Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
It's not on Rivian to recalibrate for every possible tire that could fit on their wheels.
It absolutely is on them to provide me an option to maintain an accurate speedometer/odometer regardless of what tire I want to put on the thing. This is a solved problem by every other manufacturer. It's hubris to say "but no, you have to use *our* special tires."

I don't care if Rivian wants to do the job or not, I'll do it if you let me.
Sponsored

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

It absolutely is on them to provide me an option to maintain an accurate speedometer/odometer regardless of what tire I want to put on the thing. This is a solved problem by every other manufacturer. It's hubris to say "but no, you have to use *our* special tires."

I don't care if Rivian wants to do the job or not, I'll do it if you let me.
I would like to see the citation that supports this position. I'd also like to see the source where Rivian says "but no, you have to use *our* tires" (your quotes).

I certainly inderstand your desire to have the means whereby the consumer can make changes, but I'd need to see the specific language to agree with your contention that this is a legal mandate.

OP
OP

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
FWIW, I have an upcoming appointment at the service center and Rivian has indicated that they will calibrate my speedometer to the new Scorpion AS tire size. We will see what happens but it seems possible they are willing to do the speedo adjustment.

SEARivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - El Cap Granite, 20"AT Black
FWIW, I have an upcoming appointment at the service center and Rivian has indicated that they will calibrate my speedometer to the new Scorpion AS tire size. We will see what happens but it seems possible they are willing to do the speedo adjustment.
That's great to hear! I hope they follow through. Would be great to get some real world experience on these tires with the correct software setup to see just how much better they are than the OEM tires.

OP
OP

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
I am not sure how much more information will really flow from the calibration. It is easy to adjust for the tire size difference (just deduct 3% from the distance/speed). The energy use is what it is.

The "range estimate" on start-up seems largely disconnected from reality. My estimated range in Conserve is still coming up at 313 with the new AS tires, even though I reset everything once when I replaced the ATs and simple math shows that the efficiency is much higher.

Sponsored

waitingforrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I am not sure how much more information will really flow from the calibration. It is easy to adjust for the tire size difference (just deduct 3% from the distance/speed). The energy use is what it is.

The "range estimate" on start-up seems largely disconnected from reality. My estimated range in Conserve is still coming up at 313 with the new AS tires, even though I reset everything once when I replaced the ATs and simple math shows that the efficiency is much higher.
The SC advisor told me they could only change between the OEM wheel/tire configs. In case of 275/60/20 size, the closest is 21" OEM config, once they performed the changes, all images and calculations will be based on 21".

Please keep us posted. I'm very interested in the same setup when my 20" ATs are to be replaced.

OP
OP

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
Will do. Unfortunately the earliest I could get an appt is May!

I agree re: the tires. The diameter of the 21s and the 20 AS is almost identical. It does look like switching to the 20 AS is basically giving performance equivalent to the 21s.

Fozzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Which service center do you use? Brooklyn indicated they would not support that configuration currently when I asked.

Opa

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Tacoma
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Will do. Unfortunately the earliest I could get an appt is May!

I agree re: the tires. The diameter of the 21s and the 20 AS is almost identical. It does look like switching to the 20 AS is basically giving performance equivalent to the 21s.
Any updates or regrets now that you have been rolling on those tires for a few months?? Would you do it again?

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
I am really glad I made the switch. The improvement in ride quality and noise is very significant, and the handling is much sharper. The car tracks so well on the highway that I sometimes have to double check to make sure I have not turned on Driver +.

The efficiency improvements have also been persistent. My average overall efficiency is running around 2.4 m/kw in All Purpose in mixed city/hwy and on the highway-only at 65 mph (with the AC off and in Conserve mode) I have been getting 2.65/2.7.

I don't understand why these are not a standard tire option. There is a very slight maximum weight difference between these and the ATs that is irrelevant for me given that I don't tow and use the car for basic suburban life. I am going to the service center in a few weeks to get the system recalibrate to the new tire size. I'll report back how that goes.

Yeti370

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
I tried to order these from Discount tire but was told that they can't install them because of the load rating. Has anyone experienced this as well? Im thinking I will have to order from TireRack and have a local shop mount them.

OP
OP

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
I ordered from Walmart and had my local mechanic install.

The load rating difference between the ATs and the AS is trivial.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

are these the same tires that come with the 21" wheels from Rivian?

OP
OP

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
Not the same; maybe similar tread. But the sidewall is larger.
Sponsored