Sponsored

Seattle Rivian Event (photos, reactions). Blue R1T + more details revealed

raucous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, R1T preorder
  • There are 5! 4G LTE modems in the tail of the truck for sending telemetry/diagnostic data, but also for some "other stuff" ;).
  • There are 23 ECUs in the truck and they have barely touched what this vehicle can do with regard to infotainment etc...
  • There will be full Alexa integration in the truck. They have made wholesale changes to the vehicle code to accommodate Alexa completely.
Wow. You were busy! On these three points I hope that this all degrades gracefully in the absence of an LTE cell connection. Like, umm..., at my house or at many of the locations where I might take an EV adventure vehicle.

You'd think that this would go without saying but I have a counterexample sitting in my driveway. Sigh.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Did anyone happen to ask about a glove box? Doesn’t appear to be any. Maybe the center console/armrest is it. Hmmm.
There is no "glove box" in the dash. There is a pullout drawer under the console. Cup holders are pullout from the front upper edge of the console, although the rep couldn't pull it out to show me and said they are still working on it.
Looks like most of the questions I had on my list were answered here or they didn't/couldn't answer as yet.

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
There is no "glove box" in the dash. There is a pullout drawer under the console. Cup holders are pullout from the front upper edge of the console, although the rep couldn't pull it out to show me and said they are still working on it.
Looks like most of the questions I had on my list were answered here or they didn't/couldn't answer as yet.
Thanks!

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I really love the new wheels. Also, zoom in on the yellow line & you can see that "RIVIAN" is printed in it...neat little detail.
Rivian R1T R1S Seattle Rivian Event (photos, reactions). Blue R1T + more details revealed FB_IMG_1569629426020

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Couple of videos have shown up on YouTube for the Seattle event. Both show Rivian loading vehicles into trailers after the show. FUN!!

Sponsored

delmi

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Land Rover Discovery
Good to read all of the replies, especially Godfodder0901 who appeared to have a lot of inside info.
It sounds like a lot of new info will be breaking in the near future.

Alan Burns

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Terrain, 1967 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
I was impressed with the blue even though it was nonmetallic it was striking.

I asked about temporary registration to drive my R1T home from Normal, trading in a current rig and financing a new vehicle. I was told the new partner Cox would be handling all of that. They wanted it to be set up like an Amazon purchase, push one button and be done.

I talked with the gentleman I was referred to about driving the Rivian on snow pack and icy roads especially black ice which pops up unexpectedly. Northern tier drivers know to turn off cruise control in winter conditions to avoid spinning out and losing control. The gentleman who is designing the Rivian system says the problems with ICE vehicles is trying to measure torque and slip from the motor, transmission and differentials all at the same time and that is just too slow. The Rivian traction computer immediately measures wheel speed and torque on all 4 wheels to stop any wheel slip. He said the control of the wheel slip is so finely tuned it will continue the direction of travel the driver is steering without them even knowing corrections are being made.

I asked 3 people about the corporate culture Rivian is building from the ground up. All said it is wide open with sharing what is happening without all the common fifedoms rooted in corporate culture. The focus is on the product and not selfaggrandization. That goes from the ground floor all the way to the top position.

Two people involved in production assured me the Normal, Il factory has the capacity to produce 50,000 vans for Amazon each of the next two years as well as all the consumer orders with room to spare.

I was hoping to get a chance to meet lil orphan annie but it was way too crowded to make that happen. Perhaps during the test drive phase.

This was an informative event. I am glad I made the 900 mile round trip. Looking at the vehicle up close makes me comfortable with my decision to preorder my truck. The rear power assembly display was good to look at but I would have liked to have seen a skateboard with a nice graphic display of all components and their function.

cryogen97

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx9, Ford Edge
Clubs

The few other things I learned that I hadn't heard before:
  • the door handles are going to change. They are going to keep the flat look but they're concerned with them getting iced over and also easier to open one handed.
  • for kid's seats/booster seats in the R1S will have latch clips on the inner and outer seat in the 2nd row only. no latch clips in the 3rd row or the middle of the 2nd row.
  • They are still finalizing color names. The rep said that the colors they have shown off are currently the only ones they plan to have at launch. That seems like it could change pretty easily though. He told me the current name for the green but it was still confidential. I put a plug in for evergreen metallic, being in the Evergreen State and all.
  • They are working on finalizing wireless phone charging on the center console. They want to be able to have 2 phone charging capability. Rep said it's way harder to do than just slapping an anker charging pad in there. they also don't want it to be super fiddly to get the phone is just the right spot.