First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
I really loved my VW Atlas. If they made an electric Atlas I'd buy it. Can't wait for my R1S, but if this had similar size and range stats to the R1S and were available now, it would be a contender.

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
To be fair no one I know who bought a TDI (myself included) did it out of a desire to clean up the skies or any other environment driven motivation. It was all about the 50+ mpg fuel economy and nothing more.
I never did own a TDI, probably would have gotten one in 2015 if it wasn't for the TDI scandal but I 'm with you. As a car person I was really into VW's diesel magic but that was a distant reason. I'd also add the reliability of the power train itself was heavily weighted into most peoples decisions. You could take those things 300k miles and not have to worry if that's what you needed to do.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
@Bee, that is quite the rant. Sounds like you got a bit of sand in the VAG?

We’ve had 5 Audis, two Pcars, and a first gen VW Touareg. All were tremendous performers and bulletproof winter rigs. No doubt, supermodels are high maintenance for sure.

Me thinks the Germans will only add to Scouts’ heritage. Meanwhile, VW has become a dominant SUV manufacturer and intends to do the same with EV’s.

• Haha
Reactions: Bee

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
VW has certainly made mistakes over the years (just like all automakers have), but they still have more hits than misses. Most Audis and Porsches are tremendous, and even the Golf GT or R are an absolute blast to drive. Their resurrection of the Bug was a huge hit, and the van (bus) will probably be popular too. We don’t get them in the US but their pick ups have been used around the world for years and generally have a god reputation. Unless they totally botch the design or build on these I think they should be very popular.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The Scout name is (very) appealing. These early teasers don't matter – it will resemble the old Scout. What matters is the efficiency (charging and range) and the feature set – that's where Rivian is vulnerable.

If someone like VW/Scout takes the (success of the) Rivian "formula" and fills in the blanks, say less expensively appointed, priced at $50K for a dual motor, long range with 800 volt pack, winch, onboard power, mid-gate …

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Get rid of the Tesla/Rivian idea of a rolling cell phone on wheels and I'm in. Large manual controls for HVAC, radio, etc, manual seats, no glass roof, easy-to-clean/rinse interior and a simple suspension would be nice. I see a lot wanting a removable top/convertible option like the originals, but I want a solid cage around me personally.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Get rid of the Tesla/Rivian idea of a rolling cell phone on wheels and I'm in. Large manual controls for HVAC, radio, etc, manual seats, no glass roof, easy-to-clean/rinse interior and a simple suspension would be nice. I see a lot wanting a removable top/convertible option like the originals, but I want a solid cage around me personally.

I believe GM tried this with the HummEV to some extent.
I could well see a Bronco EV or Scout EV fitting the kind of "hose out" description.
Having both "analog" and digital vehicles, I would much rather the analog vehicle.
The thing I loathe about Teslas and don't trust about Rivians is that the software decides whether or not the vehicle will "start" or move and I have little or no say in it.
I paid for it, but I don't own it.
The software developer owns the vehicle.
I'm just the user.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I see a whole industry growing out of what you're describing. I expect to be able to order an "OTA delete" kit off the Internet and spend a busy weekend removing all the bullshit software from a Tesla/Rivian and installing a panel of analog controllers.

For the ADAS menu items, cruise control, adaptive cruise, lane-keep, third party products (e.g. Mobileye, Cruise, Waymo, numerous others overseas) will plug in to the existing hardware.

I think we're going to have to see a family drowned or frozen to death or burned alive in a wildfire or crushed at a level crossing by a train because their Rivian said it shouldn't move because the tunnel door isn't latched or an error said the frunk isn't shut or the battery was below 5% and the software developers decided it would be bad for the battery or expensive for warranty.

The regulators will require a "just go" button to override all "safety" software.

Manufacturers like Tesla will try to build "self-brick" defenses against the vehicle running without its tentacles and data gathering, but that will just be a matter of cutting the OTA umbilical and then you own what you bought. As vehicles fall out of warranty or get damaged and written off, the aftermarket will "jailbreak" the hardware.

If you want Autopilot or FSD, you buy it from a third party. I'd be fine with an aftermarket equivalent of Ford BlueCruise … same design as Driver+, but it works well.

Not that any of this is going to be cheap. But at least it would be owned by the owner and it would start and move no matter what the corporations would prefer for their profitability.

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
@Bee, that is quite the rant. Sounds like you got a bit of sand in the VAG?

We’ve had 5 Audis, two Pcars, and a first gen VW Touareg. All were tremendous performers and bulletproof winter rigs. No doubt, supermodels are high maintenance for sure.

Me thinks the Germans will only add to Scouts’ heritage. Meanwhile, VW has become a dominant SUV manufacturer and intends to do the same with EV’s.
There's definitely sand in my VAG. The infotainment situation is completely unworkable to me and I'm genuinely upset by it on some level lol. I have 2 EVs and neither are VAG and that's insane to me. It's like we're going through a separation and I'm about to file divorce papers for real. It's a rough time in my life.

Sponsored

pathfinder2

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 4runner, KS S18
Occupation
Software Design Engineer
I learned to drive in an International Scout II. I have always wanted that vehicle back. Lots of amazing memories.

Electric Rivilution

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
I can see the Scout EV doing well if it's offered with a removable top and/or doors. That would place it in direct competition with the upcoming Jeep Recon EV.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
All these cars are shifting towards subscription based in the USA given our deeply rooted consumer environment. Volvo has implemented it. Tesla has to some degree with FSD and premium connectivity. There will be a day where you subscribe to ownership and never fully own a vehicle. This will only work in US/possible EU models but 3rd world will never adopt this. The benefit is the warranty and long term reliability are no longer an issue but there will always be an expense. Just like your cell phone. I’ve paid 10’s of 1,000’s of dollars on cell phone coverage for the past 20 years. The device I “own” is still controlled by Apple and begins to fail/obsolete by 5-6y mark if not replaced earlier. The subscription model there is the “loan” on phones or the trade in models such as Apple has rolled out recently whew you can upgrade each year just paying the monthly fee.

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Edit for context, merged thread:

Is anyone here going to King of the Hammers in a few weeks? I’ll be there with a friend. Thinking of brining my R1T to haul the dirt bikes. I wouldn’t mind collaborating on charging stops, gear list, etc. And meeting up would be fun. We’re going Wed & Thursday, leaving mid day Friday before the real ruckus begins.

Last edited:

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations