GIJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Tesla 3
So, we did the thing. ?

I rocked the GoPro forehead mount for the Garage Test fit and walk around. Spoiler alert - it fits with room to spare and the charge cable reaches both the Leaf and R1T. ? Boom, measure twenty times for the win!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cpJD5N7uWq41XCej9

My wife vetoed the use of the GoPro on the actual drive because apparently I get distracted by shiny gadgetry in the most mundane and safe of times ...and we did not need the potential safety hazard of me checking to see if I was recording during spacetime-bending acceleration onto the highway. Fair point I guess. ?

The iMac's hamster wheel is full tilt slogging through about 23minutes of 4K video and should be available this weekend after the BDay week festivities conclude. I apologize in advance for elevated pulse-mouth breathing and forgetting to tweak the angle of the forehead mount down just a tad.

I tried taking stills but was soooo geeked out that my exposures were waaay off (hence forgetting to check the GoPro angle) so probably won't be posting those...well maybe. Haven't actually looked at the RAW files yet to see if any of them are salvageable. ? Lightroom to the rescue.

Hmmm...do Google Photos video links work here? That's likely where I'll likely throw the video because I'm not cool enough for YouTube's Verified Rule nor do I want/need to spend the time to cut the video down below 15 minutes. ? I could throw it up on my NAS but that video player GUI is garbage ...meh. We'll see.

Stay tuned. ✌❤⚡??

P.S.-Before ANYONE asks if this truck was another other than Launch Green...it was Launch Green. NOT Limestone, not El Cap Granite...etc lol LG in person is pretty awesome but as many have said all Rivian Paint colors vary depending on the lighting conditions drastically. I can vouch for this at least for LG.
Thanks for sharing your pictures and video! That was awesome. It was so great to hear your excitement! This is what I love about this forum.

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Dodge Durange R/T, Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Biostatistician
So awesome...! Thanks for sharing...

It is Christmas morning for me... hoping Santa is bringing me Launch Green at 10am. And, like a little kid, I was up at like 4:30am thinking about opening my presents...
So... I did *not* drive the Launch Green, but a white R1T this morning. It was #34 or 35 according to the VIN. Can't remember exactly which, I was too excited to see it drive up. Apparently, some rando was excited about it too... she followed the Rivian rep into my neighborhood, parked her car, and then asked if she could just gawk at it a bit. I said, cool, but I'm leaving in a few minutes. ?

Outside: I spent about 15 minutes with it parked, getting a closer feel for the exterior features that I've seen pictures of. Coming from a '06 Ridgeline, the truck bed is going to be totally fine for me. Tonneau cover was rolled back and disabled, nothing else said about it. Between the gear tunnel and frunk, I'm almost thinking I don't want/need a tonneau cover if it is going to have/cause issues. Lastly, this particular truck had a crack in the upper driver side windshield (happened that morning?). Given its early VIN number, there were a couple of noticeable panel gaps around the gear tunnel door - but nothing too bad.

Inside: First, at arrival the ride height was set to 'off road' and it was a jump to get in (I'm 6'1"). My (5'4") wife needed it to be lowered down to comfortably get in and out, and it was mentioned that lowering would/may be a standard feature when put into park. Without doing too much customized adjustment for me, front and back seats were reasonably comfortable. Love the space in between the front driver and passenger foot wells. Fit and finish inside was excellent.

Infotainment/controls: I could have spent a whole day really getting to know this side of the truck, but basically let the Rivian guy help with most things. If I were sitting on a couch, I think all of the functionality would be totally acceptable... everything worked quickly and clearly. In drive mode? I can't see getting used to this over-sized iPad while driving... ever. Settings changes while driving were not intuitive or comfortable for me. I know I'm used to old-school technology, but physical buttons seem far superior in terms of function and speed. That said, being in the Alexa eco-system, I can see a reality where I never actually touch the front screen whatsoever. Unfortunately, Alexa was locked out for this drive and I couldn't really put that theory to test.

The drive: I had a route mapped out and thought to myself, "that's a pretty sucky route". It was a sucky route. I drove to the Costco in Woodinville and back home. There were two freeway on-ramps where I thought I might get to let it rip, but no, nothing but Prius' (Prii?) in front of me. I did tell the Rivian guy, I just kind of want to drive this how I'd normally drive it and look at the miles per kWh. Driving conservatively, I was averaging close to 2.0... not bad, it was cold this morning. Lastly, driving this truck - I felt like a celebrity. People waved, stopped, slowed down on the freeway... I'm not on Mercer Island, so maybe its street appeal just depends on where you drive! ; )

Only new nuggets of info that the Rivian guy let out, accurate or not, is that about 300 R1T deliveries have now been made and that they have received a bunch of new R1Ts for an anticipated larger wave of deliveries in December. Crossing my fingers, it's a great truck! My little boy thought it was "sick"... -->

Rivian R1T R1S Seattle Rivian First Mile Test Drive Event Impressions & Reviews - by Forum Members IMG_1027

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Only new nuggets of info that the Rivian guy let out, accurate or not, is that about 300 R1T deliveries have now been made and that they have received a bunch of new R1Ts for an anticipated larger wave of deliveries in December.
That's got to be the 9 or so that arrived yesterday.

Nice write-up!

Interesting frame of reference, my ID.4 averaged 2.3 mi/kwh today over about 25 miles of mixed driving. None of it hard. This summer I averaged 3.3 to 3.4. So I'll take 2.0!

Sponsored