Sponsored

Running boards - Under body panels mounting points

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Has anyone tried removing the panels that expose the hard lift points?

Rivian R1T R1S Running boards - Under body panels mounting points Screenshot_20220912-074016_Drive

Rivian R1T R1S Running boards - Under body panels mounting points Screenshot_20220912-074033_Drive

Ahead of getting my T later this month, I started thinking of what it would take to add running boards for the vertically challenged in my family.
The 6 mounting points for these panels have a 10mm bolt head, was wondering if anyone has measured the tread length and bolt diameter used? Assuming it bolts into the frame, that information would make it possible to calculate the max load carrying capacity and shear points of the bolts to determine if using those mounting points is a possibility.

Although, even if it could take the load, I don't think I'd be comfortable with just a single fastening pont on one end...hopefully there are more tapped holes under the panel that could be used.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
If it uses a 10mm socket, it's probably an M6 (roughly 1/4") bolt. A single one of those is nowhere near strong enough to be reliable for running boards. I haven't seen what you are referring to, but if there are multiple holes, a bracket that spans multiple holes might work.

I would hope that Rivian planned ahead for proper mounting of running boards and sliders....?

OP
OP

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
If it uses a 10mm socket, it's probably an M6 (roughly 1/4") bolt. A single one of those is nowhere near strong enough to be reliable for running boards. I haven't seen what you are referring to, but if there are multiple holes, a bracket that spans multiple holes might work.

I would hope that Rivian planned ahead for proper mounting of running boards and sliders....?
Thanks, didn't even think that part through...the answer was in the question.
Looks like it'll come down to using the other frame bolts that implied in the picture.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Found on the inter web.

Rivian is supposedly testing OEM running boards and a winch. My guess is that both will be offered in 2023 along with a new color choice or two.
Rivian R1T R1S Running boards - Under body panels mounting points 38FA9E6D-52E2-40FB-BC2E-870170527D00

OP
OP

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Found on the inter web.

Rivian is supposedly testing OEM running boards and a winch. My guess is that both will be offered in 2023 along with a new color choice or two.
38FA9E6D-52E2-40FB-BC2E-870170527D00.jpeg
Yep..

That one has been floating around since the beginning of this year.
Just didn't want to wait for something wasn't confirmed.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Found on the inter web.

38FA9E6D-52E2-40FB-BC2E-870170527D00.jpeg
Here's a discussion about this picture, not much useful info.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Yep..

That one has been floating around since the beginning of this year.
Just didn't want to wait for something wasn't confirmed.
Well, I think the point is that it suggests that it is possible to mount them, unless it's a completely modified underbody or a proprietary mounting method, which I highly doubt.

OP
OP

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Well, I think the point is that it suggests that it is possible to mount them, unless it's a completely modified underbody or a proprietary mounting method, which I highly doubt.
What we don't know is what changes were made, if any, between the unit in the picture and the production units. I would want to assume that just because there is a picture floating around it is a done deal.

That said, there probably are a number of mounting points that could be used, just don't know without taking a look.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
That's not factory. Someone walking down the street saw a Rivian with running boards and took this picture. I lightened the shadows to show the details more clearly.

Rivian R1T R1S Running boards - Under body panels mounting points rivian-r1t-running-boards-jpeg.5880

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
I haven't removed the panels, but I've been under mine a number of times now trying to figure out how boards might mount on. The issue I see is there is either (1) going to be cutting away the underbody plastic to allow boards to mount directly to the frame without plastic between them or (2) there's going to be smashed plastic between the boards and the frame.

If I wasn't worried about modifying/cutting plastic away from the shield panels that are there, I'd have custom ones on mine already. What I'm scared of is cutting the plastic and allowing dirt/water/whatever to get in behind the panels and then things start to go wrong and Rivian finds I cut away part of my truck to allow for boards and tells me I'm F'd.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I sent an email into Amp Powersteps a few weeks back and have heard crickets. May try their local installer to see if existing Amps can be retrofit or at minimum get a template to Amp parent.
Sponsored