First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
My purpose here is to inform on my personal experience to help others avoid what happened to me.

The service team from Rivian was outstanding in just about every way going above and beyond in a difficult situation.

The first problem:
Upon delivery of my R1T I noticed that when I dropped my kid at school when he exited the vehicle the seatbelt chime would go off for the passenger after I pulled away. It was behaving as if I still had a front seat passenger.

The situation would rectify itself in my next driving session.

This issue was repeatable and I logged a service ticket, Rivian responded with a phone call in less than two hours and started investigating. That is as fast as you could ask for. Friendly and knowledgeable on the phone.
I was also in need of the latest update which had some seatbelt fixes.

Thanks to feedback on this forum I went with a patient approach for resolution as this has an easy workaround of buckle the front belt. Easy! (foreshadowing)

The second problem:
Its time for my first trip to Chicago's ignominious O'Hare International Airport. My first chance to see if any charging stops will be necessary for my frequent trips to Butch's namesake.

Depart Milwaukee at 5:45 AM with 85% extended charge and park daily lot ORD 7:00 AM with 50% charge remaining using conserve and a healthy dose of Driver+.

It was a killer ride, and PLENTY of charge to get home at the end of the week SCORE 1 for Rivian this is what I had hoped for.

As I am waiting to board my United flight I get curious and check the app. I have Lost 7% of my battery in an hour down to 43%. I am somewhat alarmed but thought perhaps battery conditioning and being parked "outside".

When landed in California 7 hours after parking the R1T I am down to 38% SOC and I email service with these details. (Foreshadowing: dont use email).

24 hours after parking the vehicle I am down to 15%.

I have emailed my guide and now logged the service request

The app logged service request finally got a response within an hour. I say this not to inundate the service department but IF you have a real technical issue they are ON IT!

30 hours after parking my R1T is a dead brick.

Service took over from here, arranging towing. For those who have had the privilege ;) ORD daily parking garage has ceilings worthy of Hobbiton, and spiral ramps to all floors from a hot wheels set circa 1978.

The truck is a brick so they had to jack it up onto dolly's and get it out. I think it took 3 possibly 4 tow truck companies before someone could hoist my 7200 lb beauty out of the structure. The service and roadside team for the most part handled this without me as I enjoyed the balmy 75 degree California weather. They were excellent.

Once the vehicle was delivered to the Chicago service center they took over and responsive and communicative is an understatement. They were all over it texting my updates constantly.

They charged up my R1T and made it dead simple for me to retrieve it. They went over and above.

What was the issue you say?

I drove down to ORD and put my computer bag in the passenger seat. DING DING fasten seatbelt!!! No problem I will just buckle the passenger seat and enjoy the Driver+ Assisted ride to arguably the worst major airport in America.

I left the belt buckled. The R1T thought there was a passenger in the vehicle and never went to sleep.

A few things:

1) This is a good thing, how many times have I left my kids in the R1T (They are old enough and would rather play with there phones and talk to the people who come up and ask about the truck) while I ran into the grocery store etc? Many. Is it safer for them if the truck knows they are in there despite the fact that I have left the vehicle with my key (phone). YES.

2) The app needs to improve and allow me to override these systems.

3) That is a HUGE power drain in standby mode. IMO

Summary

Rivian service was AMAZING.
I was barely inconvenienced by this other than stress of what is happening and did I get a lemon.
Does Rivian have some work to do in software, yes, but it is still a world class product. I signed up for some of these hiccups by choosing a first time manufacturer building an ambitious product.
My guide while perfectly pleasant has been of very little use in general.

DONT LEAVE YOUR SEATBELTS BUCKLED!
Sponsored

Last edited:

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
My purpose here is to inform on my personal experience to help others avoid what happened to me.

snip ...

Service took over from here, arranging towing. For those who have had the privilege ;) ORD daily parking garage has ceilings worthy of Hobbiton, and spiral ramps to all floors from a hot wheels set circa 1978.

DONT LEAVE YOUR SEATBELTS BUCKLED!
If your purpose is to "inform" what you bolded should have been in the Thread Title ...

