First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I did my drive in Seattle on Monday morning. I think the thing that surprised me most is how much the driving dynamics seemed to shift from Off-Road to Sport. It really felt like the personality changed completely. It was really hard to believe I was driving a truck riding on AT's when in Sport mode to be honest. I'm sure it effects the launch speed, but it was PLENTY fast. I think I might re-configure my LE R1S to AT's....
Sponsored

delmi

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Land Rover Discovery
First ride and drive yesterday. Excellent in all respects. I offered to exchange my Land Rover Discovery on the spot but was politely refused. Only new info R1S deliveries will probably start in summer or fall of 2022. Hope it wont delay beyond that.

Rivianmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
First ride and drive yesterday. Excellent in all respects. I offered to exchange my Land Rover Discovery on the spot but was politely refused. Only new info R1S deliveries will probably start in summer or fall of 2022. Hope it wont delay beyond that.
Summer for Sā€™s? Even LEā€™s?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

A few photos and impressions from my First Drive in Seattle today:

1637102442156.png

1637102501584.png

(uh oh... nevermind my rake comment)

Impressions:

Fit & finish are top notch, ride dynamics are truly astounding, UX is great. Didn't really evaluate performance (EVs are fast, yawn) but it handles great. Easily better cornering than my Model Y and honestly the handling felt less "tossy" while still being planted vs. my previous Model 3 Performance.

Great one-pedal driving - never had to touch the brakes and the "throttle feel" of the accelerator was very nice; a tad more forgiving at the initial toe-in than my Teslas, but plenty punchy in the bottom half. I would bet a lot of the slower 0-60 impressions are just accustomed to a tighter accelerator response.

Driver+ was fine on I90, felt just like Autopilot.

The most impressive thing for me was just how "tight" everything feels - no rattles/squeaks/chirps, nothing inside felt cheap or loose, super quiet on the highway, just very composed in general. Tesla falls on its face in all those details by comparison. Infotainment felt fine - I didn't interact with it a ton but everything seemed plenty responsive and certainly looks nice. Love the binnacle display with maps.

Exterior seemed great, no fit and finish issues. Launch Green is a stunner in person, especially on an overcast day - it really takes a lot from the lighting and is a super dynamic color. Tonneau cover was disabled; both the gear tunnel and tailgate didn't open the first time I tried the button, but I think the truck might have just been locked centrally.

Overall it outperformed my very high expectations. The only thing I truly wish was better (that isn't already confirmed to be fixed) is the exterior camera quality.
I've been concerned about the camera quality as well. That's multiple different people stating the same. Sounds like they might have gone cheap on those, which is unfortunate since many of the features of the vehicle are going to use those.

Outdoorsman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ram truck
Great pictures! So glad youā€™re happy with the new R1T. Love the color! I have a R1S reservation in limestone. Hoping itā€™s similar to the Launch green. If anyone has any pictures of an R1T in limestone, Iā€™m very eager to see it ā€˜in the wildā€™. Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
@Forager1 I'm not sure that there's anything "new" here, but looks like we got a short video clip panning across the underbody too.

It was hard for me to tell where you put the jack to lift it from the video. Anyone knows if you are suppose to remove a piece of plastic to do it?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Only new info R1S deliveries will probably start in summer or fall of 2022. Hope it wont delay beyond that.
That is a bummer. Their CS told me they will start in January and their website still says January. They need to get their stories straight.

Rivian R1T R1S Seattle Rivian First Mile Test Drive Event Impressions & Reviews - by Forum Members 1637199733160

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
It was hard for me to tell where you put the jack to lift it from the video. Anyone knows if you are suppose to remove a piece of plastic to do it?
My guess is the jack pad will fit in to these circles:
Rivian R1T R1S Seattle Rivian First Mile Test Drive Event Impressions & Reviews - by Forum Members 1637200443014

Sponsored

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
I wouldnā€™t put much stake in the driverā€™s knowledge about their delivery schedule. From the S1 they will have already started delivering R1Ss at the end of this year.

S1: By the end of 2021, we intend to produce approximately 1,200 R1Ts and 25 R1Ss and deliver approximately 1,000 R1Ts and 15 R1Ss.

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Yes. It is in the Motortrend piece on changing a tire on the R1T. "The primary jacking points under each corner of the 2022 Rivian R1T are marked with a hole into which you insert a jacking puck that securely locates the top of the jack and shortens the distance it must extend by about 2 inches."
Do you know what Tire Change mode does? Lock the wheels?

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
Do you know what Tire Change mode does? Lock the wheels?
Per Motor Trend: "After you've pulled the spare and tools from the trunk, before changing a tire on the Rivian R1T, first set the suspension to its max height, then activate Tire-Change mode from the Vehicle menu within the main Settings menu (gear emblem). This mode instructs the cross-linked hydraulic suspension from attempting any of its vehicle-leveling machinations during the jacking and tire-change procedures."
Sponsored