and there seems to be various trails to check out...I certainly do not want to damage the Rivian as I know the Rubicon has some crazy trails that I would not want to take with the Rivian into...I just don't know where the novice areas are:angel:.
Thanks for you willingness to connect!

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
:angel:
Very cool Bill, with your experience that would be great...I just quoted the Rubicon only because I came across it and there seems to be various trails to check out...I certainly do not want to damage the Rivian as I know the Rubicon has some crazy trails that I would not want to take with the Rivian into...I just don't know where the novice areas are:angel:.
Thanks for you willingness to connect!
I'm in the Sacramento area. If I pull the trigger (leery of price), then I am down to meet up.

Sponsored

jdhiker23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Sounds like a great plan and I have to agree about the feel that Rivian employees really care and the hope they can keep that culture and feeling as they grow. I'm in the SF Bay Area and would be interested in joining on some easy novice trails when my R1S arrives. I didn't reserve until earlier this year, so I may have to live vicariously through the rest of you for 6-12 months while I wait for my number to come up (looking forward to seeing your mini-documentaries Mark!).

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I am absolutely on board with you, I’ve only done some mild off-roading but looking forward to some ev off-road adventures. I have a cybertruck and r1s res, and I’m compiling a list of awesome trails, probably the most ambitious of which is black bear pass and imagene in Colorado. It would be so cool to get a small group and do a week long overland trip to test our new trucks next year.

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, that sounds like fun. I’m confident that a reasonably competent driver can safely do both of those trails. And they’re both stunningly beautiful.

Imogene is considerably easier. I’ve done it many times in a Jeep and a couple times with a Mercedes ML-430. So a Rivian should be no problem. But it’s not for the faint of heart. Shelf roads (cliff on one side, big drop off on the other) can be intimidating. And there are a couple of spots where you have to climb some rocks that might look impossible to the uninitiated and might challenge the Rivian’s limited approach angles but I think it will be easy enough with a little care.

Black Bear is a whole different story. People die on that trail. I’ve done it five or six times in a Jeep. I think I could have done it with my ML430 (but the time I tried it was closed at the top due to snow). I’m pretty sure I will be able to do it in a Rivian but I would NOT recommend it to anyone without some prior experience and a high tolerance for scary heights. It’s way worse than it looks on YouTube. And when you get to the hard part it’s one way and there’s no possibility of turning back. This image is from my first time (in a junker rental Jeep):

Rivian R1T R1S SF Bay Area Rivian Adventure Owners? 52372D4A-1C2B-4804-AFB2-62E8A54D0F44

We were lucky. It didn’t start raining until we got down to Telluride. Next time I did it (in my own much more capable Jeep) it did rain while we were descending the steepest part. It wasn’t actually all that bad but my wife was petrified. The most recent time I did it we had to wait for an hour or so while the search and rescue guys helicoptered out a guy who had gone off the road (in a much easier spot).

I would be happy to go along with a group of Rivians on these trails. But I strongly suggest doing Imogene first. Then those who thought that was not easy can opt out of Black Bear.

Jayhox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS
I'm in the Sacramento region and would love to take part in some cool trips such as some of those mentioned. I just put down a deposit a few weeks ago, so I'm probably back in line a bit from most of you.

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Ok guys & gals...

did you get your Rivian configured and when are you getting it? August 2021 or January.

I got the R1S LE, Launch Green for now, but could switch to El Cap Granite, 22” wheels, and Ocean interior (but hoping we willl have an option for the darker wood trim for the Ocean interior). So am currently in the August 2021 group.

Rivian R1T R1S SF Bay Area Rivian Adventure Owners? 45B31112-DCBF-4448-9F1D-0C09D84D5C95

I can’t wait....

...are we the only reservation holders in the Bay Area/California? I know skynote and bajadahl are not....seems like a small group....maybe others will reveal themselves now that the configurator is up.
Sponsored

Last edited: