LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

surprised there wasn't already a celebration thread announcing that "s00n" has finally arrived (or damn soon)
make this a place to express yourself about it.. and let those early-adopters know how jealous the rest of us are.

Rivian R1T R1S s00n is here ... it's SEPTEMBER! super-excited
Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
It’s definitely a fun time to be tuning in. I have to say, I was little overwhelmed yesterday.

An email from Rivian AND the first official media review on the same day?!?!?

…I can tell you I’d have no problem in the backseat as I was already curled up in the fetal position.

Last edited:

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
When will we see actual vehicles in actual independent reviewers hands on YouTube?

Like Rich Rebuilds, Out of Spec motoring, Doug Demuro?

I was hoping we would see more

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
When will we see actual vehicles in actual independent reviewers hands on YouTube?

Like Rich Rebuilds, Out of Spec motoring, Doug Demuro?

I was hoping we would see more
I'd rather Rivian prioritize the First Mile Event Tour and get vehicles in the hands of those that have pre-ordered. I personally don't give a shit what any youtoober has to say about the R1T and R1S.

I've driven long enough, driven on the track, and participated in vehicle several development drives to know what I want and how to evaluate a vehicle.

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
I love YouTube reviews. Especially with Out of Spec motoring. The nuances of EV ownership requires that kind of content for me.

To see the charging speeds across a variety of charging stations is priceless

To see the payment process across a variety of charging station brands is priceless

To see the infotainment system reviewed in detail, and compared & contrasted is priceless

To see the navigation system reviewed in detail, and compared & contrasted is....priceless

The whole experience is new to me; electric vehicles. And I really lean in YouTube reviews to walk me...talk me...and show me the differences. It has become obvious that some features are going to be key in EV ownership. Those to me...are

1. Navigation. The navigation system has to have the charging station data...and even stations free information to really become useful. The thought of pulling up to a slower charger with a queue of 6 cars is dreadful.
  2. Charging rates. The Audi/Porsche & Tesla brands have really proven themselves here. The rates at which they can charge set the standard. It is incredible to see 200...300% increase in performance (or 50% reduction in charge time. However you want to look at to) across 2021 models.
  3. EV station payment processing is a nightmare for every brand but Tesla. It is like Tesla is Apple here, and every other experience is a unreliable, third worldish experience. Until Out of Spec motoring did deep dive road trip videos; I never even knew the charging station could malfunction in so many ways. I never knew they could literally stop charging vehicles 42% charged for no reason. And the whole process requires disconnecting and reinitializing the payment processing request. And plugging it back in

I am not even bringing up build quality, comfort, fit, finish. Just raw EV nuances that only seem to be discussed on YouTube. If I read reviews of my vehicle...on Consumers Report, MotorTrend, Car and Driver...I know I can sometimes walk away wondering if they test drove the right vehicle lol

So yeah. I totally care what YouTube reviewers say. They temper and set expectations better than most

I'd rather Rivian prioritize the First Mile Event Tour and get vehicles in the hands of those that have pre-ordered. I personally don't give a shit what any youtoober has to say about the R1T and R1S.

I've driven long enough, driven on the track, and participated in vehicle several development drives to know what I want and how to evaluate a vehicle.

Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
of any of those I'd rather watch out of spec do it, they're very thorough, and very straight forward. Rich would just be snarky about it or do something dumb (which is why I enjoy his stuff) and Doug meh not a fan of his style. Little too high end tastes for me.

I want detailed experience across 1000 miles. TFL Auto would be a good one they have a great mountain pass climb they do with all the EVs. They also do off road reviews.

Sure deliver all the LEs but those of us who didn't jump on the bandwagon still need details to make a decision.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

If you don't care for YT'ers... then don't visit YouTube

I really don't think a couple more pre-production vehicles for more industry scrutiny is going to postpone deliveries by more than an hour (or less)

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
Is there anything more high-end than a 100k Rivian? :giggle:

I would enjoy TFL also. I blend the reviews opinion. Doug, Rich, Kyle @ Out of Spec Motoring, the old guys on TFL and the younger son (and his perspective). Between those 5-6 people; I kinda get a feel for what is really real.

Marquees Brownlee takes a very.. mainstream consumerist kind of approach; he kinda hits the nail on the head with what is going to be a hit or a miss with consumers

The Rivian brand remains so abstract - the MotorTrend video is the first taste of it I can get, but it is still going to be produced with the creative direction of Rivian (press vehicle). So I know more..but not enough

of any of those I'd rather watch out of spec do it, they're very thorough, and very straight forward. Rich would just be snarky about it or do something dumb (which is why I enjoy his stuff) and Doug meh not a fan of his style. Little too high end tastes for me.

I want detailed experience across 1000 miles. TFL Auto would be a good one they have a great mountain pass climb they do with all the EVs. They also do off road reviews.

Sure deliver all the LEs but those of us who didn't jump on the bandwagon still need details to make a decision.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
R1T with...

max pack (10000)
collapsible cookware (5000....yeah. high end)
Upgraded rims (3500)
Compass Yellow or Rivian Blue (2500)
Compact spare tire (450)
Off-road upgrade (2000)
Forest Edge (2000)
Tent (2500)
Wall charger (500)
SUP mount (220)
Kayak Mount (300)
Ski mount (320)
Bike mount (250 each. X2 = 500)
Floor mats (175)
Off road kit (600)
Field kit (150)

Plus 73k vehicle cost
Plus Cook County Illinois tax of 10.25% is total price tag of;

We're looking at 112k before destination/delivery fees. I am a R1S holder, so no max pack. I expect to be about 10k cheaper - so 101-102k for a Rivian.

This is why the federal vehicle tax credit isn't very important to me; I'm already spending 3x what my previous brand new vehicle cost. It's nice. But if it didn't exist; I wouldn't care. Most would say; I am a "wealthy person" getting a handout from the government person with this purchase

Are we talking US dollars? Try as I might, I can't get my Rivian spec up to 100k.

Sponsored

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
103,215 before tax, destination fee, and EV credit.

Including sales tax; 113,794.54

including EV credit; 106,294.54

If you remove paint, forest green interior, tent, max pack, rims = you save the cost of a new Honda Civic.

Makes sense if you want to consider a vehicle with every possible option (and the most expensive, variation of each option) as a typical spec and then bundle in a high tax rate on top of that. Of course, the tax rebate wasn't mentioned in the calculations but that is besides the point as I think most people when discussing vehicle pricing just go with MSRP.

My R1S spec, which is optioned to my heart's content (paint I want, wheels I want, add ons I want) comes to just under 80k. What does your actual spec come to? If you like, add on tax and subtract the tax rebate for your estimated out the door cost. Well below 100k, right?

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I am curious when the first vehicle recipients will get a firm delivery date. Rivian can’t just say on September 30th “Hey xxxxx, your truck is ready NOW”. People need to arrange funding, schedules, etc.
Sponsored