First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I'd be OK with them having a technology package that includes higher resolution videos, and 90-120hz display.
Maybe even extra services like AA/CP and SXM and a good res HUD.
I'd also be cool with an old school package that includes knobs!
Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Had my first mile drive today. Rivian blue with black mountain interior. 45 minutes goes FAST. I do NOT recommend the 4:30pm slot. It gets dark real quick and rain makes it way worse. It was hard to take everything in and get used to driving an electric car. This was my first EV and the first 7-10 minutes is figuring out how to be smooth the with gas/regen. Didn't take too long to get the hang of it, but that's about 10 minutes of not taking in fine details elsewhere. Found a parking lot to switch and my wife got to drive for 10 minutes too.

The windshield defogger had a hard time in the cold and rain. it would work for a while and then fog up again. There is a defroster setting that was able to get the job done. The guide was surprised that the defroster worked better than the defogger...just weird.

Got to use the driver+ for 3-4 miles on the highway. Nothing particularly interesting except that it stayed in the center of the lane in the rainy weather in the dark.

Played with the interface, everything was very snappy. The forward camera had no lag/jittery. Was hard to say how high res it was or wasn't. I asked about resolution but didn't get a real answer. Didn't seem very high-res to me. This was also in the dark and the rain.

Here's the one new thing that I haven't seen mentioned: the low-speed sound. It sounds like white noise. I'm suspecting they were going for waterfall with all the nature sounds. It seems like a speaker in the front and rear. Did not hear it from inside the car, but as it was leaving.

random tidbit: they usually have 2 trucks, but right now they have 8. Will be going back down to 2 after the first mile event is over here.

I also asked about R1S production and he had the company line of production deliveries next month.
Any feedback/commentary on the headlights and what vehicle you'd be comparing the R1T lights to? Light pattern, color, brightness, cutoff, etc?

cryogen97

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx9, Ford Edge
Clubs

Any feedback/commentary on the headlights and what vehicle you'd be comparing the R1T lights to? Light pattern, color, brightness, cutoff, etc?
They were fine. I'm used to the really nice LED headlights in my CX9. About the same with the Rivian. Good bright neutral white color, maybe 5000k or 4500k. Good sharp cutoff at the top with a small purple fringe from refraction at the edge. Did not notice the corner illumination but the rain can really kill that.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I had my first drive scheduled for 4:30 on Saturday and just had to cancel it (caught covid). If you still are looking for a time slot go look now - maybe you will get lucky!
How dare you speak such blasphemous words on this forum. Everyone knows that the Holy Forum knows all, is all, and contains all

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
So, we did the thing. ?

I rocked the GoPro forehead mount for the Garage Test fit and walk around. Spoiler alert - it fits with room to spare and the charge cable reaches both the Leaf and R1T. ? Boom, measure twenty times for the win!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cpJD5N7uWq41XCej9

My wife vetoed the use of the GoPro on the actual drive because apparently I get distracted by shiny gadgetry in the most mundane and safe of times ...and we did not need the potential safety hazard of me checking to see if I was recording during spacetime-bending acceleration onto the highway. Fair point I guess. ?

The iMac's hamster wheel is full tilt slogging through about 23minutes of 4K video and should be available this weekend after the BDay week festivities conclude. I apologize in advance for elevated pulse-mouth breathing and forgetting to tweak the angle of the forehead mount down just a tad.

I tried taking stills but was soooo geeked out that my exposures were waaay off (hence forgetting to check the GoPro angle) so probably won't be posting those...well maybe. Haven't actually looked at the RAW files yet to see if any of them are salvageable. ? Lightroom to the rescue.

Hmmm...do Google Photos video links work here? That's likely where I'll likely throw the video because I'm not cool enough for YouTube's Verified Rule nor do I want/need to spend the time to cut the video down below 15 minutes. ? I could throw it up on my NAS but that video player GUI is garbage ...meh. We'll see.

Stay tuned. ✌❤⚡??

P.S.-Before ANYONE asks if this truck was another other than Launch Green...it was Launch Green. NOT Limestone, not El Cap Granite...etc lol LG in person is pretty awesome but as many have said all Rivian Paint colors vary depending on the lighting conditions drastically. I can vouch for this at least for LG.

Last edited:

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
So, we did the thing. ?

I rocked the GoPro forehead mount for the Garage Test fit and walk around. Spoiler alert - it fits with room to spare and the charge cable reaches both the Leaf and R1T. ? Boom, measure twenty times for the win!

My wife vetoed the use of the GoPro on the actual drive because apparently I get distracted by shiny gadgetry in the most mundane and safe of times ...and we did not need the potential safety hazard of me checking to see if I was recording during spacetime-bending acceleration onto the highway. Fair point I guess. ?

The iMac's hamster wheel is full tilt slogging through about 23minutes of 4K video and should be available this weekend after the BDay week festivities conclude. I apologize in advance for elevated pulse-mouth breathing and forgetting to tweak the angle of the forehead mount down just a tad.

I tried taking stills but was soooo geeked out that my exposures we're waaay off (hence forgetting to check the GoPro angle) so probably won't be posting those...well maybe. Haven't actually looked at the RAW files yet to see if any of them are salvageable. ? Lightroom to the rescue.

Hmmm...do Google Photos video links work here? That's likely where I'll likely throw the video because I'm not cool enough for YouTube's Verified Rule nor do I want/need to spend the time to cut the video down below 15 minutes. ? I could throw it up on my NAS but that video player GUI is garbage ...meh. We'll see.

Stay tuned. ✌❤⚡??
But… how was the drive?! Haha.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's worth-the-wait good. ? Simply bumper-to-bumper unreal. ?
did you get a chance to try plugging it in to a large power outlet like you were planning?

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
did you get a chance to try plugging it in to a large power outlet like you were planning?
@SeaGeo Unfortunately not. :confused: We spent too much time in the garage gawking at the realization that vaporware had finally manifested on our premises...that and the drive was cut short by an unfortunate need to learn how to both soft and hard reset the OS. Which is kinda cool that we can do that, but still not great when you're already kinda short on time.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Anyone else in the Metro area with a preoder still unable to even see the scheduling calendar? For some reason I have a feeling I'm not going to get to even see the truck before they move on to another city.
2018 reservation holders only for now:

The current Seattle event is for early (starting in 2018) Launch Edition preorder holders. Be sure to sign up for our Demo Events here. As soon as we are able to host you at a demo event, we will send an email invitation. Thanks for your patience and understanding as we approach that time.
As for the R1S deliveries in Summer-ish of 2022... makes sense.

The R1S will probably follow a similar delivery pattern as the R1T. The first several will go to internal employees and such for "Real World" testing and QC/QA. So, by December they will be pushing out R1S to employees, and will kick off non-employee deliveries in Q2 2022.

Or... the driver was ill informed, that's possible as well.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
2018 reservation holders only for now:

As for the R1S deliveries in Summer-ish of 2022... makes sense.

The R1S will probably follow a similar delivery pattern as the R1T. The first several will go to internal employees and such for "Real World" testing and QC/QA. So, by December they will be pushing out R1S to employees, and will kick off non-employee deliveries in Q2 2022.

Or... the driver was ill informed, that's possible as well.
Where did you get the excerpt that it's only for 2018 LE holders? It'd be great if that context was actually somewhere readily available. There's a day 1 max pack preorder holder in the area on Reddit that's frustrated he hasn't heard a peep (understandably).
Sponsored