Sponsored

San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos]

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I agree with you the white is striking. I have not seen the green in person. This R1S is great In White.
I love white & most of my vehicles are white (3 white, 2 silver). Not sure if I might want to venture out though, so I'm excited to find out what the other colors will be.

Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] 20190524_201336(1)~2
Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
For folks who are gonna be there tomorrow, plz see if you can get any information on the driver assistance features that are gonna be available at launch. Thanks.
Adaptive cruise control for sure. Rivian will also know about merging traffic like on a on-ramp to a freeway. Tesla’s doEs not recognize cars merging due to limited cameras. The Rivian’s have more.

I will confirm as I got that from RJ last year at Overland West.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Adaptive cruise control for sure. Rivian will also know about merging traffic like on a on-ramp to a freeway. Tesla’s doEs not recognize cars merging due to limited cameras. The Rivian’s have more.

I will confirm as I got that from RJ last year at Overland West.
Thanks @Lmirafuente. Glad ACC comes and the enhanced view of cars around. The lane keep (autosteer) of Tesla on freeways is good and would love to see Rivian go toe to toe here at launch.

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I attended the Mill Valley event yesterday afternoon. Got there around 4pm and the parking a crowds were not that bad. The outsourced valet service was a bit of a mess, but the event was great. This was the first time for my wife and I to see the cars in person. After seeing them, I am more excited than before and will keep my R1T preorder. I talked to a number of folks from Rivian. One being a gentleman that works on the autonomous driving. He said L2 autonomous driving will be released at launch and L3 would come shortly after launch. He made it sound like they are testing now. He described being able to "set it and forget it" on the drive home from Tahoe. He also mentioned another feature called Jurassic Park mode. This feature would in Rivian mapping offroad trails, so that when you engaged the feature the L3 driving would take you through the trail. He did say they were looking to add additional sensors above the door on the "C" pillar to aid in the L3 driving capabilities.

Not much new on the charging front. Got a bunch of responses... "we are working on that" from a lot of the Rivian team. Most of them said be patient until around September as they will have more news available. I did get a chance to lean into and touch a few things in the driver compartment. All materials felt good (not leather good, but acceptable). Seats are soft and I'm guessing going to be comfortable, but I did not sit in the truck. Center console opened easily and the cup holder pop out from the front on the center console. I asked about the vehicle configurator and when it would be released and was told a few months prior to production. They did say that they will be offering a full list of options (RTT, camp kitchen, racks, etc.), so you'll be able to build the complete adventure vehicle.

My sport is rock crawling. I have a purpose built rig that I run through the Rubicon Trail, Fordyce, The Hammers and other local trails. The Rivian wouldn't be an option for that type of offroading, but it certainly appears to be something that I would use for easy to mild offroading. Overall I am looking forward to Rivian's continued success and to the day I get to pickup my R1T.

Here are a few pics....

Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] IMG_20200125_155834_MP
Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] IMG_20200125_160538_MP
Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] IMG_20200125_160611_MP
Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] IMG_20200125_160746
Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] IMG_20200125_160816_MP
Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] IMG_20200125_160828
Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] IMG_20200125_160831
Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] IMG_20200125_160836_MP
Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] IMG_20200125_160906_MP
Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] IMG_20200125_161700_MP
Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] IMG_20200125_162441
Rivian R1T R1S San Francisco Rivian Event [Updated with impressions, info, photos] IMG_20200125_162443_MP

Sponsored

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

I was at the event in SF Jan 25th and I asked about the roof glass on the truck. I think I found out some information I’ve not read anywhere else yet. First, the full glass ”skylight” will be one of 3 options available. Standard will have no roof glass or sunroof, just a full metal roof. Then I believe I was told there will be an opening sunroof option.. but no other details about that. Then the full customizable (not opening) glass roof with capability to change the opacity and color. And then I was told there would be a “T-top” option. when I heard that last one, I asked again to confirm that she meant a removable roof top of some kind, and she said, “ Yes, they are working on a T-Top option for the roof”.

