Sponsored

stefprez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T PDM Max Pack w/ 20" Dark All-Terrain
Quick Review and Testing
I just got the Apex Designs USA RCV Rapid Connect Valves (no affiliation) and they are better than I was expecting! They are a screw on fast deflator for your tires to make airing down quick. They have a collar that can be slid outwards that has several holes all around to allow air to come out of the tire much faster than is possible going through a standard Schrader valve core. I did a test on my R1T from 48 PSI on the stock A/T tires with 20" dark off-road wheels. Airing down to 31 PSI takes ~22 seconds. It's easy to do two wheels at once. Remove the valve caps from both tires on one side of your vehicle, then slide the collar out and start your stop watch at the same time. While the first is deflating, walk over to the second and pop that one open at either the 5 or 10 second mark. Walk back to the firs tire and push the collar closed at about the 22 second mark (or whatever your testing works out to be for your target PSI), then walk back to the first tire and do the same at the 22+X second mark (X being either 5 or 10 seconds, whichever you decided to go with). In less than a minute, half of your tires are aired down. Rinse and repeat on the other side of the vehicle. Note these are not calibrated deflators, so they will continue to deflate until the deflation collar is closed. You can always get most of the way there and cut it off a bit early, and then use a gauge with a bleeder valve to dial in your target PSI more carefully.

Installation
To install these, you remove the valve stem core with the provided tool and screw the RCV onto the Schrader valve that is now hissing loads of air at you. Slightly tricky, but really not too bad, just a bit loud for a few seconds. Once it's screwed on, you can use the provided tool to snug the RCV down on the valve stem. Total installation for all four tires was about 5 minutes. It took longer to air the tires back up after installation than it did to install them in the first place.

Fitment
Note that these do stick out a little bit further than the stock valve stems given their design, but at least for the 20" dark off-road wheels, there's no contact or interference with the wheel, and they don't protrude enough to cause me concern. Also of note, the valve stem caps that come provided are designed to keep the deflation collar in place securely so they can't accidentally be bumped open.

Other Products
I was initially considering purchasing the RPV Rapid Precision Valves since they are faster, but they require the entire valve stem to be replaced. Honestly, with how fast the RCV Rapid Connect Valve's are, I don't see any reason to get the RPV, at least for stock tire sizes on a Rivian.

Any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer!

Rivian R1T R1S Screw On Fast Deflator (For Airing Down) Review - Apex Designs RCV Rapid Connect Valve PXL_20240609_002813558-EDIT
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

Last edited:

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Love Apex Designs products but the fact that these stick out so much on the OEM 20"s has kept me from purchasing them. Also, this means someone can walk by and deflate your tires right?

I've been happy with my Staun Deflators for years now although they take a bit more time to deflate the tires than with these valves.

Rivian R1T R1S Screw On Fast Deflator (For Airing Down) Review - Apex Designs RCV Rapid Connect Valve 2B5601AF-C4F3-440D-B56C-18C15EC1223E

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Quick Review and Testing
I just got the Apex Designs USA RCV Rapid Connect Valves (no affiliation) and they are better than I was expecting! They are a screw on fast deflator for your tires to make airing down quick. They have a collar that can be slid outwards that has several holes all around to allow air to come out of the tire much faster than is possible going through a standard Schrader valve core. I did a test on my R1T from 48 PSI on the stock A/T tires with 20" dark off-road wheels. Airing down to 31 PSI takes ~22 seconds. It's easy to do two wheels at once. Remove the valve caps from both tires on one side of your vehicle, then slide the collar out and start your stop watch at the same time. While the first is deflating, walk over to the second and pop that one open at either the 5 or 10 second mark. Walk back to the firs tire and push the collar closed at about the 22 second mark (or whatever your testing works out to be for your target PSI), then walk back to the first tire and do the same at the 22+X second mark (X being either 5 or 10 seconds, whichever you decided to go with). In less than a minute, half of your tires are aired down. Rinse and repeat on the other side of the vehicle. Note these are not calibrated deflators, so they will continue to deflate until the deflation collar is closed. You can always get most of the way there and cut it off a bit early, and then use a gauge with a bleeder valve to dial in your target PSI more carefully.

Installation
To install these, you remove the valve stem core with the provided tool and screw the RCV onto the Schrader valve that is now hissing loads of air at you. Slightly tricky, but really not too bad, just a bit loud for a few seconds. Once it's screwed on, you can use the provided tool to snug the RCV down on the valve stem. Total installation for all four tires was about 5 minutes. It took longer to air the tires back up after installation than it did to install them in the first place.

Fitment
Note that these do stick out a little bit further than the stock valve stems given their design, but at least for the 20" dark off-road wheels, there's no contact or interference with the wheel, and they don't protrude enough to cause me concern. Also of note, the valve stem caps that come provided are designed to keep the deflation collar in place securely so they can't accidentally be bumped open.

Other Products
I was initially considering purchasing the RPV Rapid Precision Valves since they are faster, but they require the entire valve stem to be replaced. Honestly, with how fast the RCV Rapid Connect Valve's are, I don't see any reason to get the RPV, at least for stock tire sizes on a Rivian.

Any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer!

PXL_20240609_002813558-EDIT.jpg
I snapped off the valve stem on one of my 20” wheels with an aftermarket metal valve cap that stuck out just a bit more than the stock plastic cap when I hit a rock off-roading. Not likely to happen but it happened to me and was a huge PIA that could have been avoided if I didn’t put something on my valve stem that extended it past the wheel. These stick out so far, I’d be nervous using them in an off-road situation. I use those adjustable brass rapid deflators and they work pretty well. I haven’t timed them but they don’t feel slow.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I snapped off the valve stem on one of my 20” wheels with an aftermarket metal valve cap that stuck out just a bit more than the stock plastic cap when I hit a rock off-roading. Not likely to happen but it happened to me and was a huge PIA that could have been avoided if I didn’t put something on my valve stem that extended it past the wheel. These stick out so far, I’d be nervous using them in an off-road situation. I use those adjustable brass rapid deflators and they work pretty well. I haven’t timed them but they don’t feel slow.
Thanks for affirming my paranoia, lol. Those hard valve stems are nice to inflate and deflate, but I have the same fears for off-road. I have been known to lean a wheel against a rock one or maybe 100 times.

Sponsored

OP
OP

stefprez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
While it does add a little bit of length, it's probably not as much as my first picture makes it seem. Here's my best attempt at showing the amount of protrusion for you all. It's quite minimal, but totally understand wanting to play it safe on that front. I do carry a Colby Emergency Valve in my tire patch kit just in case, and if this deflator got damaged but the underlying valve stem was okay, you can put the valve core back in pretty easily and go back to stock without much hassle.

I've tried the calibrated screw on deflators before, but they were too inconsistent for me in terms of stopping at my desired target pressure.

Rivian R1T R1S Screw On Fast Deflator (For Airing Down) Review - Apex Designs RCV Rapid Connect Valve PXL_20240609_225625544

Rivian R1T R1S Screw On Fast Deflator (For Airing Down) Review - Apex Designs RCV Rapid Connect Valve PXL_20240609_225700047

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

My little metal valve covers didn't stick out that much but still caused a problem. I had not heard of those Colby Valves before. That's a great solution! I'd be a lot less worried if I had one of those as a backup. Then again, if I had those gloss black wheels, I wouldn't be going near rocks in the first place. 😁

OP
OP

stefprez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Then again, if I had those gloss black wheels, I wouldn't be going near rocks in the first place. 😁
Yeah... As great as they look, they're doomed. 😂 I didn't get this truck to cruise pavement alone, and I know these rocks are going to have their way with the wheels given enough time. Ah well!

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Love Apex Designs products but the fact that these stick out so much on the OEM 20"s has kept me from purchasing them. Also, this means someone can walk by and deflate your tires right?

I've been happy with my Staun Deflators for years now although they take a bit more time to deflate the tires than with these valves.

2B5601AF-C4F3-440D-B56C-18C15EC1223E.jpg
How do you like the hose reel? I love the in bed compressor, but hate having to stuff the hose back in its box.

OP
OP

stefprez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also, this means someone can walk by and deflate your tires right?
Yes, but you'd have to A) Recognize these and B) Know how to use them and C) Not be within earshot of anyone else because they let air out fast and it's pretty loud.

I think if someone really wanted to deflate your tires, they're far more likely to either slash them or cut the valve stem with a side cutter. Technically they could remove the valve core or just depress the valve core button on any normal Schrader valve too. In short, it's not something I'm worried about!

Sponsored

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
How do you like the hose reel? I love the in bed compressor, but hate having to stuff the hose back in its box.
Huge fan. I've used it so many times to air up after the trails, dealing with the changes in weather/temp, reinflating a tire every 15mins to get to my destination last 1hr of a roadtrip ( :CWL: ), airing up other vehicles, etc. Quality product.

not_a_car_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Perf Dual Motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Random thought. I have a set of the EV Sportsline R800 wheels and you need extra long valve caps because the stems are set super deep into the wheel. I wonder if that would be nice to pair with this product?

OP
OP

stefprez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Random thought. I have a set of the EV Sportsline R800 wheels and you need extra long valve caps because the stems are set super deep into the wheel. I wonder if that would be nice to pair with this product?
These do also add a bit of girth to the valve stem, so as long at there was enough clearance on the wheel, it likely would help for that case. You can also look at the RPV Rapid Precision Valves. They have two different lengths depending on how your specific wheels measure.

Nachyomama

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thinking the same thing. Huge pita to air down or up. I have some cheap extenders I use but still annoying
Sponsored