Sponsored

Second pre-order?

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Has anyone thought about placing a second pre-order before vehicles are delivered and demand (presumably) spikes?

I originally configured an LE more as a "wait and see" configuration. I figured I could always opt for the max pack if I did not want the LE. Now, with the way auto supply chains and used cars are going, I wonder if the better strategy is to place a second pre-order today (with the max pack) with the thought it wouldn't be delivered until some time in 2024.

I can take delivery of the LE for 1-2 years. If I decide it fits my needs, I can cancel the second pre-order. If I want the max pack, I could sell my used LE presumably for a reasonable price if Rivian is still supply-constrained and I made my pre-order before the majority of the public.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I've had similar thoughts but haven't pulled the trigger.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I placed a 2nd pre-order 2 months ago. This thing is going to be huge!

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

DO IT NOW! The sooner you sign up, the sooner you'll get it.

The only cost is the loss of potential returns on $1000, which could be zero if it's in a shitty "savings" account.

The day Rivian announces a R2 vehicle, I'll be pre-ordering it for my wife. She'll be ok with a smaller vehicle (that costs less).

RivLiam

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Has anyone thought about placing a second pre-order before vehicles are delivered and demand (presumably) spikes?

I originally configured an LE more as a "wait and see" configuration. I figured I could always opt for the max pack if I did not want the LE. Now, with the way auto supply chains and used cars are going, I wonder if the better strategy is to place a second pre-order today (with the max pack) with the thought it wouldn't be delivered until some time in 2024.

I can take delivery of the LE for 1-2 years. If I decide it fits my needs, I can cancel the second pre-order. If I want the max pack, I could sell my used LE presumably for a reasonable price if Rivian is still supply-constrained and I made my pre-order before the majority of the public.

Thoughts?
Yup yup yup, basically the R1T I have now with Max pack is(will be) on order once they let me click the button, then sell the current large pack for profit and call it a day if prices are high enough. If I can break even it'll be a win for me since I got the rebate on the last one but can't on this one. The day my R1T was delivered it could've sold online for 105+ - and if I didn't wait so damn long and love the truck so much I would've enjoyed making an easy 20-30k
Sponsored