First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 Kia EV6, 15 Mustang GT Vert
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I don't know what pucks they are using but we've tested the USB ports in our truck and they are limited to 15w. Would be nice to have higher default output but it is enough to run maps/waze and charge at the same time without losing energy at least.
Hi there, can I buy just the bottom and top pieces? I see on your website you sell the top pieces separately but not the bottom piece, without the USB converter. I already have the converter from another design I put on mine and I like this design much better, but don't need any of the electronics as I already have the pucks and converter.

Spaceball1

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 Kia EV6, 15 Mustang GT Vert
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
How is this different than the current charger in the same location?
It will charge the phone AND hold it in place (Magsafe), and you can do two phones at once. Plus this has a larger storage pocket than the factory one.

Ruprecht

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
It will charge the phone AND hold it in place (Magsafe), and you can do two phones at once. Plus this has a larger storage pocket than the factory one.
Ah, Magsafe is an Apple thing. I just set my phone on the charger and it charges. It'll slide a bit but never stops charging. I guess I didn't realize this was an issue for some. Thanks for the response.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Just installed this myself after seeing @thebwk pictures.

It takes a bit of finagling to get installed correctly, maybe 15 minutes of total effort.

Looks and charges great, even with my relatively thick case on my phone. Huge upgrade from the stock charging pad.

Nice job @Sojhinn !

Sponsored

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I also just installed this product and am quite pleased. The tray cover material is a bit soft, so I’d like to see the 3D printed tray offer more of a flat surface for it to lay on, but overall, great job!

Last edited:

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2023 M3P, 2021 Audi SQ5
Occupation
CISO
Clubs

Ah, Magsafe is an Apple thing. I just set my phone on the charger and it charges. It'll slide a bit but never stops charging. I guess I didn't realize this was an issue for some. Thanks for the response.
If you have an Android you can still take advantage of MagSafe by purchasing a MagSafe ring (like this or this). I use one on the outside of my case with a Pixel 7 Pro. Allows for wireless charging and the grip offered by the magnetic ring.

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
That's possible?!?! I quite literally have yet to have my phone charge for more than a minute. It either can't find the connection or finds it, then slides off the minute I move the car.

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
That's possible?!?! I quite literally have yet to have my phone charge for more than a minute. It either can't find the connection or finds it, then slides off the minute I move the car.
One of my beta testers uses a Galaxy Fold. He added a ring says it works great.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Shipping was fast and install was easy, and product is great quality and just as expected - thanks S00nish! My only struggle was with the removal of the original charger- I couldn’t quite see what you were doing with the credit cards in the video. I just used some of the cardboard from the shipping box to hold back each of the three tabs and that worked great. One suggestion for the next round- maybe some sort of imbedded MagSafe magnets in the top plate itself to really take advantage of the holding power potential of MagSafe. My phone charged and stays connected to the MagSafe puck below, but the MagSafe connection through the top layer isn’t super strong. I know this is a challenge keeping this layer thin, though. This is definitely an upgrade from OEM, and a great product in my opinion!

Rivian R1T R1S S00nish Premium Phone Charger Installed Review & Photos IMG_2880

Rivian R1T R1S S00nish Premium Phone Charger Installed Review & Photos IMG_2886

brandtr1t

First Name
Brandt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tiguan
Occupation
Software
I just installed this charger yesterday. I noticed that the wood cover now has an aluminum backing plate, so it does not flex as much during the install, making the install a bit harder than the video. You really have to push down are the charger, and pull up on the surrounding veneer to get it all to go in. Overall I think the 3D template should be about a 1 mm shorter in height to ease install.

I'm using Apple MagSafe pucks for the higher charging rate with iPhone, but I find because of the aluminum plate combined with my iPhone case there isn't much of a MagSafe "locking" feel, and finding the charging spot is a bit harder than I anticipated. Overall, I'm really pleased with the looks after install, but I'm left wishing the charging was a bit better. I'm not sure if aluminum backing plate is needed or not.

In summary:
- Its somewhat difficult to install and could be made about 1mm shorter to ease installation
- Charging is not perfect and you have to hunt for the charger to find the "spot". MagSafe locking doesn't really function. I think this might be due to the added aluminum plate under the fascia.
Sponsored