CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The frunk is not secure to someone with google:
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 2.24.21 PM.png
That'd be a pretty targeted attack.

For most people, the only security needed is to be a harder target than the people around you. It'll be unlikely thieves target stuff they can't see and don't know you have.

louisdeg

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21” wheels
Occupation
Home inspector
Stuff there would be out of sight...similarly with the frunk. One advantage might be that tweekers might not know about gear tunnels. No car is secure from a crow bar, of course, but I'm going with the gear tunnel as secure.
You would be surprised how hard it is to break into a locked door on a vehicle with no glass to shatter. I’m a rescue squad firefighter and it takes quite a bit of effort to break the locking system on a car door, hood or lift gate- even with hydraulic rescue tools. Using a crowbar would take quite a while.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Have we confirmed that? I know there's an emergency-release button, by law, so that a trapped human can get out. Is this disabled when the tonneau is open? Or could someone reach over the bed rail when the tonneau is open and push the button to drop the tailgate?
Do we know if the emergency release is for the tailgate or the tonneau cover. I have never had an emergency release for a tailgate. I have had releases for the rolling tonneau covers.

Is the cover metal/plastic slats or fabric?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Do we know if the emergency release is for the tailgate or the tonneau cover. I have never had an emergency release for a tailgate. I have had releases for the rolling tonneau covers.

Is the cover metal/plastic slats or fabric?
The release is for the tailgate.

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks, I do find that odd.
Why? The tailgate has a latch like a trunk. I bet the latches for the tailgate are very similar if not the same parts as the gear tunnel ones.

the tonneau has to be wound back in.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Why? The tailgate has a latch like a trunk. I bet the latches for the tailgate are very similar if not the same parts as the gear tunnel ones.

the tonneau has to be wound back in.
My cover has a lever that disengages the gears, allowing you to roll it back in. This can also be done in the event the power fails to the cover. If The R1T has a powered tonneau cover, how can you open it if there is no power? If there is an option, then an additional tailgate release is not necessary.
A truck bed is NOT a trunk. Mine will be dirty and wet, filled with rocks and anything else I so feel like. I am concerned that release, switches, and anything else in the bed will get gummed up and probably not be functional after a year or two.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My cover has a lever that disengages the gears, allowing you to roll it back in. This can also be done in the event the power fails to the cover. If The R1T has a powered tonneau cover, how can you open it if there is no power? If there is an option, then an additional tailgate release is not necessary.
the point is it’s easier to just drop the tailgate than roll back a tonneau cover to meet the emergency release rules, which in the case of aftermarket rolling covers is obviously done because there’s no internal release for the tailgate latches.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

That'd be a pretty targeted attack.

For most people, the only security needed is to be a harder target than the people around you. It'll be unlikely thieves target stuff they can't see and don't know you have.
I agree with you that this would be quite targeted, and many cretins would move on to the low-hanging fruit of the purse on the seat. That said, in the auto insurance business, Auto Physical Damage Claims Adjusters are familiar with the specific vehicle crime stats provided by NHTSA, III, and the other alphabet soup organizations. From NHTSA:

"Statistics for the most stolen vehicles
According to 2018 statistics on auto theft in the U.S., the most stolen car was the Honda Civic, which includes all makes and models of the car. The most stolen 2018 car model was the GMC full-size pickup.

The table below shows the top 10 most stolen vehicles in 2018, as well as the top 10 most stolen 2018 models within the same year:

RankCarNumber stolen
1Honda Civic38,426
2Honda Accord36,815
3Ford pickup36,355
4Chevrolet pickup31,566
5Toyota Camry16,906
6Nissan Altima13,284
7Toyota Corolla12,388
8GMC pickup11,708
9Dodge pickup11,226
10Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee9,818
"
These organizations know the stats for thefts, break-ins with or without glass broken, how many were accomplished by popping the lock, how many by slim-jim, ad nauseum. They'll let you know crime by car within a certain zip code, by color, year, trim level, yak, yak, yak...

For years, Honda and Toyota dominated these lists because thieves knew how to easily get into them. It was before the internet was around to provide instructions, but they were commonly known amongst criminals as easy vehicles to get into. I'd prefer sites didn't advertise that removing three screws will open the frunk, although it must be necessary for safety reasons.

At one point, Toyota and Ford apparently only used ten different key cuts for certain models. I'd heard that "rumor" and thought it ridiculous until I used a rental Ford Tempo one day. I walked into a store, came out shortly thereafter, unlocked my car, got in, fired it up, and looked to my right. Just as I noticed stuff in the car that wasn't mine, I also noticedy my rental car was to the right, two slots away. The man in the car between gave me the stink-eye. He was waiting for his wife and saw me pull up in one car and start to leave in another. Luckily, he just shrugged his shoulders, as if to say, "that stupid rumor must be true!" Kind of embarrassing. In this day and age, this could have been kind of deadly.

Regarding Rivian and this instructional/ safety piece, I expect some POS will try it out and post videos on FaceCrook, PikLok, YouRube, SnatchCrap, or InstaCrime, challenging other POS-types to beat their time of 27.89 seconds and also see who walks away with the best parting gifts. As with all production lines, the POS criminal community will compete to shorten those times, sharing efficiencies to the break-in process, along with pics and videos of all the cool stuff Rivian owners left in their frunks.

After that cheery note, I almost forgot.
Merry Christmas, everyone! ⛄???

Last edited:

Sponsored