Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

The simplest way to get rivian to recalculate for the 21" is to find a friendly local rivian owner with the 21". Swap wheels and take it in to the service center for recalibration.

There are differences between the 20" AS and the 21" AS. Things like wheel weight and aerodynamics. I'm not sure how much they play into any calculations done by the onboard electronics.
genius
Sponsored

jb0063

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just registered and wanted to report in what I'm looking to do. I just took delivery on 2/4 and really enjoy the truck. I'm actually looking at the Nokian Tyres One HT all season tire. It has a higher load rating than the stock ATs and is the same exact size. Discount Tire is going to call me back on availability, but I'm going to seriously consider these for some more comfort and range.
Unless I'm a ding dong and reading the spec incorrectly, looking at the Nokian One HT specs, it doesn't seem like the load rating/load index is high enough for a vehicle with GVW of 8,500 lb and a curb weight of 7,150 lb (R1T). Isn't the load index based on the maximum pressure allowed ie 80 psi?

https://nokiantyres.studio.crasman....rochures/NT_One_HT_Info_Sheet_August_2022.pdf

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

According to a Munro battery breakdown, it’s actually 141.1 kWh capacity and 135 kWh usable - and the 2022.02.03 OTA reportedly increased the usable by a small unspecified amount.

https://www.batterydesign.net/rivian-r1t/

1677253629019.jpeg
Does anyone know how much the Lean Design tear down info is? I'm super extremely interested in the information it contains, but wouldn't spend more than a couple hundred bucks to satisfy that curiosity.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

According to a Munro battery breakdown, it’s actually 141.1 kWh capacity and 135 kWh usable - and the 2022.02.03 OTA reportedly increased the usable by a small unspecified amount.

https://www.batterydesign.net/rivian-r1t/

1677253629019.jpeg
Also, I'm curious the difference in total energy vs usable. We know the usable seems to be around 125ishkWh, which seems to have been increased to 126 on the recent update along with better efficiency to increase range. I wonder if the 141.1kWh is more of a numbers game where each cell is capable of "x" and multiplied by 7776 is "y" and they are just keeping to the 135kWh to allow for variations in cell manufacturing error etc. IF Rivian does indeed have that additional capacity available... Oh man! Bring on the OTA range increases!

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

There's another downside to the height mismatch, which is that the stitched-together camera views will be off, maybe just by a little bit. The car knows what heights it expects to be at, and that changes some angles, which in turn change how it presents the unified view.

Maybe not a big deal in terms of safety or functionality, but I feel like it would bother me a good bit.

Sponsored

clayton006

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2022 Model S Plaid, 2021 Model Y Perform
Occupation
IT Engineer
Unless I'm a ding dong and reading the spec incorrectly, looking at the Nokian One HT specs, it doesn't seem like the load rating/load index is high enough for a vehicle with GVW of 8,500 lb and a curb weight of 7,150 lb (R1T). Isn't the load index based on the maximum pressure allowed ie 80 psi?

https://nokiantyres.studio.crasman....rochures/NT_One_HT_Info_Sheet_August_2022.pdf
Discount tire quotes it as being within spec. They are very strict about this. There are a lot of tires that just barely were out of spec for my Model S Plaid that they would not install. The tires would exceed the axle weight rating of the car but we’re not at or above the listed spec and therefore they wouldn’t mount them.

clayton006

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2022 Model S Plaid, 2021 Model Y Perform
Occupation
IT Engineer
Discount tire quotes it as being within spec. They are very strict about this. There are a lot of tires that just barely were out of spec for my Model S Plaid that they would not install. The tires would exceed the axle weight rating of the car but we’re not at or above the listed spec and therefore they wouldn’t mount them.
Also the tires I’m getting are 126/123s so that should be more than enough.

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
It's not on Rivian to recalibrate for every possible tire that could fit on their wheels. Every tire is going to deliver a different rolling resistance and will react differently to various driving scenarios. Manufacturers certify specific tires for their vehicles because they have tested the cars extensively on those tires and know that the performance, durability and efficiency meets advertised standards. They don't have the resources to do that with every tire you can fit on their cars.

Anybody who has ever added larger tires on an Off-road truck or switched from AS to MT has learned that their speedo is no longer accurate and either has a 3rd party recalibrate it or just lives with the mental calibration.

New EV owners are overly obsessed with range estimates compared to ICE vehicle owners. That's fine, but ICE owners don't expect their car company to recalibrate the speedo and update the stated range on their SUV or truck when they switch from stock Dunlop All Season tires to BFG KO2s.

Once you go to a non OEM option, it's up to you to deal with the consequences whether they be beneficial or detrimental to your ownership experience.
im not sure why you think they would have to calculate to every tire from every manufacturer...I think most people would just like to have the speedo correct. I have always changed tires frequently from different manufacturers to different sizes altogether but when I went to different sizes I just wanted my speedo to match so my odometer is accurate.

even if rivian wont calibrate it at least give the option for either 3rd party to do it or let us do it through software which im sure they will eventually.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
im not sure why you think they would have to calculate to every tire from every manufacturer...I think most people would just like to have the speedo correct. I have always changed tires frequently from different manufacturers to different sizes altogether but when I went to different sizes I just wanted my speedo to match so my odometer is accurate.

even if rivian wont calibrate it at least give the option for either 3rd party to do it or let us do it through software which im sure they will eventually.
OP was asking about having Rivian do it for him, which they won’t. Just like most all other manufacturers. It’s something a 3rd party shop will do.

Also it’s not beneficial for ANY manufacturer to give the customer access to changing the speedometer or obviously the Odometer. So modern cars make it even harder.

But anyone who puts non OEM spec tires on their car can buy a tool to do it on their own or take it to a 4 Wheel shop that will have the tools. Someone will hack the Rivian to be able to do it also at some point.

That’s why these exist:

https://overlandexpeditionoutfitter...er-calibrator-730135-2010-2018-toyota-4runner

https://www.roughcountry.com/speedometer-calibrator-90019.html

Sponsored

OP
OP

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
I am seeing an average of 2.4 mi/kmWh with the new AS tires, compared to 1.97 with the ATs in the same conditions (hand-to-hand combat commuting in and out of DC from suburban Maryland).

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I am seeing an average of 2.4 mi/kmWh with the new AS tires, compared to 1.97 with the ATs in the same conditions (hand-to-hand combat commuting in and out of DC from suburban Maryland).

Not bad I get about 2.2 with my 22s so that makes sense.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
I don't envy your commute, but great to hear about the efficiency benefit.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

That is spectacular.
Sponsored