Sponsored

Service center crashed my R1T

SNOWinSEA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
I took my truck in for its first service appt last Tuesday to have some wind noise looked at. I got a call two hours later saying that they got into an accident while testing the wind noise. Insurance will be getting involved and the whole headlight assembly, front quarter panel, front bumper, etc would need to be replaced. They've had my car for one week and the service manager hasn't even called me to talk about what's going on. I can't get ahold of the service center because the 855 number they call me from just goes to a call center. I tried to escalate via my guide but all I get is "we're looking into it".
Does anyone have any experience with a dealership/service center getting into an accident in your car? This truck is a month old with less than 1K miles and now it's going to have an accident on its record. It's worth less now than it was when I brought it in for service to fix a manufacturing defect. Anyone have any advice on how to handle this?
Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I took my truck in for its first service appt last Tuesday to have some wind noise looked at. I got a call two hours later saying that they got into an accident while testing the wind noise. Insurance will be getting involved and the whole headlight assembly, front quarter panel, front bumper, etc would need to be replaced. They've had my car for one week and the service manager hasn't even called me to talk about what's going on. I can't get ahold of the service center because the 855 number they call me from just goes to a call center. I tried to escalate via my guide but all I get is "we're looking into it".
Does anyone have any experience with a dealership/service center getting into an accident in your car? This truck is a month old with less than 1K miles and now it's going to have an accident on its record. It's worth less now than it was when I brought it in for service to fix a manufacturing defect. Anyone have any advice on how to handle this?
Wow. I don't have much to add but I'm following the thread. I assume at some point someone will get back to me about addressing my day 1 ticket and I'll need to drop the truck off at my local service center.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Wow.....that's terrible....guess I'll live with my wind noise.

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ouch that blows. I know it still need more info but can't really fault the service center if they had to test drive the truck and in doing so someone crashed into them. If it's found that the technician driving the car was at fault then it's a different story. Either way make sure to make a diminished value claim or see if something can be worked out where you can get a replacement and drive the repaired one until it arrives.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Put it up on cars and bids and order a new one.

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2020 BMW X5 M50
A dealership crashed my 2011 X5 into a wall while it was in for an oil change. They repaired it in-house and it didn't go on the cars official record. They were a dealership that reported to Carfax, but they were able to mark the repair as internal only. I also made them give me an extended 4-year warranty worth about $3500. If I were in your shoes, I would ask for a new car.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Given how looney the 405 is by the Bellevue SC, I'm inclined to think it was another driver at fault. With regards to repair time estimates, at this point, thats going to be a shot in the dark as the vehicles are currently in such limited supply, and spare parts are going to be difficult to come by.

For reference, my current vehicle was rear ended December 23rd. I'm still waiting on an OEM bumper mount to come in. Currently it has an aftermarket one, but the necessary adjustment isn't there to get it aligned correctly.

In your case, I'd be patiently impatient. Give them room to breathe and get things sorted rather than giving you half baked status updates. That said, don't let them forget about you. While it's also unfortunate the accident will show on its record, they unfortunately happen all the time, and the repair facility will get things back to factory condition... hopefully....

OP
OP

SNOWinSEA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
I'm sorry but "it's unfortunate...they happen all the time" is not acceptible to me considering I just spent $85k on a car a month ago and it was involved in an accident while in their care. It may be easy for you to say as an outsider looking in but it's pretty infuriating and only exacerbated by the fact that their communication so far is horrible. "Our service manager will call you first thing tomorrow" was last Tuesday. Nothing. We'll let you know what the insurance says first thing Monday morning. Nothing. I loved the car for the month I had it but Jesus, their communication gets a big, bold F from me

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Whelp...that sucks. If Rivian won't respond to you, escalate it to your insurance company/agent. It's one thing if it's an owner calling about the car, but it's another when the insurance company calls.

At the very least, you should be able to get a loaner while yours is being fixed.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Not belittling your experience, but as my coworker (who used to work at Toyota/Lexus) just pointed out, so many vehicles get damaged during transport to dealers, you just have no idea your "new to you" car has been in an accident and promptly repaired before hitting the showroom floor because they fix it without involving insurance. No claim, no report.

And yeah I'd be frustrated to, I put myself in your shoes when I made the initial comment and from my point of view of having waited already over 3 years. But as I said, I'd rather have a solid clear answer, and if that takes them a week to get, so be it, rather than a can kicking competition every day in the lead up to a plan of action and what to expect.

I guarantee you, the last thing they wanted to do was have your car get damaged while in their possession.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I'm sorry but "it's unfortunate...they happen all the time" is not acceptible to me considering I just spent $85k on a car a month ago and it was involved in an accident while in their care. It may be easy for you to say as an outsider looking in but it's pretty infuriating and only exacerbated by the fact that their communication so far is horrible. "Our service manager will call you first thing tomorrow" was last Tuesday. Nothing. We'll let you know what the insurance says first thing Monday morning. Nothing. I loved the car for the month I had it but Jesus, their communication gets a big, bold F from me
So sorry to hear about this happening to you!! Bellevue is my service center, too!! I'm sure there are excuses for the poor service you are getting, but none of them are good.

I drove there from E. Washington just Monday of last week (7/25) to pickup my back-ordered spare tire and have them look at a software update issue. They said they would come get the pickup, but I said, NOPE--I'll make the trip over, so I can get it right back the same day and avoid any possible transport damage. The traffic around there is insane!!!

Everything about the pickup seems to be working just fine, so the software-install glitch can wait. They were really busy when I was there. But, they did get my tire installed, evaluated the software situation and even gave poor super-dirty Sir Pentinite a bath pretty quickly. I didn't have to wait long at all. Minor stuff, though.

They probably would have brought the spare over to me on one of their trips to the east side, but I didn't want to wait any longer. We've already put off a few off-road trips due to not having a spare. The software issue would have taken at least two days to deal with and I didn't want to leave it there for that to be done, since I need this pickup every day!! I also have a tonneau cover to be replaced when the new design starts shipping--maybe in August, but I'm not holding my breath.

For me personally, as an early adopter of a new pickup made by a new company, I expected a bumpy road. I bought into it knowing there would probably be a lot of kinks to work out before things would go smoothly. But, I love this pickup and the goals of the company, so am willing to hang in there with it as they work through their newbie problems!!! I feel like I got one hell of a deal considering what prices have done in the EV world while I waited 3.5 years for it to arrive. We feel like we should have ordered two. ✌