First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger 2007
Occupation
Producer
Hello, I have a question about the non analog system of such vehicles as these. Specifically Driver+. Tesla cars can be hacked which can possibly compromise the car making such a vehicle useless and absolutely worthless. Are these vehicles by RIVIAN completely hack proof as you could say to any such threats? It seems to me such software or any ware for that matter that can be accessed other than the car itself is extremely unsafe and shouldn’t be legal. As great as it may be otherwise. I really hope it isn’t a problem because I truly want to absolutely unconditionally love this car a 100%. This is my only concern. Also where are the crash test safety ratings??
Thank you!!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveyw...utonomously-accelerate-up-to-85-in-a-35-zone/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/11/23/tesla-modelx-hack/
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Hello, I have a question about the non analog system of such vehicles as these. Specifically Driver+. Tesla cars can be hacked which can possibly compromise the car making such a vehicle useless and absolutely worthless. Are these vehicles by RIVIAN completely hack proof as you could say to any such threats? It seems to me such software or any ware for that matter that can be accessed other than the car itself is extremely unsafe and shouldn’t be legal. As great as it may be otherwise. I really hope it isn’t a problem because I truly want to absolutely unconditionally love this car a 100%. This is my only concern. Also where are the crash test safety ratings??
Thank you!!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveyw...utonomously-accelerate-up-to-85-in-a-35-zone/

No device with a network connection is completely hack proof. If that is your expectation you might want to consider moving somewhere off grid and giving up all modern conveniences. Just like any other modern compute device, vulnerabilities will be identified and will need to be patched over time. The good news is that Rivian is architected for OTA updates which means they can quickly patch vulnerabilities as they are identified. (edit: I won't even get into what can happen with direct physical access to a vehicle and the cybersecurity implications that the "Right to Repair" folks don't seem to grasp.)

Official crash test safety ratings are not available yet and it is entirely possible that they may not be available before Rivian begins deliveries.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/some-cars-will-never-be-crash-tested-crash-test-ratings/

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I won't even get into what can happen with direct physical access to a vehicle and the cybersecurity implications that the "Right to Repair" folks don't seem to grasp
If an owner opens themselves up to compromise because they messed with the supported software, that's on them. But it doesn't seem reasonable that the vehicle you own is really only licensed to you to use in a specific way that the manufacturer has cleared. After all, is it ok for Rivian to intentionally brick your $80k truck when they decide to discontinue software updates?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
" If an owner opens themselves up to compromise because they messed with the supported software, that's on them. " In this litigious society, it's NEVER "on them", especially when it should be.

OP
OP

Qinectar

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger 2007
Occupation
Producer
Thank you!!!

Hopefully Rivian at the least can allow you to turn the network connection/access off and have it encrypted and password protected by the owner. ??? Please oh please RIVIAN. Make it safe and impenetrable.
thank you !

Sponsored

OP
OP

Qinectar

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger 2007
Occupation
Producer
It will not be completely safe and impenetrable. Nothing is.
Yes but much more attention must be put towards this for it to be as bulletproof and invulnerable as possible. This should be of foremost importance to anything else that a car owner should hope to see with these new wirelessly operated and connected vehicles presently. A most secure and safe operating system for vehicles currently should be shown as the utmost importance. When it comes to safety It is now no longer just potentially (while driving) operator error of the vehicle or mechanical failure but also software failure/hacks/glitches. Car manufacturers should allow all consumers to have the option to have a connected network as a part of the car and one that does not have any external connection other than simply yourself and the vehicle...
thank you for reading these comments to whoever does we could save potentially a lot of lives. Or we can make it so none will need to be saved.
thank you.

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
I'm with @Qinectar here.

Nothing can ever be completely safe or impenetrable, but there are some basic steps that improve the safety of a system.

When cars were purely mechanical systems, the "only" safety to consider was the mechanical safety -- the quality of the construction (ensure the car won't fall apart at 65 mph), and resilience to impacts (crash safety tests). Now that cars, especially new vehicles like the Rivians, have an enormous software infrastructure that interfaces with the mechanical system, there is a whole new suite of safety considerations that need to be tested and evaluated.

As stated in other posts, one can divide the software safety into two categories:

1. what is the distribution of bugs in the existing code, and what level of potential risk is associated with each bug?

2. what is the potential for a person with malicious intent to gain access to the vehicle?

Given no code is ever bug free, updates are essential to patch bugs, which means that having the vehicle connected to the internet helps to solve category 1 problems.

However . . .

Being connected to the network exposes the vehicle to category 2 problems. Addressing category 2 problems involves encryption, strong passwords, and the option to disconnect the car from the network!
Sponsored