Sponsored

Self-Applied Vinyl Wrap??

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I found a YouTube about a 3M vinyl wrap product that looks dead simple with great results.

Has anyone used the 3M "Designer Wrap" product? Do you have any comments about whether this would be a good idea to do yourself?

EDIT: I see the video is from 2014. The product may no longer be available. Here's a link to the 3M page mentioning their newest wrap product: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/graphic...les-and-transportation/2080-restylers/colors/

Sponsored

Last edited:

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
My brother used this I think exactly product on his mustang. Maybe it was him but he’s pretty handy and it looked awful. He pulled it off in shame a few months later.

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
Has anyone used the 3M "Designer Wrap" product? Do you have any comments about whether this would be a good idea to do yourself?
These are tricky to answer since it's tough to know your background, patience level and what you're looking to tackle.

I've used 3M 1080 and 2080 vinyl a few times. Latest was to DIY wrap my car's roof and roof box. It took two tries to get the roof right due to applying the film too cold the first time. (I got impatient in the spring lol.)

3M's films have a ton of engineering in them aimed at making install as easy as possible. That said, if this will be the first time wrapping something I'd recommend ordering a small amount of film and wrapping a mirror cap to get to know the film and your patience level. Mirror caps are small but the convex shape will give you a challenge.

If you're going to try laying stripes then you'll need to get something like 3M knifeless tape to get a nice edge and straight cut without taking a blade to your new truck. That knifeless tape is pretty cool but also requires some experience.

I'd say if you like to DIY and know how things work and are OK with making several attempts to get it right then buy a little film and start small. Work your way up if you like it.

dilmorecg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '19 Raptor, '15 Porsche 911 GTS
Ive tried vinyl wrap on a few cars. Interior bits, some small exterior parts. I have not been very successful. I think it is very difficult to do on anything that has any sort of bend/contour. Perfectly flat panel is easy but anything that has a bend in more than one direction I haven't been able to figure out. Ive watched tons of videos and cant figure out how pros do it so easily.
Sponsored