Sponsored

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
https://www.ajc.com/news/rivian-may...-plant-in-georgia/RWLUPO24KJB35BZ6EGQWLMEVRU/

(Apologies if article is paywalled)

Electric vehicle maker Rivian Automotive is in late-stage discussions to open a vehicle manufacturing and battery plant east of Atlanta along Interstate 20, according to people with knowledge of the deal.

Rivian would potentially construct the facility on property in the area of Morgan, Newton and Walton counties, these people said. The precise location was not disclosed, nor was an estimate of how much Rivian would invest. The people stressed to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the negotiations arenā€™t final yet, and details could change.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This pleases me, as it appears that Rivian now acknowledges that the southeastern US does exist!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
https://www.ajc.com/news/rivian-may...-plant-in-georgia/RWLUPO24KJB35BZ6EGQWLMEVRU/

Electric vehicle maker Rivian Automotive is in late-stage discussions to open a vehicle manufacturing and battery plant east of Atlanta along Interstate 20, according to people with knowledge of the deal.

Rivian would potentially construct the facility on property in the area of Morgan, Newton and Walton counties, these people said. The precise location was not disclosed, nor was an estimate of how much Rivian would invest. The people stressed to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the negotiations arenā€™t final yet, and details could change.
So basically eastern Atlanta ex-urbs and not too far from Athens either. I used to have a co-worker who commuted to downtown ATL from Rutledge, so it's theoretically possible to draw labor from the ATL metro or at least couples where one spouse works at Rivian commuting east to work and the other works in ATL metro commuting west to work.

I'm pretty sure the I-20 corridor gives good highway and rail access to the ports in Savannah and Charleston.

I think that area makes more sense for a company like Rivian than the mega-site outside Savannah. That site would be a better fit for a different type of industrial site or manufacturer, IMO.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Article

"The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Monday that Rivian Automotive is in ā€œlate-stage negotiationsā€ to build the facility near Interstate 20 in the Stanton Springs area. Thatā€™s where Morgan, Newton and Walton counties come together near Social Circle."

Sponsored

ggreeneva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Digital communications
I'm pretty sure the I-20 corridor gives good highway and rail access to the ports in Savannah and Charleston.
Yep. This potential location seems better suited than inland Texas for production of vehicles for export, especially for products intended for shipment to Europe. Freight assembled there can be shipped by rail to the ports of Charleston or Savannah without needing to pass through Atlanta.
Rivian R1T R1S Second Rivian Factory Most Likely to be in Georgia. Late-Stage Negotiations Ongoing IMG_0382

Georgia freight rail map, via Ga. Dept. of Transportation

Rivian R1T R1S Second Rivian Factory Most Likely to be in Georgia. Late-Stage Negotiations Ongoing IMG_0383

South Carolina rail map, featuring connection east from Augusta to Charleston. Source: S.C. Dept of Transportation

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yep. This potential location seems better suited than inland Texas for production of vehicles for export, especially for products intended for shipment to Europe. Freight assembled there can be shipped by rail to the ports of Charleston or Savannah without needing to pass through Atlanta.
IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

South Carolina rail map, featuring connection east from Augusta to Charleston. Source: S.C. Dept of Transportation
And better access to raw materials coming in for battery production.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

Any time you can avoid going through Atlanta I consider that a win, regardless of your method of travel.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
They updated the article with a statement from Rivian:

Irvine, California-based Rivian said Monday it ā€œis in discussions with multiple locations as part of a competitive process for siting a second manufacturing facility.ā€

ā€œThis may include Rivian being involved in certain public facing processes at potential locations. Involvement in these processes does not indicate a final decision,ā€ the company added in a statement.

Sponsored

doozenberg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Model 3, ā€˜22 Model Y, R1S reservation holder
Occupation
Physician
This is nice, but they barely have 1 of 3 production lines operating, no where near full capacity. They are a brand new manufacturer. A 2nd factory might be a little early, but what do I know

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This is nice, but they barely have 1 of 3 production lines operating, no where near full capacity. They are a brand new manufacturer. A 2nd factory might be a little early, but what do I know
If you wait until you need it to start working on your second factory, it's already too late.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 lines. They have 2 lines in Normal.

It takes years to negotiate for land, zoning, tax preferences/economic development credits, prep the site, build the plant, and get it up to speed. They expect to be at full capacity in Normal by 2023. If they want a 2nd factory up and running in 2023, they need to know where itā€™s going on the next few months and start construction shortly after.

doozenberg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Model 3, ā€˜22 Model Y, R1S reservation holder
Occupation
Physician
Generous to say two lines are running. Ramp hasnā€™t even begun. Canā€™t wait to see them pump out en masse, i.e. more than a handful of r1ts per day. At current rate, my r1s is years away :/
Sponsored