First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
While I am WAY too proud of my parallel parking abilities, and this function is not on my wish list per-se, self-parking is becoming much more standard these days.

I cant find any documentation on the R1T having this ability. Anyone seen anything?

My instinct is this is going to be more of an issue with R1S as it is arguably more of a family vehicle and that function can be useful when dealing with kids and other distractions.

I am pretty surprised that this isn't on the feature list.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Golf Alltrack
While I am WAY too proud of my parallel parking abilities, and this function is not on my wish list per-se, self-parking is becoming much more standard these days.

I cant find any documentation on the R1T having this ability. Anyone seen anything?

My instinct is this is going to be more of an issue with R1S as it is arguably more of a family vehicle and that function can be useful when dealing with kids and other distractions.

I am pretty surprised that this isn't on the feature list.
Currently, only Manual Park Assist (A 360° detection system designed to help sense and alert you to objects. ) is listed as a feature. I suppose they should be able to add it in the future via OTA.

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-features-are-included-in-rivian-driver

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Riviot

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I'm surprised it is not there as well. My 2014 CTS V-Sport had it (never even tried it in the 6 years I owned the car) and I imagine most $50k+ vehicles would have it at this point...

Not a deal breaker for me for another decade or so (I hope :) ) but I agree with earlier posts that this will probably come as an OTA update if not available at launch.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
We don't know whether it will be included or not, only that they don't currently list it as a feature. They seem to have rushed the launch of the configurator and it simply may not have been listed in that haste. Has anyone actually asked customer service about this?

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Golf Alltrack
We don't know whether it will be included or not, only that they don't currently list it as a feature. They seem to have rushed the launch of the configurator and it simply may not have been listed in that haste. Has anyone actually asked customer service about this?
Here's what I got back.
Good question! We haven't shared anything yet about an automatic park assist feature. However, the standard Driver+ safety suite fitted as standard on all Rivians includes many park-assist features such as a 360° detection system designed to help sense and alert you to objects.

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Riviot
Good question! We haven't shared anything yet about an automatic park assist feature. However, the standard Driver+ safety suite fitted as standard on all Rivians includes many park-assist features such as a 360° detection system designed to help sense and alert you to objects.
They are quite adept at the non-answer, answer. ;)

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
They are, no doubt about that, but I think it's reasonable to infer something from that.

"We haven't shared anything yet"

Given that this is a software feature, and we know OTA updates will be sent out, I'm going to guess this feature is somewhere in the backlog, but prepping for the announced features takes priority, and they'll work on it once they have those nailed down, and they have a launch-ready release.

(For what it's worth, I'm speaking from my own experience relaying info on upcoming features to customers when my engineering team did or did not have a particular feature in the backlog)

They have been much more definitive when something is off the table altogether.

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Riviot
To be clear I am in the engineering software business and @MReda is right on with his perspective regarding relaying info to customers. I read between the lines on that response and self-park and agree.

Manufacturers need to be smart on what they release and commit to, it is something I have been very impressed with Rivian about.

That being said, they are running out of runway, we are 6 months from production the details need to come out soon for buyers.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just like JeremyMKE, I am quite proud of my parallel parking ability and show it off every chance I get - which is maybe once a year. I’ll gladly take Sentry Mode for the camera system and Apple CarPlay over any self parking capability.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
My usual assumption is that if Tesla has it Rivian will have it too. Tesla has it. Or rather they say they have it. It really doesn't work very well. In fact it can't usually even find the parking space.

akc5247

First Name
AKC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2024 R1S dual motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It is 2024 now. Anyone here knows if this is still on the radar?

My wife would be into the R1S if it has the self park feature, which she loves in our friend's Tesla. I don't particularly care for it, but given that her input is also going to play into the decision to purchase the R1S at the end of the lease, it would be good to know.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Was it ever? I don't recall Rivian ever promising self-parking ...

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I mean, the R1T page still says:
Trailer Assist: Helps with reverse maneuvers while you have a trailer attached.
As late as January 2022 the site still said:
An open-air removable roof option will be offered in mid-2022.
But as far as I can find, going back to Jan 2021 there appears to be no mention of self parking, just "park assist" referring to the 360 cameras and ultrasonic sensors.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
I wonder what percentage of the drivers of vehicles with the self-park feature actually use it. My guess is a minuscule number. We had it for 6 years and never used it. I think there are more practical features where development $$$ would be better spent.
Sponsored