Seattle Rivian Event (photos, reactions). Blue R1T + more details revealed

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Rivian R1T R1S Seattle Rivian Event (photos, reactions). Blue R1T + more details revealed 20190927_200056
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And a good night shot of the ambient lighting behind the vents, in the driver door, and the "Rivian" in the door sill.
Rivian R1T R1S Seattle Rivian Event (photos, reactions). Blue R1T + more details revealed FB_IMG_1569643152911

delmi

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Land Rover Discovery
First impressions from Seattle.
BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL!!!
Huge tires and wheels - no run flats on this baby.
Changed my choice from R1S to R1T - better looking and more functional.
Good conversation with Mason, employee #23, regarding power transfer and driver controls. Extra long accelerator travel for better speed control.
Questions. Is F-N-R by knob or lever? Why paddle shifters?
Can't wait for test drive - when?

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Questions. Is F-N-R by knob or lever? Why paddle shifters?
Can't wait for test drive - when?
1) Lever behind right side of steering wheel.
2) Low speed motor control, mention of use for tank mode.
3) Some time next year, no specifics known.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
@skyote Thanks for posting the pics. Great shots of the interior in both day and low light settings.

I've previously wondered about glare on the displays especially the driver instrument display. Most vehicles have a hood or overhang over the instrument display to help reduce glare but the both Rivians do not. Not sure if the glare is due to the angle of the pics and/or the lighting but a few of those pics have some pretty extensive glare coming of them. If Rivian is not going to use a display hood you would think they would at least use a matte or anti-glare screen. Perhaps they did and it's not noticeable from the pics. I defer to those present if you picked up on this or not.

Definitely prefer Black Mountain over the Forrest Edge green color scheme.
Oh yea, me too. Typically I'm not a fan of black with wood but this seems to work. Again, not sure if it's the effect of the pictures but the black seems more of a dark muddy color. None the less, sharp.

1) Lever behind right side of steering wheel.
Hah, that hadn't occurred to me until now. All the vehicles I've owned since 1988 have had the F-N-R located coming up through the floor center console. Looks like I'll loose a hand rest. :)

raucous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, R1T preorder
I've previously wondered about glare on the displays especially the driver instrument display. Most vehicles have a hood or overhang over the instrument display to help reduce glare but the both Rivians do not. Not sure if the glare is due to the angle of the pics and/or the lighting but a few of those pics have some pretty extensive glare coming of them. If Rivian is not going to use a display hood you would think they would at least use a matte or anti-glare screen. Perhaps they did and it's not noticeable from the pics. I defer to those present if you picked up on this or not.
I noticed the glare as well. There were high intensity spots set up around all of the cars though and so I don't know how much of it was from that. I also hope we'll see good anti-glare glass there.

Speaking of reflections I wonder if one of the reasons we're seeing so many shades of blue in the posts here is because of reflections confusing camera white balance. The blue R1T has "fresh off the assembly line" gloss on it and it was hard to get a good look at the color given the light coming off of it. Here's another shot of it. To my eye the blue looked like what's seen around the gear tunnel and on the edge of the door in this picture but you can see lots of other shades here.

I should probably note that I regularly have differences of opinion on green vs. blue with my spouse (who was also attending) but we both liked this color.

Rivian R1T R1S Seattle Rivian Event (photos, reactions). Blue R1T + more details revealed rivian_blue_reflections

raucous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, R1T preorder
Here are a couple of other pictures from the Seattle event. The first is of RJ addressing the 4-6pm crowd. I think that a few people had already left by then (although we were strongly encouraged to stay until he'd spoken) and there were some people who couldn't be torn away from the vehicles but this was most of the attendees. He had a few words about their work with Amazon (nothing that hasn't been in the news), a promise that the mythical configurator would answer questions about dates and options that they weren't quite ready to discuss yet, a general "thanks for coming," and appreciation for the enthusiasm. There was plenty of that - both from the attendees and Rivian reps.

Rivian R1T R1S Seattle Rivian Event (photos, reactions). Blue R1T + more details revealed rj_speaks

And then here's a shot of the rear drive assembly which I appreciated both for what it can do and as industrial art.

Rivian R1T R1S Seattle Rivian Event (photos, reactions). Blue R1T + more details revealed rivian_rear_drive

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Here are a couple of other pictures from the Seattle event. The first is of RJ addressing the 4-6pm crowd. I think that a few people had already left by then (although we were strongly encouraged to stay until he'd spoken) and there were some people who couldn't be torn away from the vehicles but this was most of the attendees. He had a few words about their work with Amazon (nothing that hasn't been in the news), a promise that the mythical configurator would answer questions about dates and options that they weren't quite ready to discuss yet, a general "thanks for coming," and appreciation for the enthusiasm. There was plenty of that - both from the attendees and Rivian reps.

rj_speaks.jpg

And then here's a shot of the rear drive assembly which I appreciated both for what it can do and as industrial art.

rivian_rear_drive.jpg
Thanks for the summary - appreciated. And thank everyone for the great photos. I think the R1T gets better looking with each new appearance. Perhaps they’ll surprise us at San Francisco with a new color R1S?

