RTT Over the R1T Cab? Anyone?

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I've seen lots of photos of RTT installs using the bed mounted crossbars, but has anyone installed and used a RTT over the R1T cab? Other than aero-drag, is there any reason not to try this? I'm wanting to integrate an awning with the RTT, and concerned that the bed mount RTT will be too low to be able to stand comfortably under the awning. I'm tentatively looking at the iKamper Skycamp 3.0 mini and awning that zips to the tent opening. Anyone have examples or ideas to share on this?
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I can't see any reason other that aero not to mount to the roof. People do this all the time on SUVs, also a lot of truck owners use cab height racks and mount the tent higher over the bed. I guess some might not want to cover the glass roof either.

For me lower is better for both aero and ease of getting my dog up there, can't think of any other downside.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The only reasons I can think of not to try it would be aero and the possibility of cracking the apparently very fragile roof glass. I would say go for it As long as you’re extra careful installing it up there.

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

My biggest concern with using the roof is that fragility of the glass. Getting the top up and down from the room presents more risk of striking the roof and breaking it. Other than that I'd consider it for my oversized RTT.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I don't think I would want the wind noise there above the cab same reason I'm looking at the awnings that use a suction cup to the roof so nothing will be mounted up there while driving.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Looked to me that both, in the settings chosen, impinged upon door opening...or maybe not

Last edited:
OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I don't think I would want the wind noise there above the cab same reason I'm looking at the awnings that use a suction cup to the roof so nothing will be mounted up there while driving.
I agree.. a lot of my camping trips are less than 2 hour drive from home; I could live with the aero and noise effects on shorter trips...longer trips need to be bed mounted.
Sponsored