First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
CEO
Does anyone know how the semiconductor chip shortage will impact Rivian production? It has taken a serious toll on all other car manufacturers' ability to deliver product. Where I live, local dealer lots are nearly empty!!!
Sponsored

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

This is a good question. I suppose only Rivian would know, but based on my readings the shortages impacted traditional automakers because they cut orders early in the pandemic, but then saw the rise in car purchases that put them in the back of the line of orders.

Since Rivian already has a general idea of its demand and most likely planned accordingly, I don't think it would have impact on its current production. If I were to guess, this would impact new Rivian orders (made after ~March 2020).

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This is a good question. I suppose only Rivian would know, but based on my readings the shortages impacted traditional automakers because they cut orders early in the pandemic, but then saw the rise in car purchases that put them in the back of the line of orders.

Since Rivian already has a general idea of its demand and most likely planned accordingly, I don't think it would have impact on its current production. If I were to guess, this would impact new Rivian orders (made after ~March 2020).
Worth noting at the beginning of this interview last November (before the second round of CoVid issues), RJ did say they expected already that supply chain issues would hamper them into 2023.

Couple that with a lot of economist also saying there will be issues into 2023 I think the answer to that is yes, they will be impacted but we do not know to what extent. I'm pretty sure the supply chain issues are not only related to chip shortages but other material and parts as well.

Rivian R1T R1S Semiconductor Shortage 1632515543756
Sponsored