Sponsored

Seat comfort ride and cabin noises in R1S ?

Shnork

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan rouge , Subaru Legacy
Occupation
pA
Looking for folks maybe to update there experiences with seat comfort ride and cabin noises in R1S
Sponsored

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S,Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430, Passat VR6
Clubs

I went for a test ride in a R1S on 12/3/2022. I had previously driven a R1T on full regen. The noise from the rear electric motors was too loud for me. I wish I had tried it in conserve mode. I drove the R1S on standard Regen as I got motion sickness when I test drove a Tesla. I drove the S as mellow as I could and was able to control it with a single pedal except at a surprise stop sign with no motion sickness. The S felt like there was a parking break on the entire time even on cruse control which was easy to use. I use glasses for reading, monitors and distance. I was able to use the screen with my distance glasses which is a huge plus. The seats were a little to hard but otherwise good. The cabin was as advertised. The use of the controls to adjust the steering column and mirrors was excellent. The interior mechanics were excellent. The use of the monitor was also excellent. I might be able to tolerate the motor noise with the stereo on but I did not test that. Because of the noise and the feeling that a parking break was on the entire time the test drive was disappointing.

Has anyone evaluated the rear engine noise in conserve mode?

OP
OP

Shnork

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan rouge , Subaru Legacy
Occupation
pA
hopefully ride and braking issues can be adjusted On a OTA

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I went for a test ride in a R1S on 12/3/2022. I had previously driven a R1T on full regen. The noise from the rear electric motors was too loud for me. I wish I had tried it in conserve mode. I drove the R1S on standard Regen as I got motion sickness when I test drove a Tesla. I drove the S as mellow as I could and was able to control it with a single pedal except at a surprise stop sign with no motion sickness. The S felt like there was a parking break on the entire time even on cruse control which was easy to use. I use glasses for reading, monitors and distance. I was able to use the screen with my distance glasses which is a huge plus. The seats were a little to hard but otherwise good. The cabin was as advertised. The use of the controls to adjust the steering column and mirrors was excellent. The interior mechanics were excellent. The use of the monitor was also excellent. I might be able to tolerate the motor noise with the stereo on but I did not test that. Because of the noise and the feeling that a parking break was on the entire time the test drive was disappointing.

Has anyone evaluated the rear engine noise in conserve mode?
It's funny how people perceive things so differently. I test drove an R1S on 11/26 and barely noticed any power train noise. Yes, I did notice some noise but actually rather liked it and it was not nearly as loud as reports here had lead me to believe it would be. Regen operated exactly as I expected (was also my first time driving an EV) but I also knew better than to expect it to coast so I was not disappointed by one pedal driving. My test drive was great and left me even more excited to take delivery.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
I have seen other reports that the R1S is very loud in the rear seats due to the air ride compressor and perhaps rear motor.

Sponsored

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S,Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430, Passat VR6
Clubs

I can see why some or even most people would enjoy or not mind the noise of the rear engine and also they would love the regen on standard or high. I have grown more sensitive to some noises and some types of motion over the years. I live in Southern California where most people speed up to a red light and drive too fast as I did on my many motorcycles and cars. Now I like to chill and glide up to a red light. I liked the idea that the Rivian is quicker than any of the muscle cars or bikes of my youth even if I now seldom accelerate quickly. I hope that I can adjust. Enjoy your ride.

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
Noise is subjective, but the sound of the electric motors is really very muted. It is mainly noticeable, to the extent that it is, when you are coming to a stop or accelerating. When at a constant speed I cannot hear any motor noise. I have an R1S built in August 2022

The air suspension noise seems to come if you leave the settings in "Auto" and the car adjusts its height in response to the environment. For other reasons, I leave it on Standard height. It is not a constant noise anyway but is limited to the transitions.

Overall, as with any electric car, one hears more noises because the car is quieter overall.

The one noise gremlin I am still working on is some wind noise from the front driver A pillar and quarter panel window, but this is a subject that has been beaten to death on this forum (and seems reparable).

Brian M

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Coming from a Tesla, there is more motor noise, but it's not very loud. The regen is definitely stronger than the Tesla, which I like. Just takes a little getting used to. More regen = more energy recaptured.

screamingkarts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S LE, Jeep Wrangler 4Xe
Clubs

Looks like some cars have bad drivetrain in front or back or both. I started noticing noise from the front at low speeds and they replaced the front drivetrain. Few hundred miles later there is noise coming from rear motor. It is very much noticeable since it wasn't there before. I noticed a different noise in the loaner R1T I had for a week. Some of the R1 users (met in meet ups) does not have any noise even after few thousand miles.

May be some of these test drive cars can have similar issues which makes the experiences different in different locations. Hopefully these issues are fixable, as I don't want to let go of the R1S :)

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

Coming from a Tesla, there is more motor noise, but it's not very loud. The regen is definitely stronger than the Tesla, which I like. Just takes a little getting used to. More regen = more energy recaptured.
Is there anything like the Tesla "Chill mode"? I use that a lot, especially when one of my kids who tends to get carsick is in the car. It is definitely more efficient, but when I want to smoke someone at a light I have to quickly switch to Sport or Insane mode.

Sponsored

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
How many of us drive in silence? Second road noise is louder because an ICE car has engine noise. EV’s don’t. Another factor, R1S audio system kicks ass. I love listening to music. One thing I do notice is the wind buffeting at 80-90 mph is loud. Lastly I love the aggressive regen. Takes a minute to get used to, but to me nothing beats one pedal driving. It’s a cool game to gauge how soon to let up and come to a stop. I rarely hit the brakes. Very cool.

skigramps

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2023 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired
Looking for folks maybe to update there experiences with seat comfort ride and cabin noises in R1S
Favorite part of my S are the seats. Very noticeable wind noise at very low speeds, kind of surprising. With the addition of music not so much.

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
Stepping back, big picture, after six weeks with this thing: this car is the absolute bomb.

I've owned the pricey Germans, various Japanese brands.

But after six weeks I still get out of my R1S, look back at the thing as I walk away, and think to myself, wow. This car is amazing.

So, there is a funny noise or two.

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Seat comfort is fine. It rides like a truck. Our Audi Q7 has a quieter ride on the road IMO.
Sponsored