First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
So, with the discussion going on about how Guide contact & delivery may be impacted by the presence of an operating service center, it made me wonder, what purpose Rivian has designed for their service centers.

Now, this may appear to be obvious, "to service vehicles, duh". But, if I recall correctly, traditional vehicle makers use their dealerships to do some final "prep" before delivering (selling) vehicles to customers. Is Rivian planning for the same thing (install final options, accommodate changes in customer decisions - e.g. tires) as well as a temporary storage location to accommodate delivery timing.

Is it possible, the Service Center becomes a final "resting place" for final tweaks and delivery scheduling before arriving to actual owners? Or do we expect a car carrier with 8+ R1T's to show up at one's house and deliver their specific vehicle direct from the factory? The more I think about it, the more I think it's the former (Factory to Service Center then to Owner).

Do others in the industry have a perspective? How does Tesla handle this?

R1S reservation holder (#18xx), currently Limestone / White - but will likely change after seeing colors in person
Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Is Rivian planning for the same thing (install final options, accommodate changes in customer decisions - e.g. tires) as well as a temporary storage location to accommodate delivery timing.

Is it possible, the Service Center becomes a final "resting place" for final tweaks and delivery scheduling before arriving to actual owners? Or do we expect a car carrier with 8+ R1T's to show up at one's house and deliver their specific vehicle direct from the factory? The more I think about it, the more I think it's the former (Factory to Service Center then to Owner).

Do others in the industry have a perspective? How does Tesla handle this?
I'm sure there's going to be a PDI/correction/accessories installation function in the service centers. All dealers do it as part of their contact with the manufacturer. I would assume it's the same with it's the same with Tesla.

In our case though, I would assume the bellevue location would be considered service only (at this point in time) as the laws don't allow Rivian to sell directly to us. I'm assuming pre-delivery work and bill of sale will have to happen over state borders.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It will be many years before Rivian has a service center in every state, let alone every major metro area. I don't think they can rely on service centers to do final PDI for every delivery if they're offering home-delivery to every address.

It would be different if they said you'd have to pick up from the factory or a service center (which I would be willing to do).
Sponsored