Self registration and taxes

Kepi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm taking delivery of my R1T in MA tomorrow and they've asked me to self register the truck. After a bunch of back and forth with the guide and delivery team on taxes it appears that Illinois requires them to collect state sales tax and Massachusetts doesn't require you to pay double, so only Illinois needs to be paid. Rivian sent me an IL ST-556 form covering the taxes, and while I'm an out of state buyer there is something about reciprocal taxing that's covered in this doc indicating per buyer state when Illinois will collect taxes and when they won't. For folks in MA the MVU-29 form covers the tax collection happening out of state so you don't need to double pay.

Thought I'd share as it took a lot of back and forth to figure that out.
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm taking delivery of my R1T in MA tomorrow and they've asked me to self register the truck. After a bunch of back and forth with the guide and delivery team on taxes it appears that Illinois requires them to collect state sales tax and Massachusetts doesn't require you to pay double, so only Illinois needs to be paid. Rivian sent me an IL ST-556 form covering the taxes, and while I'm an out of state buyer there is something about reciprocal taxing that's covered in this doc indicating per buyer state when Illinois will collect taxes and when they won't. For folks in MA the MVU-29 form covers the tax collection happening out of state so you don't need to double pay.

Thought I'd share as it took a lot of back and forth to figure that out.
I've bought a car in Illinois while living elsewhere. There's definitely a form that IL has where you can say you aren't registering the car there and will be paying taxes to your home state. I don't recall what the number is, but the dealer was well aware of it and I just paid my home state taxes when I registered it.

OP
OP

Kepi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I've bought a car in Illinois while living elsewhere. There's definitely a form that IL has where you can say you aren't registering the car there and will be paying taxes to your home state. I don't recall what the number is, but the dealer was well aware of it and I just paid my home state taxes when I registered it.
It seems to be per state, covered here. I don't claim to understand the reciprocity setup there, but the table is pretty clear and easy to read :)

Aubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It seems to be per state, covered here. I don't claim to understand the reciprocity setup there, but the table is pretty clear and easy to read :)
Ah...that would do it. CO is exempt with IL.

OP
OP

Kepi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So there's a bill in MA to waive the 6.25% sales tax on first 50k of an EVs value. I wonder how this would work with Rivian charging the IL sales tax.

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192/H3044
I would expect you would not qualify for this as the transaction happens, and is taxed, in IL. I wonder what is stopping Rivian from transacting in MA.

This doc talks about the reciprocity:

Exemption is determined by whether the purchaser’s state gives Illinois residents a nonresident purchaser exemption on their purchases of items that will be titled in Illinois. See ST-58, Reciprocal - Non-Reciprocal Vehicle Tax Rate Chart, available on our website at tax.illinois.gov, and the instructions for Section 6, Line 4 below for more information.
Sponsored