I'm not entirely sure how a t-top would work on a crew cab, but I’m intrigued. As a side note, I also got the impression that Apple CarPlay will NOT natively work with Rivian infotainment systems. That is disappointing to hear, but I suspect they will have a way for content to be played from an Apple device regardless.

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Also, when asking about the water tight compartments, I was told that the truck bed itself when the tailgate is up and cover closed is a water tight compartment. Obviously driving through deep enough water so that the bed is submerged completely is not likely, it is intriguing. I suspect they just mean water tight from heavy rains or leakage coming in through the seams of the tailgate or through underneath areas.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
He said L2 autonomous driving will be released at launch and L3 would come shortly after launch. He made it sound like they are testing now. He described being able to "set it and forget it" on the drive home from Tahoe
Thanks @sbechtold for the write-up and the pictures. Based on job openings published on their website, they will keep these updated via OTA.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I was at the event in SF Jan 25th and I asked about the roof glass on the truck. I think I found out some information I’ve not read anywhere else yet. First, the full glass ”skylight” will be one of 3 options available. Standard will have no roof glass or sunroof, just a full metal roof. Then I believe I was told there will be an opening sunroof option.. but no other details about that. Then the full customizable (not opening) glass roof with capability to change the opacity and color. And then I was told there would be a “T-top” option. when I heard that last one, I asked again to confirm that she meant a removable roof top of some kind, and she said, “ Yes, they are working on a T-Top option for the roof”.
Sounds like Rivian hasn't really changed anything regarding the roof. For a while now the FAQ section of the Rivian website has stated there will be 4 roof options.
"We will offer multiple roof styles including electrochromic glass (which turns from opaque to transparent on demand), a fixed glass panel, a two-piece removable composite roof and a standard fixed roof.""

Check out the following thread: R1S roof options: glass, 2-piece removable composite, standard fixed roof

Also, from my trip notes I posted when I attended the Normal event back in October 2019:
"All 4 roof options will be available for both the R1S and R1T. The solid roof will be standard. The removable panel”S” will fit within the gear tunnel in the R1T and within the cargo area for the R1S."

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
My sport is rock crawling. I have a purpose built rig that I run through the Rubicon Trail, Fordyce, The Hammers and other local trails. The Rivian wouldn't be an option for that type of offroading, but it certainly appears to be something that I would use for easy to mild offroading
I'm kind of into rock crawling, too, albeit not Fordyce-level but I took my Wrangler thru the Rubicon last year quite easily. Do you think a R1S could make it thru the Rubicon? If not, what modifications would be necessary?

Sponsored

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I'm kind of into rock crawling, too, albeit not Fordyce-level but I took my Wrangler thru the Rubicon last year quite easily. Do you think a R1S could make it thru the Rubicon? If not, what modifications would be necessary?
What size tires are you running on your Wrangler?

It would need bigger tires (I think they were 31's) and a lift. I would also add sliders and even then you will probably take some body damage, unless you are a REALLY good driver. My biggest fear would be the underside. It appears to be covered in plastic. I tend to drop my crawler off rocks and land on the belly quite hard. My crawler has a full belly skid lined with UHMW, so nothing happens. Without knowing what's under the plastic I'd be concerned about damage to the underside and to the batteries. The other thing I noticed is the front and rear bumper fascia is plastic. There are a lot of obstacles on the Rubicon that require a lot of approach or departure angle. You'll undoubtedly dig into the front and rear bumpers.

A few benefits would be no running gear (drivelines, differentials, links, etc.) to get caught up on the rocks. If properly protected the flat belly would be a benefit. If you could control the power to each wheel it would be like locking your diffs on your Wrangler.

I'm sure someone at some point will attempt the Rubicon... I'd like to see someone do it (won't be me). I bet there would be some serious heckling from the other folks out there. :)

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
What size tires are you running on your Wrangler?