That said ... the "hot wheels" analogy was funny and spot on.

Last edited:

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Thanks for the detailed info. What's interesting to me is this must only be an issue with the front seat. I've got car seats in the back and I use the latch system along with the seat belts so they are always engaged. I've not seen battery drain like yours with those back seat belts still buckled.

With car seats using the latch system you don't need to use the seat belts but I started doing so in my Tesla Model 3 because when the car first came out it wouldn't think anyone was back there so I would need to remember to manually turn on the heat/air for my kids. With the belts clicked the car would always turn the heat/air on for them. I'm not sure if they updated that with software now because I've continued to use both for that reason and the added safety doesn't hurt either. I've done the same now in the Rivian.

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Riviot
What you bolded should have been in the Thread Title ...

That said ... the "hot wheels" analogy was funny and spot on.
I buried the lead didn't I...

SEPA R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

Just curious if you've had any issues since then? I've sat in my R1T "idling" (not in sleep mode) waiting at kids soccer practices, etc. with music on and have come no where near that kind of drain. 7% in an hour seems excessive for that situation (based on my experience).

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Riviot
Just curious if you've had any issues since then? I've sat in my R1T "idling" (not in sleep mode) waiting at kids soccer practices, etc. with music on and have come no where near that kind of drain. 7% in an hour seems excessive for that situation (based on my experience).
Not yet, its only been a few days but I will be monitoring for sure.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
There’re about 24 L2 Chargers on the 4th floor in that building. Next time you can utilize them. But as EVs are getting more popular, these chargers do get full. I was able to snag the last charger in December but in March, all were in use when I got there including a R1T charging.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
My solution to the seat beep was to do what I’ve done elsewhere and buckle the seat. It’s not acceptable to not sleep if belt is buckled.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

What's the common battery drainage per hour you guys are seeing ?

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
I've got car seats in the back and I use the latch system along with the seat belts so they are always engaged.
I'm sure it's not thaaaaat unsafe but you're not supposed to use both due to how it distributes force during a crash...or so carseat manufacturers say

Sponsored

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

I don’t understand one thing. 135 KWh battery is capable of running a load of 135 KW for 1 hour. Or 13.5 KW for 10 hours.
or 1.35 kw for 100 hours.

how does running the hvac for 1 hour take our 7% of 135?
Is the hvac really using 9.45KW of power?! If so they really need to look at that cause it’s should be less than 1kw.

I’ve experienced pretty fast drain without the seatbelt and the car fully locked and even with hvac turned fully off. Heck I even put it in shipping mode and still lost about 1-2% per hour. They really need to figure out what’s causing all this power usage soon.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Thanks for posting. My wife is an expert at casually and inconveniently identifying these types of issues- if a bug like this exists she’ll smoke it out…the hard way.

I’m starting a list and this is first- one less to worry about…

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
……..allow me to override these systems
This is the key in automation. Developers need to be humble enough to know they don’t have the foresight to know all possible situations. As an owner I need to have the security of knowing R1 is my vehicle (as opposed to me being it’s passenger). Since this is wishful thinking and most products are put out there with designers believing they know better, the least they can do is to tell us how the machine thinks so we can avoid or get around the problem.

Thanks for sharing a very helpful tip.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I don’t understand one thing. 135 KWh battery is capable of running a load of 135 KW for 1 hour. Or 13.5 KW for 10 hours.
or 1.35 kw for 100 hours.

how does running the hvac for 1 hour take our 7% of 135?
Is the hvac really using 9.45KW of power?! If so they really need to look at that cause it’s should be less than 1kw.

I’ve experienced pretty fast drain without the seatbelt and the car fully locked and even with hvac turned fully off. Heck I even put it in shipping mode and still lost about 1-2% per hour. They really need to figure out what’s causing all this power usage soon.
Is it possible as R1T cools down especially in cold weather, it shows less range while it keeps the same amount of charge? It would not explain OP’s loss but if you noticed only 2% loss

rpmichelson

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Ford Explorer and R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Lesson learned: Don't circumvent the system but instead get it fixed properly!
Sponsored