Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I've been concerned about the camera quality as well. That's multiple different people stating the same. Sounds like they might have gone cheap on those, which is unfortunate since many of the features of the vehicle are going to use those.
For example, check out the video quality at 3:09 of this review. Very choppy and appears kinda low rez.
Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I only briefly used the cameras on my test drive, but they seemed pretty good to me. No chop or lag. So maybe it’s differences in software between trucks?

karma.rules

First Name
Venu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL
Occupation
Software Professional
First ride and drive yesterday. Excellent in all respects. I offered to exchange my Land Rover Discovery on the spot but was politely refused. Only new info R1S deliveries will probably start in summer or fall of 2022. Hope it wont delay beyond that.
Sorry you were rejected on the trade with your LR Discovery :) About the news on R1S deliveries potentially moving to summer or fall of 2022 is huge news and quite a bummer. We had R1S and R1T orders in 2020 May and 2020 Nov respectively. We recently traded the configs to R1T and R1S hoping we would get at least R1T sooner. Now I am glad we did with R1S being delayed.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
About the news on R1S deliveries potentially moving to summer or fall of 2022 is huge news and quite a bummer.
It's still way better than some of the Rivian insider rumors of the R1S pushing out to 2023. Just wish Rivian would provide consistent information as we're hearing different estimates from different employees and the S-1 indicates something different yet again (and more optimistic which is particularly concerning post-IPO).

karma.rules

First Name
Venu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL
Occupation
Software Professional
It's still way better than some of the Rivian insider rumors of the R1S pushing out to 2023. Just wish Rivian would provide consistent information as we're hearing different estimates from different employees and the S-1 indicates something different yet again (and more optimistic which is particularly concerning post-IPO).
I agree. I think the hesitation by Rivian is because they still have some unknowns to iron out in their production ramp. I just saw a photo of R1T parked somewhere that is supposed to be a non employee owned Truck and it’s exterior build quality appeared much better than the previous ones. If that’s checked out, it is a worthy investment and the customers will appreciate the higher quality eventually.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I only briefly used the cameras on my test drive, but they seemed pretty good to me. No chop or lag. So maybe it’s differences in software between trucks?
I didn't notice choppiness or lag (at least not in the reverse cams, didn't try the fwd cams) in my drive. In general the UI seemed performant, including cameras, so it sounds like they chased out some gremlins since the Colorado event.

The camera resolution itself is poor and I think that just comes down to small/cheap sensors and a large display - not much you can do in software to fix that unfortunately. They're plenty good for actual driving but I wish the quality was better for e.g. the Gear Guard and other functionality.

Not a serious negative mark against the vehicle, just a bit of a low hanging fruit given how sharp the displays are.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I didn't notice choppiness or lag (at least not in the reverse cams, didn't try the fwd cams) in my drive. In general the UI seemed performant, including cameras, so it sounds like they chased out some gremlins since the Colorado event.

The camera resolution itself is poor and I think that just comes down to small/cheap sensors and a large display - not much you can do in software to fix that unfortunately. They're plenty good for actual driving but I wish the quality was better for e.g. the Gear Guard and other functionality.

Not a serious negative mark against the vehicle, just a bit of a low hanging fruit given how sharp the displays are.
Disappointing. Let’s fix it Rivian..

cryogen97

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx9, Ford Edge
Clubs

I'll be sure to ask in a couple hours what's the deal with the low res cameras.

cryogen97

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx9, Ford Edge
Clubs

Had my first mile drive today. Rivian blue with black mountain interior. 45 minutes goes FAST. I do NOT recommend the 4:30pm slot. It gets dark real quick and rain makes it way worse. It was hard to take everything in and get used to driving an electric car. This was my first EV and the first 7-10 minutes is figuring out how to be smooth the with gas/regen. Didn't take too long to get the hang of it, but that's about 10 minutes of not taking in fine details elsewhere. Found a parking lot to switch and my wife got to drive for 10 minutes too.

The windshield defogger had a hard time in the cold and rain. it would work for a while and then fog up again. There is a defroster setting that was able to get the job done. The guide was surprised that the defroster worked better than the defogger...just weird.

Got to use the driver+ for 3-4 miles on the highway. Nothing particularly interesting except that it stayed in the center of the lane in the rainy weather in the dark.

Played with the interface, everything was very snappy. The forward camera had no lag/jittery. Was hard to say how high res it was or wasn't. I asked about resolution but didn't get a real answer. Didn't seem very high-res to me. This was also in the dark and the rain.

Here's the one new thing that I haven't seen mentioned: the low-speed sound. It sounds like white noise. I'm suspecting they were going for waterfall with all the nature sounds. It seems like a speaker in the front and rear. Did not hear it from inside the car, but as it was leaving.

random tidbit: they usually have 2 trucks, but right now they have 8. Will be going back down to 2 after the first mile event is over here.

I also asked about R1S production and he had the company line of production deliveries next month.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Hopefully the camera quality doesn't suffer at night... the one on the ID.4 unusable in the dark. It's a surprisingly annoying feature to have suck.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone else in the Metro area with a preoder still unable to even see the scheduling calendar? For some reason I have a feeling I'm not going to get to even see the truck before they move on to another city.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
Anyone else in the Metro area with a preoder still unable to even see the scheduling calendar? For some reason I have a feeling I'm not going to get to even see the truck before they move on to another city.
I am in Issaquah, Feb 2019 R1S LE reservation. Haven’t received any communication about First mile. Looks like people in North Bend, Mapple Valley got a chance to drive and I am still being told by the CS rep that my guide will contact by end of the month. I also started to feel like possibly no more first mile driving invite here. Very frustrating!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I am in Issaquah, Feb 2019 R1S LE reservation. Haven’t received any communication about First mile. Looks like people in North Bend, Mapple Valley got a chance to drive and I am still being told by the CS rep that my guide will contact by end of the month. I also started to feel like possibly no more first mile driving invite here. Very frustrating!
Yeah. I'm literally on the way to Maple Valley from Bellevue. They could have saved some electrons and combined a trip!

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Hopefully the camera quality doesn't suffer at night... the one on the ID.4 unusable in the dark. It's a surprisingly annoying feature to have suck.
I too am appalled by the night view on the Id 4 camera. My 2014 forester’s camera is even better.
Sponsored