Sponsored

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Did anyone happen to ask about a glove box? Doesn’t appear to be any. Maybe the center console/armrest is it. Hmmm.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I attended the event last night and I have acquired a few new tidbits that I hadn't seen or heard anywhere else. I spoke to three main individuals: RJ, Rai (a battery chemist), and employee #24 (I don't remember his name, but he is head of media). Here we go:

First, from Rai:
  • The battery and individual cells are not intended to be replaced/upgraded from OEM later in life. I was told this is for profit margin reasons. There may be a 3rd party/aftermarket avenue for this, however.
  • There is no plan for super capacitors. Rivian feel like their batteries can handle the influx of electrons from regen without the added cost of super capacitors.
  • The vehicle will be smart enough to pre-warm the battery before expected high output. This means that if your planned route has some step inclines, the battery will be warmed to provide the needed extra output for the ascent.
From employee #24:
  • The high end trims will have a VERY nice sound system from a major and well-known provider (he wouldn't tell me who). The highest trim will have 2 subs under the rear seats (only in the 105 and 135 kWh, the 180 will have them, but in the center somewhere...).
  • Many have speculated about the USB in the headrest due to safety issues. You are right, and the USB will be relocated to the center console.. :(
  • The seats have also been slightly re-designed. I am told they are more mature and MUCH better than the show vehicles.
  • Front and rear heat/cool seats are still in.
  • The show vehicles are all mid-level, both in terms of options and 135 kWh battery.
  • The screens WILL be anti-glare coated. In addition, the curvature of the rear glass was tuned in such a way as to prevent glare on the screens. Brightness is definitely sunlight-readable.
  • The ambient button in the HVAC settings that many have questions is indeed tied to ambient air temperature... Think of an air pass-through from the outside.
  • The tank mode CGI that leaked last month was indeed from a 3rd party they were working with. They released it without permission, and were subsequently let go. Rivian didn't want to release it because the quality of the animation was too low. They will release newer videos soon, and I am told we won't be able to tell it is CGI, but it is...
  • The configurator has been delayed to make sure it is awesome. It will include a full 3D and augmented reality that will let you explore your personal build in your driveway!!! They are VERY proud of the program.
  • There are 5! 4G LTE modems in the tail of the truck for sending telemetry/diagnostic data, but also for some "other stuff" ;).
  • There are 23 ECUs in the truck and they have barely touched what this vehicle can do with regard to infotainment etc...
  • There will be full Alexa integration in the truck. They have made wholesale changes to the vehicle code to accommodate Alexa completely.
  • The next pure Rivian vehicle is well underway (he was working on it the day before the show!) and will be much more "aggressively styled"...
From RJ: *disclaimer - RJ told me MUCH MORE information in confidence, so some of the below is not the whole story... just what he authorized me to say...
  • Yes, they read this forum. In fact, they use our mock ups and reaction to colors to help Guage the market!
  • That new blue color? It's called "RJ's Color" and it's the one he'll have.
  • There is MUCH more to the Amazon vehicle(s...) but I am not allowed to say ;)
  • We will learn a BUNCH of cool new things regarding charging pretty soon. The team in South America are doing some AWESOME new things!!!
  • The new Rivian/Ford vehicle will not be (as we know) the electric F-150. It will be a "substantial" vehicle from...... Lincoln...
Overall, the event was AWESOME! The team is still charging hard and no changes in timeline are expected.

If I think of more, I'll update.

Last edited:

snomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 XV Crosstrek
There is MUCH more to the Amazon vehicle(s...) but I am not allowed to say ;)
Wow, I'm SO CURIOUS! I also forgot to ask if those Amazon vans will ever make it to retail consumers. Electric #vanlife!

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow, I'm SO CURIOUS! I also forgot to ask if those Amazon vans will ever make it to retail consumers. Electric #vanlife!
They will not. Sorry! Bespoke and for Amazon only.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Great info @godfodder0901. Thanks for getting some on my questions answered.

- Bummed about the USBs in the back of the headrests, but completely understand the issues regarding safety.
- Interested about the "Ambient" air setting. I guess it is just a fancy way of saying, "I dont want to circulate the inside air."
- B&O, Bowers & Wilkins, Lexicon, and Burmester would be my short list if I had to guess. Bose, RF, and Sony are good, not great
- 5 4G LTE radios...Some might call that excessive, Rivian might call that a good start.
- When you say, "Full Alexa Integration", are you referring to the other details that I listed with that question? Lock/Unlock, Open/Close hood, tailgate, tonneau, Pre-condition interior temps, Seat temps, and adjust the tint on the electro-chromatic moonroof, etc. ???
- Definitely curious as the the new direction of the seats. I personally liked them. I know for some they had an issue with how the seat was broken up.
- That is also great news on the anti-glare coating on the different screens.
- Also great news on the Configurator. That will be sweet.

---My ONE huge complaint from ALL of these events---

Why is there no Rivian merchandise available at the event or online yet??? Yes, I love my Rivian water bottle and coffee cup from Miir(which i have never used), and I love the pins, and carabiner, but where are the Rivian shirts, hats, jackets, and beanies??? I have never owned a business, but I feel like this is marketing 101. Free advertising for Rivian with every shirt worn...I have a friend here on my deployment with me who is always asking about the latest Rivian news even though he will never even consider buy one and the first question is, "Have they setup an online store yet to sell Rivian merchandise?". To his disappointment every time I tell him, "Nope, not yet.", and he is shocked every time. Free marketing...Maybe I am missing something. Again, I have never owned a business. I am almost to the point of getting my own shirts made, but I want to give credit where credit is due and going around them still gets the word out but gives everyone but Rivian the money. My 2 cents...
Sponsored