Rumor: New R1 from Feb getting upgraded suspension air compressor

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Yup agreed. I asked the guy in the original post (it's on FB) about the 12volt missing and he doesn't understand / know the difference between a center console and the dash lol.
Yeah he also told me there are no ill effects to the front tires by using Conserve mode excessively during local driving....yikes.
Sponsored

cthomp88

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, BMW X5 M50i, soon-to-own R1S
Occupation
Pilot
FWIW I text my guide this morning about the air compressor and his response was “I heard that we’re going with a larger air compressor in new models. I can check and see if yours has it.”

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
FWIW I text my guide this morning about the air compressor and his response was “I heard that we’re going with a larger air compressor in new models. I can check and see if yours has it.”
The beauty of waiting a little longer for an order is that some changes such as these are for the better!

I'd trade a larger compressor over outlets any day of the week...

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I already have my truck and I’m not worried about it. Either my compressor is up to snuff or it isn’t. If it isn’t then it’s going to break under warranty and Rivian will give me a new one. If it is sufficient as is then who cares.

It is interesting to track the evolution of changes but it’s important to note that anyone with their truck already shouldn’t feel slighted over this.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I already have my truck and I’m not worried about it. Either my compressor is up to snuff or it isn’t. If it isn’t then it’s going to break under warranty and Rivian will give me a new one. If it is sufficient as is then who cares.

It is interesting to track the evolution of changes but it’s important to note that anyone with their truck already shouldn’t feel slighted over this.
Agreed. All of these end up being small puts and takes along the journey.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY

For sure! I take it as more that Rivian is continuing to improve its products consistently

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

It won't necessarily break (and thus be covered under warranty) - it may just be noisy and may take longer than preferred to raise your truck up (after it has been lowered). And each of those may get worse over time, without incurring warranty coverage.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
It won't necessarily break (and thus be covered under warranty) - it may just be noisy and may take longer than preferred to raise your truck up (after it has been lowered). And each of those may get worse over time, without incurring warranty coverage.
Yeah maybe, but I don't really hear mine now too often and I suspect there is a limit to how noisy/ slow it will get before being actually broken and therefore covered.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

I do have concerns (about more than just the air compressor) about all the stuff that will break outside of the warranty but wasn't "up to snuff".

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification

The problem I have is the speed at which the compression changes ride height. Here's a comparison:
2019 RAM 1500 Limited - Lowest exit mode to highest off-road mode ~15 seconds
R1T - Lowest sport mode to highest off-road mode ~ 2 minutes

The R1T empties the bottle in a few seconds and then stuggles for almost 2 minutes, the change in height is almost imperceptible while the compressor is running. On the RAM, you see/feel the movement until it's done. Maybe I'm an outlier but I did have my whole system gone over and fixed when I had the leaks.

This is a bit of a dissapointment. There's two ways out of my neighboorhood and one requires a high offroad mode and I get there in about 30 seconds. This was never a problem in the RAM. WIth the R1T, I wait in the driveway or go the other way.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I do have concerns (about more than just the air compressor) about all the stuff that will break outside of the warranty but wasn't "up to snuff".
I don't, but that has much more to do with my plan of either getting a new R1 or something else before the warranty period was up.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
The problem I have is the speed at which the compression changes ride height. Here's a comparison:
2019 RAM 1500 Limited - Lowest exit mode to highest off-road mode ~15 seconds
R1T - Lowest sport mode to highest off-road mode ~ 2 minutes

The R1T empties the bottle in a few seconds and then stuggles for almost 2 minutes, the change in height is almost imperceptible while the compressor is running. On the RAM, you see/feel the movement until it's done. Maybe I'm an outlier but I did have my whole system gone over and fixed when I had the leaks.

This is a bit of a dissapointment. There's two ways out of my neighboorhood and one requires a high offroad mode and I get there in about 30 seconds. This was never a problem in the RAM. WIth the R1T, I wait in the driveway or go the other way.
Maybe if I had those issues I would feel differently but it takes me that referenced 30 seconds if that to switch modes. I haven't actually timed it but you can physically see and feel the truck moving up in stages front than rear. It's pretty neat and doesn't take long for me.

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
I get sad sometimes knowing I won't see my Jan 23 order of my R1S for a long time..But I am also kinda happy knowing that by the time I do receive it a lot of little things will be changed and the overall quality will be a bit better.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Maybe if I had those issues I would feel differently but it takes me that referenced 30 seconds if that to switch modes. I haven't actually timed it but you can physically see and feel the truck moving up in stages front than rear. It's pretty neat and doesn't take long for me.
Yep the lift is quick and obvious until the bottle empties... then slooooow. (at least for me). I'm curious what others are seeing, maybe I have yet another compressor issue?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yep the lift is quick and obvious until the bottle empties... then slooooow. (at least for me). I'm curious what others are seeing, maybe I have yet another compressor issue?
Yeah maybe. I go from sport to high pretty quickly. I never really put it in highest from lowest though so maybe that’s why I’m not having issues. For my use case it’s plenty fast.
Sponsored