It would need bigger tires (I think they were 31's) and a lift. I would also add sliders and even then you will probably take some body damage, unless you are a REALLY good driver. My biggest fear would be the underside. It appears to be covered in plastic. I tend to drop my crawler off rocks and land on the belly quite hard. My crawler has a full belly skid lined with UHMW, so nothing happens. Without knowing what's under the plastic I'd be concerned about damage to the underside and to the batteries. The other thing I noticed is the front and rear bumper fascia is plastic. There are a lot of obstacles on the Rubicon that require a lot of approach or departure angle. You'll undoubtedly dig into the front and rear bumpers.

A few benefits would be no running gear (drivelines, differentials, links, etc.) to get caught up on the rocks. If properly protected the flat belly would be a benefit. If you could control the power to each wheel it would be like locking your diffs on your Wrangler.

I'm sure someone at some point will attempt the Rubicon... I'd like to see someone do it (won't be me). I bet there would be some serious heckling from the other folks out there. :)
I'm running 37x13.5R17 Cooper STT Pros; my previous Jeep, which also did the Rubicon, had 35x12.5R17. The Rivian specs say 275/65R20 which is approximately equivalent to 34x11R20. That's a lot bigger than 31 and maybe almost good enough? And it's probably not too hard to put 35x12s on a Rivian. But with those huge rims there's still not a lot of sidewall so airing down might be trickier.

Do you think all that plastic crud could simply be removed?

As for smashing the underside, Rivian claims to have a robust shield there. Probably fine for little rocks that get kicked up by the tires on a gravel road but is it good enough to take a real hit? I wonder if they test on obstacles like that?

Reactions: Rad

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I'm running 37x13.5R17 Cooper STT Pros; my previous Jeep, which also did the Rubicon, had 35x12.5R17. The Rivian specs say 275/65R20 which is approximately equivalent to 34x11R20. That's a lot bigger than 31 and maybe almost good enough? And it's probably not too hard to put 35x12s on a Rivian. But with those huge rims there's still not a lot of sidewall so airing down might be trickier.

Do you think all that plastic crud could simply be removed?

As for smashing the underside, Rivian claims to have a robust shield there. Probably fine for little rocks that get kicked up by the tires on a gravel road but is it good enough to take a real hit? I wonder if they test on obstacles like that?
I didn't realize the tires were 34". They looked a lot smaller. I agree that a 35x12.5 with a smaller diameter rim to increase the sidewall would be better. 37x12.5 or bigger being ideal, but not sure they'd clear the sheetmetal fenders. As for the plastic underside, I'm sure anything can be removed. If there is a robust shield perhaps remove the plastic and add UHMW to help slide over the rocks.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
...As for smashing the underside, Rivian claims to have a robust shield there. Probably fine for little rocks that get kicked up by the tires on a gravel road but is it good enough to take a real hit? I wonder if they test on obstacles like that?
This year-old article says the battery pack is in a carbon-fiber "ballistic" shield and has been tested with a two-foot drop onto rocks. I've read elsewhere the test was onto a 2 square inch flat plate. I quoted the word ballistic because they don't define it themselves, but generally that means a variant of Kevlar, which is a type of plastic, which is better for having a little "give" to dissipate energy where impact is anticipated.

https://www.teslarati.com/rivian-battery-lab-irvine-california-megapack-production/

gregasarus

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep JL

I'm not entirely sure how a t-top would work on a crew cab, but I’m intrigued. As a side note, I also got the impression that Apple CarPlay will NOT natively work with Rivian infotainment systems. That is disappointing to hear, but I suspect they will have a way for content to be played from an Apple device regardless.
I asked 2 people about the CarPlay and didn't get a straight answer so I asked RJ himself. CarPlay is not going to be there natively but there will be the ability to play music content via the old school iPod style interface.
Sponsored