Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

It drains the power pretty quick but a lot of fun. I got into more soft sand than I was planning and on my 21” all seasons WITHOUT airing down mostly just floated over the top mostly small dunes next to the ocean. I also did a little drifting. If I were to go over larger dunes in a larger area I would definitely air down.

SOC went from 65% to 31% in about 12 miles playing for about an hour.

you can see the smoke in the air from the fires about 100 miles away.
Rivian R1T R1S Sand Mode is Awesome B9D24B45-3080-4E70-A15C-39E1C9B0A88A

Rivian R1T R1S Sand Mode is Awesome D0E273A6-B33E-486B-852E-A8DDA1B8E403
Sponsored

JeffADK

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Convertible, Tractor, UTV
Occupation
All the time
Clubs

Looks great! Which rack system are you using over the bed? Can you post photos of how it attaches to the bed? Thanks!

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I have a similar RTT need. Would love some details on the rack and, specifically, how it is attached to the bed rails! Thanks
———————————
Jake - just realized you had previously posted about your rack setup. Are you still using the the “J” bolts to attached to the Rivian portals. That attachment concerns me, especially if the truck is used off road. How is the rack holding up to the weight of your RTT? It looks like you also have the RTT attached to one of the Rivian crossbars. This seems like a good move.

Last edited:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

It drains the power pretty quick but a lot of fun. I got into more soft sand than I was planning and on my 21” all seasons WITHOUT airing down mostly just floated over the top mostly small dunes next to the ocean. I also did a little drifting. If I were to go over larger dunes in a larger area I would definitely air down.

SOC went from 65% to 31% in about 12 miles playing for about an hour.

you can see the smoke in the air from the fires about 100 miles away.
B9D24B45-3080-4E70-A15C-39E1C9B0A88A.jpeg

D0E273A6-B33E-486B-852E-A8DDA1B8E403.jpeg
When you put the vehicle in sand mode, does the range on the dte reflect it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
W1SE

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

I have a similar RTT need. Would love some details on the rack and, specifically, how it is attached to the bed rails! Thanks
———————————
Jake - just realized you had previously posted about your rack setup. Are you still using the the “J” bolts to attached to the Rivian portals. That attachment concerns me, especially if the truck is used off road. How is the rack holding up to the weight of your RTT? It looks like you also have the RTT attached to one of the Rivian crossbars. This seems like a good move.
J bolts work great. Not a single worry. Have taken on freeway at 80 with tent on top (doesn’t feel like any degrading of range) same as without in my experiences. Tent only rests on front the connection part in tent doesn’t go that far forward.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
J bolts work great. Not a single worry. Have taken on freeway at 80 with tent on top (doesn’t feel like any degrading of range) same as without in my experiences. Tent only rests on front the connection part in tent doesn’t go that far forward.
Great info! Good job! Thanks. I have a 78” long hard shell tent. Like yours, the mounting points would not span from the rear rack mount all the way to any roof crossbar. Anyway, it’s encouraging to know there may be solutions for this scenario. Still a little concerned about that J hook connection. I’ll look forward to any updates on your RTT and rack 👍

OP
OP
W1SE

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

When you put the vehicle in sand mode, does the range on the dte reflect it?
No, this is why percentages make so much more since in an EV. I joke with friends that the truck is more like a smart phone than a Ford. 😂

Sponsored

RtOnelove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1, Ford bronco
Looks like a blast.

If you're not familiar with sand, be careful with the drifting. Roll overs happen that way. If you're experienced in sand already, disregard.

ScottyGuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Y, Porsche 911 (997 Cab)
Occupation
Lawyer
I had the worst experience in sand mode - - I got stuck pretty deep, on Long Island. It took a lot of digging and pulling and about 45 minutes to get pulled out by a Jeep. I felt like the truck was under powered in sand mode. I needed to pick up speed so as not to sink and the vehicle limited my speed. Has anyone else experienced this?

I did not air down before I got stuck - I did air down afterwards and only saw marginal improvement.

SIDE NOTE - Compressor is awesome for refilling afterwards,

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I had the worst experience in sand mode - - I got stuck pretty deep, on Long Island. It took a lot of digging and pulling and about 45 minutes to get pulled out by a Jeep. I felt like the truck was under powered in sand mode. I needed to pick up speed so as not to sink and the vehicle limited my speed. Has anyone else experienced this?

I did not air down before I got stuck - I did air down afterwards and only saw marginal improvement.

SIDE NOTE - Compressor is awesome for refilling afterwards,
I haven't used sand mode yet but I know the trick to not getting stuck is more throttle.
Sponsored